UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Game #13: 12/18/19 - 8:30PM @ St. Johns

Eli

No doubt WB is a big game coach. I’d just like to see him treat every game as an America east championship or NCAA tournament game.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to say this team should be able to at least start the season 3-0 with games against Bing, Maine, and UNH.

10 minutes ago, UA'08 said:

No doubt WB is a big game coach. I’d just like to see him treat every game as an America east championship or NCAA tournament game.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to say this team should be able to at least start the season 3-0 with games against Bing, Maine, and UNH.

Not so sure about wins vs UNH and Bing.  Bing has 5 wins(4 vs D1) and UNH has 6(4 vs D1).  Pretty sure that are the most wins both teams have had before Xmas in the past 5 years.  In fact UNH only lost by 13 to St John's.  We could easily lose against teams like that if UA plays with their heads up their arse.

1 hour ago, nysteve661 said:

Not so sure about wins vs UNH and Bing.  Bing has 5 wins(4 vs D1) and UNH has 6(4 vs D1).  Pretty sure that are the most wins both teams have had before Xmas in the past 5 years.  In fact UNH only lost by 13 to St John's.  We could easily lose against teams like that if UA plays with their heads up their arse.

0 and 3 is far more likely than 3 and 0...this team can lose against 5 bar stools. Having said that... When on they can roll anyone in the ae not named uvm by 20. That's the crazy thing... 

Edited by Clickclack
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

0 and 3 is far more likely than 3 and 0...this team can lose against 5 bar stools. Having said that... When on they can roll anyone in the ae not named uvm by 20. That's the crazy thing... 

Well if we are a top tier America East program like some like to believe, going 0-3 is unacceptable. Which means there’s a problem somewhere.

12 hours ago, dslyank said:

Jimbo not doubting your #s; but curious are you counting uvm's champs  all time or just those since UA joined the league. Remember they have been in  the AmEast and also DI, a lot longer than UA. Also, did you find any commissioner cups for vt? I think NOT.

Also, like my comment to click:  I am NOT trying to knock vt's BB program [they have/had amazing success!] I am just saying it is a little unfair comparing their BB program to UA's. vt is basically a one sport program and at D1 a lot longer than UA.

Just America East for UVM, 1988 forward. So I didn’t factor out the years that UA was not in the AE. If I take those out the UVM numbers drop by 18 overall and 8 in WBB. So it looks like 106 to 25 in UA’s favor😀

Edited by jimbo
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Clickclack said:

And 299k difference is 14.5% not 20%.

Not to split hairs but 299,000/1,700,000 = 17.5% more than what UA spends on basketball. [or another way of looking at it 1,700,000 X 1.175 = 1,997,500]. The point is that 299,000 PER YEAR is a very significant amount of money. That represents over $5,000,000 more dollars on basketball since UA joined the AmEast. $5 million more dollars towards recruiting, scholarships, coaching, whatever. {certainly NOT spent a facilities.}

That being said I DO NOT DISAGREE with you at all on the state of UA basketball. In fact I'm very concerned about the state of UA athletics in general. UnLike many I am not convinced football is "back";  I'm unhappy with UA's overall athletic vision; unhappy with facilities and how revenue is allocated and generated and unhappy with unresolved title IX issues; and more. I know you share many of these same concerns. 

I am not disagreeing with your basketball assessment, but offering it should be looked at in a more holistic athletic approach. IMHO vt does NOT have near the breath of programing and successes and possibly issues as UA athletics overall. And IMHO it is not a fair comparison when looking at vt BB vs UA basketball as program singular vs program singular. Want to compare vt. BB to someone try comparing them to $ienna.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dslyank said:

Not to split hairs but 299,000/1,700,000 = 17.5% more than what UA spends on basketball. [or another way of looking at it 1,700,000 X 1.175 = 1,997,500]. The point is that 299,000 PER YEAR is a very significant amount of money. That represents over $5,000,000 more dollars on basketball since UA joined the AmEast. $5 million more dollars towards recruiting, scholarships, coaching, whatever. {certainly NOT spent a facilities.}

That being said I DO NOT DISAGREE with you at all on the state of UA basketball. In fact I'm very concerned about the state of UA athletics in general. UnLike many I am not convinced football is "back";  I'm unhappy with UA's overall athletic vision; unhappy with facilities and how revenue is allocated and generated and unhappy with unresolved title IX issues; and more. I know you share many of these same concerns. 

I am not disagreeing with your basketball assessment, but offering it should be looked at in a more holistic athletic approach. IMHO vt does NOT have near the breath of programing and successes and possibly issues as UA athletics overall. And IMHO it is not a fair comparison when looking at vt BB vs UA basketball as program singular vs program singular. Want to compare vt. BB to someone try comparing them to $ienna.

Listen, I get it...I see where you are coming from I just disagree that it's that significant off a difference to see what we are seeing. 

Additionally, Siena's MBB budget is 3.57mill/per UVM's is 1.99mil/per...that's an even worse comparison and shows that straight up cash doesn't dictate success of program and goes to my point that the difference in quality of programs we are seeing is not a function of a difference in 300k annually but rather all the other things from administration to coaching to recruiting that goes into building a solid program. 

As you said, I share many of your concerns. I'm optimistic after this year regarding football but like you, I'm not ready to extend any contracts or offer any raises. Great building block year last year, really a banner year but let's see if it can be sustained, not saying they need to get to 2nd round again but can we continue to field and exciting product.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, UA'08 said:

I was thinking about your big game comment last night.  If you can't get your team up for a nationally broadcast game against a local rival with a long storied basketball history, and a win would raise the profile of the school and help recruiting, than what IS a big game?

2 hours ago, BestDaneSinceHamlet said:

I was thinking about your big game comment last night.  If you can't get your team up for a nationally broadcast game against a local rival with a long storied basketball history, and a win would raise the profile of the school and help recruiting, than what IS a big game?

5-1 in America East championship games,  luck or not I would say he’s a big game coach.

• Like 2

• Eli changed the title to Game #13: 12/18/19 - 8:30PM @ St. Johns