UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Class of 2021 Football Recruits

Just a general question in the recruiting line of thought: NY has almost as much population as as NJ and PA combined.  Why does NY lag well behind those two states when it comes to D1 football talent?

31 minutes ago, jimbo said:

Just a general question in the recruiting line of thought: NY has almost as much population as as NJ and PA combined.  Why does NY lag well behind those two states when it comes to D1 football talent?

Good question.

3 hours ago, HOF2013 said:

Good question.

Can't explain NJ but gonna throw this out there for PA.  I think it's Penn St football.  You have one of the biggest programs in the country that every HS kid in PA wants to play for.  I'm sure Penn St has plenty of camps every year for HS players and coaches to improve their play.  Combine that with HS programs and coaches who want to get their kids to that elite level at the flagship university.  This leads to just better players, more involved HS programs, and more knowledgeable coaches.  But of course Penn St can't take every good player in the state so that's where we come in.  If Syracuse was in the Big 10, won some ships, and had a stadium like Beaver stadium, we might see more talent in NY and then get some of those players a notch below Big 10 talent.  Make sense?  My theory doesn't quite work for NJ cause Rutgers hasn't had the success or following PSU has.

34 minutes ago, nysteve661 said:

Can't explain NJ but gonna throw this out there for PA.  I think it's Penn St football.  You have one of the biggest programs in the country that every HS kid in PA wants to play for.  I'm sure Penn St has plenty of camps every year for HS players and coaches to improve their play.  Combine that with HS programs and coaches who want to get their kids to that elite level at the flagship university.  This leads to just better players, more involved HS programs, and more knowledgeable coaches.  But of course Penn St can't take every good player in the state so that's where we come in.  If Syracuse was in the Big 10, won some ships, and had a stadium like Beaver stadium, we might see more talent in NY and then get some of those players a notch below Big 10 talent.  Make sense?  My theory doesn't quite work for NJ cause Rutgers hasn't had the success or following PSU has.

New Jersey also has a VERY strong Catholic league with huge football traditions that other areas don't have. (Don Bosco, Bergen Catholic, etc)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nysteve661 said:

When I saw this pondering.. My 1st thoughts were Penn St, Pitt ...I reminded myself of the long tradition between Leigh and Lafayette two other PA schools ... Football is part of PA DNA ... New York has strong tradition of DIII Football.  Lastly, Penn St is a mega campus... Like nearly or all teams in its conference ... Mega campus equals mega stadium ...

Thanks. I don't really have a theory other than to say NY is not a D1 football hotbed. Army had some great years, but nothing since the NFL/AFL started paying enough that an Army career and all of the years of service wasn't worth it to the top players. Syracuse had some good years with McNabb and the the other option QBs, but they're 60 years out from being top dog. UB is low level FBS and will probably remain. I think not having true HS state champions doesn't help as NYC, LI and the Catholic leagues are all separate. But Cali is all broken up too, but with that population a statewide tourney would be unwieldy. Its just baffling to me how there's such a difference in real or perceived overall talent. Oh well...something to ponder. 

• Like 1

Cj Smith, Oxbridge Academy, West Palm Beach, FL, CB, 6' 3", 190 Lbs..4.5740  https://twitter.com/Cj_Csmith  Listed as a safety at Nebraska,  redshirted - was listed as the nation's #19 Safety out of HS..

I’m so thankful for this opportunity, just want to thank Albany University and the entire coaching staff for believing in me and giving me a second chance. With that being said i’m 1000% Committed to Albany University.  @CoachDavila  #AllPraiseTheMostHigh🙏🏾

Committed to U Albany

https://huskers.com/news/2018/2/7/211696199.aspx

EZILLLpWoAQZCSx?format=jpg&name=medium

Edited by HOF2013
  • Thanks 1

Kid is as big time as it gets.  Was on track to be a star at Nebraska until a major knee injury.  His brother was on the Saints, I think.  Not sure if he got a Med waiver and we have him for three years or we get him for two.  
if he’s half the player he was pre injury we have a stud at safety.  

this year’s transfer pickups are very much like what JMU does each year.  Gotta sag, Gattuso has this train on the track. 

11 hours ago, Dane96 said:

Kid is as big time as it gets.  Was on track to be a star at Nebraska until a major knee injury.  His brother was on the Saints, I think.  Not sure if he got a Med waiver and we have him for three years or we get him for two.  
if he’s half the player he was pre injury we have a stud at safety.  

this year’s transfer pickups are very much like what JMU does each year.  Gotta sag, Gattuso has this train on the track. 

He was redshirted for one of those years, so three I hope.  I agree, could be a stud.  He was listed as the nation's #19 Safety out of HS..

Edited by HOF2013

18 hours ago, HOF2013 said:

Cj Smith, Oxbridge Academy, West Palm Beach, FL, CB, 6' 3", 190 Lbs..4.5740  https://twitter.com/Cj_Csmith  Listed as a safety at Nebraska,  redshirted - was listed as the nation's #19 Safety out of HS..

I’m so thankful for this opportunity, just want to thank Albany University and the entire coaching staff for believing in me and giving me a second chance. With that being said i’m 1000% Committed to Albany University.  @CoachDavila  #AllPraiseTheMostHigh🙏🏾

Committed to U Albany

https://huskers.com/news/2018/2/7/211696199.aspx

EZILLLpWoAQZCSx?format=jpg&name=medium

High School teammate was V’Lique Carter (transfer from Pitt).

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, reeder said:

High School teammate was V’Lique Carter (transfer from Pitt).

South Florida football is probably the best skill position recruiting area in the country, so this would be a HUGE area to open up.  I imagine the wide-open Joe Davis style is alluring to some of those (like V'Lique) too,

• Like 1

Michael Otty, Brooklyn, NY MIDWOOD high school, 6’1", 285 lbs, DL,   https://twitter.com/OttyMichael   https://www.hudl.com/video/3/11669390/5de6bc7364e06516106aca6d
After having a great conversation with @Coach_Mince54.  I am excited to announce that I have received an offer from University Of Albany.

Committed to Bryant

Edited by HOF2013

AJ Barber, Greenwich High School. Ct, WR / DB, 5' 10" 175 lbs., 4.5 40,   https://twitter.com/Atiim15Barber   https://www.hudl.com/profile/9558599/AJ-Barber
Very excited to receive and offer from UAlbany! @Coach_Mince54 @GreenwichFB

Committed to Princeton

Edited by HOF2013