UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BestDaneSinceHamlet

Binghamton Facilities

$60 million is a lot of money.  For perspective, our endowment is only $71 million, our football stadium was $24 million and I’d guess good minor league stadiums are probably less than $30 million. 

What can they possibly build for that much money?  $60 million would probably satisfy our wishlist for football and basketball.

That said, congratulations and good for them. 

5 hours ago, reeder said:

$60 million is a lot of money.  For perspective, our endowment is only $71 million, our football stadium was $24 million and I’d guess good minor league stadiums are probably less than $30 million. 

What can they possibly build for that much money?  $60 million would probably satisfy our wishlist for football and basketball.

Also; IF MLB plan for the minors comes to fruition {and I know there is a lot of opposition and government involvement now}, Binghamton is one of the minor teams scheduled for the ax. So you would think there would be NO combined plan or purpose for such a facility. What the heck would an AmEast team need with such a thing?? IMHO bingo would be better off building a covered field house for that amount--upgrading their lacrosse, track field & soccer programs. But its NOT my money so all the BEST to them I guess.

• Like 1

Look, I applaud the ability to get the single largest public school athletic gift in NYS history.  However, this is a waste of funds.  I don't care how great your facilities are...no one wants to live in Vestal for 10 months a year from areas they would need to recruit to become a legit national powerhouse on a yearly basis, e.g. the deep south.

These facilities are quite frankly better than MANY Power 5 facilities, including that of the SEC, Big 12, and ACC...regular baseball powerhouse leagues.

If this gift was restricted to baseball only, i get it...not much they can do.  But if not, this is a joke.  If I were the soccer and lacrosse teams I would be pissed.  They could have broken this up and made themselves a powerhouse, facility wise, in lax / soccer / baseball / softball / track and field, and built an indoor practice facility.

Even bigger roadblock to get to consistent national prominence: academics.  Coming off the heels of the basketball fiasco, no way are they lowering their standards that they would require to do what is necessary to become a power.

I dunno...again, I applaud the ability to secure the gift...but I feel it is a waste of $$$.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dslyank said:

Also; IF MLB plan for the minors comes to fruition {and I know there is a lot of opposition and government involvement now}, Binghamton is one of the minor teams scheduled for the ax. So you would think there would be NO combined plan or purpose for such a facility. What the heck would an AmEast team need with such a thing?? IMHO bingo would be better off building a covered field house for that amount--upgrading their lacrosse, track field & soccer programs. But its NOT my money so all the BEST to them I guess.

The current arena has the indoor track and field facilities in it.

7 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

I don't know why, but this feels like the movie "My Blue Heaven"

Probably 1 of my top 5 favorite movies.

Wondering if some of this money would endowe the baseball team.  Also didn't Bing update their baseball and softball facilities back when we built the football stadium?

What Bing alum has that kind of money to drop on baseball facilities of all things?