UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Drexal, Saturday 02-22-2020 100 PM

15 minutes ago, UAalum72 said:

Attendance today 1586, just under last week. What’s Fallon’s max, 2000?

Ed: Wiki says 2500, but I don’t think we ever got close to that

We won face offs 17-15. Altimari was 16 for 28. But we lost GBs 38-50

I thought Altimari was over 50% - good job.  Has to hang on the ball after the win though!    The team can NOT continue to lose ground balls like that and beat better teams.  Half the time our kids seem to be standing and not even attempting to go after the ground balls!!  It is frustrating as hell!!

20 hours ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

It was a pretty decent day weather wise. Late in the game the sun did seem to cause a few turnovers, especially when Drexel had a couple of clean breaks and I think one of our late turnover was due to the sun.

YES. This was absolutely the case. Especially late. At least twice in the fourth qtr with UA attacking north, UA players lost perfect passes. In one instance, I think it was #15 or 16, he actually ducked to avoid being hit right in the head almost in front of the UA bench. My friend turned to me and asked doesn't UA practice on this field and why send a long pass in that direction? All I could say was, sometimes that is just where the clear develops. Also, don't really know if the team practices @ Casey or Fallen and also time of day??

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

Rarely disagree with your takes, but have to on this one. IMO Kozar is probably our most solid man on defender. Both of the freshmen had so so days at best, and once again one of the other starters refuses to ever body up. I have high hopes both Pepe and Piseno, but after what I have seen with real bullets flying, both are getting way, way too much time on the field. Filipowski and Barrow have earned the advantage over both of them \.

Agree with 2018; especially disappointed with Piseno both yesterday and last week.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

I believe it was Fingar who had the rough day. I want to say he got beat at least three times, and Schwab was probably once. The defense got a lot of gifts. The goals against don't reflect the quality of the team defense. Siekerski didn't have a great game, but he stole a few when we had total breakdowns. Drexel at least 4-5 transition opportunities. 

Very happy for the boys to get the win, but Drexel handed that one to us with a bow on it.

Not sure which middie getting beat the most. I kind of like using many of them, keep them fresh and also the new NON-TWO-WAY system may take some getting use to, especially for those accustomed to going two-way. I agree Siekerski has NOT been especially sharp either week, but he has been facing pretty potent attacks both weeks, and UA's D is definitely a work in progress. Been wondering about the health of Sands who looked very good in the St J's scrimmage, even if he only played late>

Not sure why you feel the win was a gift. Thought UA played pretty well overall and if any thing I thought UA worked for their goals while quite a few of Drexel"s were gifts from UA errors. Also, Drexel solid team overall--lost to High Point by a late goal I believe. Some on IL thinking Drexel can be a factor in the caa.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dslyank said:

Not sure which middie getting beat the most. I kind of like using many of them, keep them fresh and also the new NON-TWO-WAY system may take some getting use to, especially for those accustomed to going two-way. I agree Siekerski has NOT been especially sharp either week, but he has been facing pretty potent attacks both weeks, and UA's D is definitely a work in progress. Been wondering about the health of Sands who looked very good in the St J's scrimmage, even if he only played late>

Not sure why you feel the win was a gift. Thought UA played pretty well overall and if any thing I thought UA worked for their goals while quite a few of Drexel"s were gifts from UA errors. Also, Drexel solid team overall--lost to High Point by a late goal I believe. Some on IL thinking Drexel can be a factor in the caa.

I thought it was a pretty well played game live, but after I watched the replay today I definitely felt we got away with one. Down the stretch Drexel had 4-5 opportunities where the defense was not hustling to get back and they had very makable transition opportunities. On one of them Kozar made a nice play and got his stick in the way and disrupted one, Siekerisi while he didn't have a great day stole one, and the other they just flat threw the ball away.

I was very happy to see the influx of defensive middies. That will pay dividends in the future. I was happy to see the coaches realize that Yunker needs to be starting.

I think the defense will improve as the bigger defensive middies get their feet wet and mesh with the four long poles. The overall hustle on defense needs to improve and someone needs to start owning the crease. Too much happy stick checks and not enough body.

I like working in some of the freshmen. That will be valuable down the road, but a little too much of that when their are experience guys who can play and deserve the benefit of the doubt.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

I thought it was a pretty well played game live, but after I watched the replay today I definitely felt we got away with one. Down the stretch Drexel had 4-5 opportunities where the defense was not hustling to get back and they had very makable transition opportunities. On one of them Kozar made a nice play and got his stick in the way and disrupted one, Siekerisi while he didn't have a great day stole one, and the other they just flat threw the ball away.

I was very happy to see the influx of defensive middies. That will pay dividends in the future. I was happy to see the coaches realize that Yunker needs to be starting.

I think the defense will improve as the bigger defensive middies get their feet wet and mesh with the four long poles. The overall hustle on defense needs to improve and someone needs to start owning the crease. Too much happy stick checks and not enough body.

I like working in some of the freshmen. That will be valuable down the road, but a little too much of that when their are experience guys who can play and deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Well stated but I still disagree that we stole one.  I absolutely think we gave them almost 1/2 of their goals.   We also had bad passes out of bounds, missed balls, a LOT of unforced turnovers.  If you look just at the end of the game yes I agree BUT if one looks at the entire game it's almost like we tried to give it to them.

A couple of the kids do very well with stick checks.  I don't have a problem with some not getting body-to- body hits. Some just don't have the build - I see they are in the weight room - I posted a video that I found somewhere.

Do the coaches sit with the team and go through the game films?  I assume they must.  THAT is a great teacher - the film doesn't lie.

I actually really like using subs frequently.  However, there comes time on Defense especially where they need to settle on  a group.  Also the wings being constantly changed is a little discomforting.  They all were aggressive - some don't seem to do as well. 

Edited by HOF2013

13 hours ago, HOF2013 said:

Well stated but I still disagree that we stole one.  I absolutely think we gave them almost 1/2 of their goals.   We also had bad passes out of bounds, missed balls, a LOT of unforced turnovers.  If you look just at the end of the game yes I agree BUT if one looks at the entire game it's almost like we tried to give it to them.

A couple of the kids do very well with stick checks.  I don't have a problem with some not getting body-to- body hits. Some just don't have the build - I see they are in the weight room - I posted a video that I found somewhere.

Do the coaches sit with the team and go through the game films?  I assume they must.  THAT is a great teacher - the film doesn't lie.

I actually really like using subs frequently.  However, there comes time on Defense especially where they need to settle on  a group.  Also the wings being constantly changed is a little discomforting.  They all were aggressive - some don't seem to do as well. 

The reason I would say it was a bit of a gift is that despite competing against a solid FOGO we still got killed on ground balls, especially one's around our goal. If you go back and watch the replay, there were 4-5 transition opportunities late in the game where the defense failed to hustle back into the hole where Drexel had very high percentage scoring opportunities and didn't cash in on any of them.  

I watched the replay last night because I missed it live.  I'm very happy to see them beat the #12 team in the country.  Yes, there was sloppy play, yes Drexel missed some opportunities but so did UA. I counted at least 3 times where their goalie made a great save on a very close shot or we missed an easy scoring opportunity so it goes both ways.  

1 hour ago, DanesRGood said:

I watched the replay last night because I missed it live.  I'm very happy to see them beat the #12 team in the country.  Yes, there was sloppy play, yes Drexel missed some opportunities but so did UA. I counted at least 3 times where their goalie made a great save on a very close shot or we missed an easy scoring opportunity so it goes both ways.  

That was a mistake - Drexel was not ranked. Their only game was against High Point which looked like an OK loss, but High Point got throttled by Cornell worse than we did.

13 minutes ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

That was a mistake - Drexel was not ranked. Their only game was against High Point which looked like an OK loss, but High Point got throttled by Cornell worse than we did.

Ah, OK.  ESPN broadcast had me fooled.  haha!  Said 12 next to their name the whole game. 

On 2/24/2020 at 8:14 AM, AlbanyFan2018 said:

The reason I would say it was a bit of a gift is that despite competing against a solid FOGO we still got killed on ground balls, especially one's around our goal. If you go back and watch the replay, there were 4-5 transition opportunities late in the game where the defense failed to hustle back into the hole where Drexel had very high percentage scoring opportunities and didn't cash in on any of them.  

I agree with that, but we still gave the ball up on stupid turnovers a lot again.

On 2/24/2020 at 10:21 AM, AlbanyFan2018 said:

I still think we are far better than we played against Cornell.  Ground balls 50 - 38!!!!!!!!!!!!!!