UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Game #30: 2/29/2020 @ 7pm vs Stony Brook

6 hours ago, Bball2020 said:

Team had a strong showing tonight, tough home loss but they almost had them! Stony brook is very talented! Cant wait for next year!!

We played well defensively yesterday. Stony Brook was missing their best player and the players thay played the best were seniors. I'm not giving up on next year but let me ask you this: who on the roster next year played well last night, or recently that gives you any real confidence? 

Rizzuto has played much much better but he is a roll player right now. We have at least 3 (maybe 4) scholarships next year. No playing time should be promised. That's how u need to recruit.  

Assuming that UA will lose to UVM on Tuesday, the regular season will end on a very disappointing slide. I just want this season to end mercifully early. I don't have much hope for much success in the tournament, even given Brown's usually good preparation for that special part of the season. To say that this season has been a great disappointment to me is a huge understatement. With increased player experience and a successful summer of play and team bonding in Canada, I was honestly expecting much more from this team; instead, I saw a drastic decline of play as the season progressed. I almost dread game day now. When I compare this year's team to the squads of our early Division I days, I am very pessimistic. Back then I was thrilled with being competitive even against very highly-ranked teams, such as UCLA and Duke. Now I don't hold much hope out for our prospects against mediocre teams. You can accuse me of being overly pessimistic in the short run, but I have been a UA basketball fan for 50 years, and I have a long-term perspective. I can't remember being so down our our future prospects. Yes, this year's team seems to be injury-prone, but it also seems like UA teams always have a high number of critical injuries. I sincerely hope I am very wrong about the near future, and this team rebounds.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Dane06grad said:

Someone mentioned in a post that Hansen that has been mismanaged this year. That was on full display last night. He played excellent! I thought Clark was great too. A couple rushed shots but who else would you rather taken the shots? The kid has guts and plays hard. 

Hansen has played very well the last 10 games or so but I'm not 100 percent sure about mismanaging him. He was really really bad the first 10 games.  Shot like 25 percent and was out of postion all the time. He has really evolved as a player. In this case it was a good coaching job. Makes me wonder about the other players. 

• Like 3

This has been all around a strange year, i expected 9-7 with a chance of 10-6. The league as a whole has been unusually competitive top to bottom besides maine. Even Bing had some nice wins. That being said, i think the sophomores will come back better as most sophomores do, add jojo anderson and amica to mix, bring in four jucos and possibly two will help. You just never know. This roster just doesnt click and thats obvious. Hutchensen shouldnt be playing at all however who is to say Browns not doing that to keep the kid from transferring because he projects to be good when hes older. Hoping we get unh in playoffs , anyone beside vermont. Then next year starts. You guys should read the stony brook fans they want ford out and there in second place. Lol.

We can play with and beat last night's SBU team, but the thing that surprised me the most was how much better shape they were in physically than we were. Not only more athletic with ups, but just appeared to spend more time in the weight room.

I can't get over how poorly Healy has shot the ball over the last 2 weeks. Seems flat and off.

I wouldn't be surprised if the team plays well and makes it to the AE championship game, or even wins that game and plays in the PIG. That said, I also wouldn't be surprised if we get blown out in the first round of the playoffs by 20+. What team shows up? The one that scored a 100 against UML and outside of a freak half court shot at the buzzer played even with UVM for the first half, or the one that didn't score double digits in the first 15 minutes against UMBC and looked overmatched against Bing, NH, and at UML? 

Such a strange disappointing season. Hopefully it is just a sophomore slump from everyone, as expectations should be high again next season.

Re: Hanson, where has that been all year? Kid was balling yesterday. There was one play in the second half where he burned by his defender at the wing and was at the rim so quick that if you blinked you missed it. 

I just watched the ending again, and i still do not see contact by Rizzuto on the full court pass. If anything he brushed him as he tripped, but certainly not enough to call a foul. Am I crazy? Should have been a turnover with it being UA ball with just under 12 seconds remaining and down by 3.

The only thing I can think may have happened was the Brown told the ref we were going to try and steal the inbound pass and if we couldn't get it they would foul immediately. If the ref had that instruction, they may have called the foul on any contact.

Rizzuto clearly did not impede the SBU player in anyway. It amazes me how they call that but ignore far more contact in normal defensive situations.

10 minutes ago, UAalum72 said:

Haven’t watched the replay, but did Rizzuto’s foot make contact and trip him? At the court I didn’t see any hand or body contact

I wish the ESPN app allowed slowmo instant replay, but I don't see any contact at all. Looked like Rizzuto tripped when reaching and fell, and foreman stuttered a little when he couldn't reach the pass which I think caused the foul call. I've watched it a bunch of times and I don't see it.

Doubt it would have made any difference in the final result, but getting the ball back down 3 with 11.8 left would have at least given them a slight chance to tie it at the buzzer.

11 hours ago, UA1882 said:

Hansen has played very well the last 10 games or so but I'm not 100 percent sure about mismanaging him. He was really really bad the first 10 games.  Shot like 25 percent and was out of postion all the time. He has really evolved as a player. In this case it was a good coaching job. Makes me wonder about the other players. 

Disagree. He was absolutely mismanaged, the guy wasn’t given a real chance to play through all his mistakes early on. Isn’t that what the non conference is all about? 
If they are going to bring in a grad transfer who’s played any significant minutes in D1 then he should be allowed to play without having to worry about being yanked for making a mistake.

Edited by UA'08

59 minutes ago, UA'08 said:

Disagree. He was absolutely mismanaged, the guy wasn’t given a real chance to play through all his mistakes early on. Isn’t that what the non conference is all about? 
If they are going to bring in a grad transfer who’s played any significant minutes in D1 then he should be allowed to play without having to worry about being yanked for making a mistake.

If they are going to give up a scholarship on a one year guy shouldn't they let the guy play extended minutes? If you are going to give him a scholarship knowing its only for one year then you must have identified him as an impact player that is going to move the needle for your team. Otherwise, why do it? You have to let them play. Besides, he is significantly better and more athletic than any other big man on the roster even if he made a mistake every other 4th play. 

Some of you guys are the best ! Lol. U complain when guys are not playing well. You want them off the team.  Then you want more playing time for guys that are playing poorly.  Thank god some of you aren't the coaches. Lol.  MAKE UP YOUR MINDS! 

Hensens first 3 games he was: 1/8 ,1/2, and 3/12. He was taking terrible shots and was ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS out of postion.  His next handful of games he took minimal shots and was playing scared. 

Of course you want to play guys during the nonconference and that's what Brown did . Played 25, 17,19,21 minutes the first 4 games. AND CONTINUED TO PLAY!!!! He does not have 1 DNP this whole year !!!!   HE IMPROVED GUYS. HE LEARNED THE SYSTEM!! He was not mismanaged. 

I'm not trying to insult people's intelligence,  but basketball is more then points, rebounds, and athleticism.  Its about taking good shots, being in the right postion, playing defense , ect. If I took every shot in a game I would probably have 20 points  , but we would lost by 50. In the beginning of the year Hansen was PLAYING and learning.  

A message board is for opinions and complaints (and God knows I do both) but damn please dont sound stupid . 

Edited by UA1882
  • Thanks 1