UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Post-sports distraction

Jammaster

1 hour ago, jimbo said:

I was a commuter. Started Fall 1970. Most everything was complete uptown except Indian quad tower. Some dummy had set fire to a lounge or two during protests. Registered for the draft at University College in October. Went to all of the Football games and most of the basketball games. Remember names like Jack Jordan, John Quattrochi whose sister turned out to be my daughter’s HS Spanish teacher), Sheridan, Werner Koln, etc. First day second semester in Jan 1971 it was -28, I think still an Albany record. You could go to the McDonalds in Westmere and get a full meal with change back on a dollar! Remember Platz or Platt’s Place on Wolf Rd? Holiday Sing? Ebbiie the Eep in the ASP? Telethon? Good times  

Yes, I remember that morning when the temperature dipped to -28. It seemed almost like a relief because the wind had finally died down. During the previous ten days or so, the temperatures were "milder," but the wind chills were ridiculous. I heard readings of minus 70's. (The experts used a different scale back then.) I looked up the lowest temperature ever recorded in Albany a few years ago, and the -28 still stands. The unusual thing about that day is that the temperature rose to 22 that afternoon -- yes, a fifty degree difference. When I returned to my dorm in Dutch Quad later that afternoon, there were a number of students throwing frisbees in the quad in shorts!

Forget burger, fries, soda and change back from your dollar. Beers at the Washington Tavern were 21 cents (16 cts for Hedrick’s, in a special glass so everybody knew you were drinking it. Awful stuff, but brewed by the O’Connells, the county political bosses, so at one time every bar had to buy a keg a week, whether they sold it or not.) 

Does anyone recall Spring Weekend in what I think was ‘71? It was a gorgeous day, people out on the circle flying kites, playing frisbee, etc. A front blew through...windier than hell...kites went flying, lawn chairs took off for Washington Ave. that evening  I recall waiting for some performance at the Art Gallery....in the snow..freezing our a$$es off!

• Haha 1

I might as well join the fun. I came to Albany in 93 as a transfer after my freshman year to play baseball. I blew out my elbow in the first fall practice trying to impress everyone with my quick and hard throws to second base as a catcher. Had surgery and never stepped on the field at UA again. 

I attended a good number of football and basketball games but not as many as I should have. I do remember the 94 D3 tourney very well though and the 2 point loss to NYU in the elite eight. It was fun to see the place packed!

Lastly, I met a girl in spring 93 during happy hour at Peabody's. I never thought 27 years later we'd still be together with two great kids. 😁

Edited by DanesRGood
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, UAalum72 said:

Forget burger, fries, soda and change back from your dollar. Beers at the Washington Tavern were 21 cents (16 cts for Hedrick’s, in a special glass so everybody knew you were drinking it. Awful stuff, but brewed by the O’Connells, the county political bosses, so at one time every bar had to buy a keg a week, whether they sold it or not.) 

Like I said, lived in Brubacher Hall 67-68. Back then we had a 11pm curfew (12 on weekends.) Lived on the first floor, so my roommate and I regularly crawled out the window for a beer or two. Went to O'Heanies on Ontario. Did not want to chance the short walk to the WT. Mostly townie's & bums @ O'Heanies, especially weeknights. Don't remember the price, but beer served in a 5 or 7 oz. glass. No pints or tankards there. But one or two was enough to get me pretty loupe--never much of a drinker actually; still not. By second semester, curfews were abandoned--took the fun out of stealing out for a couple.

On 3/15/2020 at 4:02 PM, olddog71 said:

lived on the same corridor with dslyank freshman year at Brubacher. Yes, I remember the physical education requirement. As dslyank stated, the Phys Ed building was incomplete, so we couldn't do much of a physical nature; instead, we had phys ed lectures in a space below the main floor of the library. We also had to read a thick book for the course first semester.

Remember the Phys Ed book like it was yesterday; but think it was second semester. But anyhow, everyone bought the book but NO ONE ever cracked the spine.The night before what was to be a written final exam; in panic mode a group of us got together in my room and read out loud to each other. It indeed was an all-nighter. But NOT because the book was all that long or intense, but because every time we came across the word "SCROTUM", we'd all break out in hysterical laughter. Other like minded terms also contributed to the length of this all night read along, but nothing else brought as much hysteria as scrotum; and you cannot believe just how often that word was referenced in that book. And no matter how many times we encountered, it brought on the usual response. Those of us who managed to stay awake @ the exam got A's, but there were quite a few B's and worse.

8 hours ago, dslyank said:

Like I said, lived in Brubacher Hall 67-68. Back then we had a 11pm curfew (12 on weekends.) Lived on the first floor, so my roommate and I regularly crawled out the window for a beer or two. Went to O'Heanies on Ontario. Did not want to chance the short walk to the WT. Mostly townie's & bums @ O'Heanies, especially weeknights. Don't remember the price, but beer served in a 5 or 7 oz. glass. No pints or tankards there. But one or two was enough to get me pretty loupe--never much of a drinker actually; still not. By second semester, curfews were abandoned--took the fun out of stealing out for a couple.

I came later, mid '70's O'Heanies was my place 7 oz glasses... Steamed not dogs .... Memories .... I will recall a mixture of UAlbany students townies and bums... 

Can't remember anything from 2 days ago but always remember my favorite watering holes in Albany from 79-83.  At Sutters Mill the most because I was addicted to the burger and fries due to the lame UAS food.  Also loved Hurleys with the best buffalo wings.  WT's had great Long Island Iced Teas (don't ever drink 2 of those in less than half hour. Surprised I am alive after that).  The most drunken crowd was always at the Grinch way downtown.  I remember the green bus dropping us off at the phys ed building and stumbling to Dutch Quad after nights there.  Great memories!

• 2 weeks later...

For Basketball 🏀 junkies: CBSSN is replaying NCAA Tournament games, started at 8:00 A.M., currently showing Illinois vs. Arizona (2005), at Noon showing North Carolina vs. Kentucky (2017); 2:00 PM is Duke vs. Kentucky (1992); 4:00 PM Kentucky vs. Duke (1998)...additional games at 6:00 PM and 8:00 PM.

CBS has advertised games on Sunday starting at noon for local tv 📺 stations.I

Stay safe, stay home!

Edited by cwdickens
Spelling
  • Like 1