UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Point Guard 2020-2021 Season

Hey fellas.  Board has been very quiet lately even with most staying at home. Hope all is well with everyone!  Thought I would see opinions on the PG position for next season since that seems to be pretty well set as of now.  I always felt your stud PG plays 30-35 min and the backup plays the rest and there is never any minutes for a 3rd guy. Then we had last year with three ( Clark, Anderson, Carter, not including Fruscio), two get hurt and we struggled to fill in the gap.

So we have three again for next season, the young frosh, Amica, the vet off of injury in Anderson, and now a big PG in Horton, with two years of JUCO.  They all want to play but rarely do you see a three-headed tandem at PG.  I guess CB will have to see if Anderson is healthy, if Amica can shine under the lights, if Horton can play CB basketball without the usual JUCO learning lag.  If all three can do that, who is odd man out while trying to keep everyone happy?  Does Amica understand he is low man on totem pole?  Is Horton a nightmare size matchup problem for opposing PG's?  

I know this will all play out in practice and OOC but I was bored.  No front line commits as yet and so far no one leaving to determine the rest of the roster.  

Horton is big so he more than likely will split time at SG, especially since he self-admittedly said he can attack the basket from the wing. We might play small for stretches of games where Healey or Rizzuto are the SF, etc.

I think as of now Brown isn't even considering Anderson, he's hoping he comes back at close to 100% but cannot really count on that.

If Anderson comes back , it could be good for Amica not to be rushed into service he can be given more time to learn. I believe Anderson only has 1 year left so Amica can see he will get his turn (if Amica is good enough to win the PG position then that's really good for us.)

Horton could also play some 2 or 3 when CB goes with a smaller line up, to Horton's credit he is suppose to be a good defender. We are not sure what Amica or Anderson (due to knee) can do defensively.

It's an interesting problem.

I think the pressure will be on Hutchinson and Rizzuto to improve their games.

JoJo can play 1/2, Horton can play 1/2/3 in a smaller lineup. If last season shows us anything, you can't have enough perpetrators and ball handlers. I heard this week from a reliable person that JoJo's rehab is going extremely well, barring set backs my understanding is that he will be close to 100% after surgery. You never know with knees but at this point things are going well with him.  All three are different players...Amica is very very fast with the ball and can really push the rock, Horton is very physical, attacks downhill and puts pressure on defense. There will probably be plenty of time where you'll see two of them on the court at the same time. 

As Patch indicated, you need to get more out of the wing position, Hutch and Rizzuto need to give you much more from there. At this point the star of one DeSousa has really dimmed, I expect another wing to be added as you can flex Hutch into the 4 spot and Rizzuto can play 2/3. Hutch needs to work as much as possible on lateral quickness as I have a feeling he will be the main cog at the SF spot pending recruiting if they can get a stud there. 

At this point I'm satisfied with the ball handling, PG position. Need at least two bigs, hopefully some that can jump over a phone book and run the floor, possibly grad transfer or two and a wing. 

Edited by Clickclack
  • Like 2

Hortons a stud, and exactly what Ua needed did you see they beat out stony brook and umbc? He is a more skilled kj jackson! Andresons injured but may get a look, Amica will be good but like most freshmen will need more time to get going right away. Based on off season comments and what I have heard about a total gut of the program this staff will be just starting!

28 minutes ago, Bball2020 said:

Hortons a stud, and exactly what Ua needed did you see they beat out stony brook and umbc? He is a more skilled kj jackson! Andresons injured but may get a look, Amica will be good but like most freshmen will need more time to get going right away. Based on off season comments and what I have heard about a total gut of the program this staff will be just starting!

I'm not trying to be disrespectful but how the hell is this guy a stud? He had 3 or 4 low D1 offers. (UBMC and Brook got in very late). Shot 40 percent from the field at the JUCO level.  What do you think is going to happen at the D1 level? 

He committed to a D2 school in high school before pulling out (I think) 

I'm not saying he wont be good. He seems very atheltic and that will help. But a stud is a far reach right now. Someone tell me why he is a stud?

Edited by UA1882

We have no idea who Horton is. Most of these guys look great on their prior teams (especially those as the JUCO level). His % is low because I guess his team was hurt and he was in a similar position to Clark...no one else but him so he probably took too many shots.

To say he's better than KJ Jackson without ever seeing him in the AE or a UA uniform is an EXTREME fabrication. He might end up not being better than Clark.

Let see what happens...I'm personally done getting overhyped or super down on recruits. I will wait for the first 10 games to go by before I give a verdict on anyone.

It's not like we stole a player from a A10 team on the recruiting trail...lets simmer down.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Bball2020 said:

Great size , athletic, can create shot, percentages or not he avgd close to 18ppg in one of best juco leagues. Late bloomer, if we beat out the two best jobs in the league facility wise il take it all day. BIG GET. Watch the film!

Film ? U watched his full games right ? I can show you 2 minutes of French doing good things too !

I'm not saying he is not good. I think he can get to the basket which is awesome! But he is not a stud yet. 

Like Eli said he was not getting big offers but it does not mean he will not play well . But I'm not going to call ANYONE a stud unless they prove it . 

• Like 1

And I will extrapolate on my A10 comment...even those aren't guaranteed stars. Remember Will Harris? Guy came from freakin Virginia/ACC and he was a major disappointment considering that he was supposed to be our Warney or Lamb. Nothing is a sure thing.

• Like 1

Im just glad we beat the two newer facility hot coaches of our league for him, kid seems to be just what we need big athletic off the dribble scorer. Agree to disagree in hank, in my opinion he is awful, doesnt mean i dont hear yours about him being a good defender. I definitely do not think hank is a good defender. Seems like a nice kid, seems like a kid if he wants to stay you keep, but will not amount to much. Next years playing group so far: healy, rizzuto, horton, amica, anderson, hutcheson, need more bigs now. Maybe they can sneak desousa in for backup minutes but id prefer UA upgrade hutchesons backup spot as well. As noted, we badly need to add two more bigs hopefully transfers and at least one more bouncy guard. Vermont just picked up a nice grad transfer, looks like there trying to stay at the top.

Anyone who is still losing their mind and pimping jucos sight unseen as studs is crazy and has learned nothing over the years. Yes... Hortons tape looks good but when the last time a highlight reel had misses? He shot in the 30% from the field. Let's pump breaks on stud. 

I'm hopeful but have learned to wait and see. Right now long way to go on recruiting trail. Need many more pieces... 3 or 4. Present team doesn't get to 500.

Edited by Clickclack