Jump to content



UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cwdickens

Will Casey Stadium see high usage this spring?

Recommended Posts

On 7/10/2020 at 9:19 AM, dslyank said:

IMHO: If we must, play football; play it January and February. Start Lacrosse later {March to June}, which Scoot Marr has been advocating for years. As for freezing one's ass off or not, personally I would and do so willingly for Lax, but only grudgingly for football. So IMHO play football in the fall or NOT at all. Just my bias' showing.

Throwing my two cents .... attempting to play Football in January and the first three weekends in February is risky for the players and the fans (if permitted).  Around here, we are looking over our shoulders about the weather until April.  With our facilities and the proper scheduling we should be fine starting late February.  At this point, I just worried about men's and women's basketball

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/26/2020 at 8:42 PM, cwdickens said:

Throwing my two cents .... attempting to play Football in January and the first three weekends in February is risky for the players and the fans (if permitted).  Around here, we are looking over our shoulders about the weather until April.  With our facilities and the proper scheduling we should be fine starting late February.  At this point, I just worried about men's and women's basketball

I got a feeling it will be conference only schedule starting after Christmas and only season ticket holders will be permitted with people being spread around the arena. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/2/2020 at 10:56 PM, Clickclack said:

I got a feeling it will be conference only schedule starting after Christmas and only season ticket holders will be permitted with people being spread around the arena. 

Agree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will Casey Stadium see high usage this spring?  Does a bear crap in the woods?  Yes,  I cannot wait to see football 🏈, soccer and lacrosse schedules....let us not forget field hockey and women's volleyball....track and field ...softball and baseball  .  I realized back on July 9, 2020 when the 2020 Fall schedule was in jeopardy ...   with the hopes of a long run for our basketball teams in the AE tournament... could be a busy times around SEFCU parking lot

Edited by cwdickens
clarification

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2020 at 7:49 PM, cwdickens said:

Will Casey Stadium see high usage this spring?  Does a bear crap in the woods?  Yes,  I cannot wait to see football 🏈, soccer and lacrosse schedules....let us not forget field hockey and women's volleyball....track and field ...softball and baseball  .  I realized back on July 9, 2020 when the 2020 Fall schedule was in jeopardy ...   with the hopes of a long run for our basketball teams in the AE tournament... could be a busy times around SEFCU parking lot

No one seems to want to talk or speculate about the elephant in the closet?????  With a good chance basketball and other winter sports starting late, maybe; and fall sports being pushed to spring, maybe???   Will basketball etc. late starts push them into spring??    What will an ALL-SPORTS season look like???  Will 2020 spring sports who ALREADY lost a full season be given any special accomodations/considerations??   Does UA have the facilities and finances???  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dslyank said:

No one seems to want to talk or speculate about the elephant in the closet?????  With a good chance basketball and other winter sports starting late, maybe; and fall sports being pushed to spring, maybe???   Will basketball etc. late starts push them into spring??    What will an ALL-SPORTS season look like???  Will 2020 spring sports who ALREADY lost a full season be given any special accomodations/considerations??   Does UA have the facilities and finances???  

In my opinion; assuming the covid situation is improved, there’s probably a pretty good chance that basketball get pushed back to January with a conference only schedule (I think that’s when conference play usually begins anyway).  I also think there’s a good chance all fall sports moving to spring with a limited schedule.  That said, I think spring football presents some issues - primarily, a spring season makes it difficult for the players to recover and be ready for a fall 2021 season so does that season become a spring one as well?

In terms of facilities, I think the athletic department can figure this out.  We have the track and field stadium (not sure what it’s called now) that’s only used for two or three events each year.  You also have the lacrosse field that has brand new turf and hasn’t been used in a year or two.  Lastly there’s the PE gym - not an ideal space but basketball and volleyball games can still be played there.  You’d need to figure out how to let students have access but that can all be figured out.

I think  the challenge for the athletics department might not be facilities but how to handle scholarships going forward.  The NCAA has said that student athletes won’t lose a year of eligibility for participating in sports this year so we’ll potentially have a lot of fifth and sixth year seniors in 2021.  Not sure how those scholarships are reconciled with new recruit scholarships - I don’t believe the NCAA will allow more scholarships. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think we're going to see a shift of sports in future seasons. Players will just have a short 'offseason' between 2020 and 2021. We may see more injuries, but overall lets remember these are teenagers and early 20 somethings. It's not like they are 33 and being asked to play 2 seasons in half the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...