UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

What Northeastern's move might mean for UA

When the CAA schools form a football conference, I bet the A10 becomes a 40 scholarship 1AA conference with UA joining. I recall a comment last year about UA and Stony Brook possibly wanting a conference with less than the maximum number of scholarships. I think UMASS may be in the same boat.

I'll admit up front that I do not know a lot about A10 football, but I think UMASS and URI would be willing to compete at a lower number of scholarships.

Maybe A10 football becomes AE football with:

Albany

Stony Brook

Maine

New Hampshire

UMASS

Rhode Island??

THis would be a cost effective conference as geographically the schools are relatively close.

I think Richmond is in the A10 but they would probably play in the CAA as they are Virginia based. Not sure who else is in the A10.

I think the UA football agreement with the NEC expires in 2007. I think there is a lot of planning going on now - does UA need to give the NEC 2 years notice?

I do think the key will be 30 to 40 scholarships (not 30 like the NEC has today that are need based).

Edited by reeder

Maybe A10 football becomes AE football with:

Albany

Stony Brook

Maine

New Hampshire

UMASS

Rhode Island?? 

THis would be a cost effective conference as geographically the schools are relatively close....

I do think the key will be 30 to 40 scholarships (not 30 like the NEC has today that are need based).

I'm not sure Maine would want to reduce scholarships, especially since this league would almost surely not get an automatic bid to the I-AA playoffs. Half (8) of the playoff spots must be reserved for at-large bids, and with the new Great West Conf. and the CAA, somebody's going to be left out, most likely a league with fewer than the maximum number of scholarships. A 40-ride league wouldn't have a shot unless the NCAA expands the number of teams in the playoffs, unlikely because that would require another round of games.

These six would be the kind of league I'd like Albany to be in if the schollies were at least 50, and you'd probably need one or two more teams to really be viable.

I'm not sure I understand why there wouldn't continue to be A10 football. Right now there are 11 Atlantic 10 football schools that breakdown like this:

5 of them are associate A10 football members and full members of the CAA. This is Delaware, Hofstra, James Mad, W+M, Northeasteran.

3 of them are full A10 members in all sports. Richmond, UMass and URI.

2 are AE members and associates in football. Maine and New Hampshire

1 is a Big East member and associate in football. Villanova.

I'm guessing when the CAA creates it's own football conference it's 5 members will leave the A10 and try and grab some of the assocate members. Even if they grab, say Villanova, that would still leave the A10 with 5 schools and a couple of possible openings for Albany and Stony Brook as associates. I would guess that because Duqense is an A10 member in other sports they would upgrade to A10 football giving the conference 8 members.

You'd still keep the autobid and the new A10 would be:

Albany

UMass

Maine

Stony Brook

Duqense

UNH

URI

Richmond

CAA seems to think they'll pick off 'nova, or Maine & New Hampshire, and immediately pick up the playoff auto-bid. Or maybe just take over administration of A-10 FB. I don't know how long a conference has to exist before being eligible for an automatic bid, but the CAA will be a year or two behind the Great West and the Big South.

If A-10 FB holds together by adding us, SB and Duq, its RPI may not be high enough to keep the auto bid. It still might be better than the MEAC. The NCAA playoff committee decides who gets the spot, but I don't know if they base their choice on the previous years' performances or their projection of the coming season; for the first time in a while they'll have a real decision to make.

Wait, the BS conference doesn't have six teams yet.

Edited by UAalum72

MJ

I'd imagine the thought of this gives you hives but do you see Maine and UNH going to the CAA as associate members for football?

I suppose if the A10 breaks up they won't have a ton of options but do you think they'd go willingly.

That's the million dollar question.........

Honestly, if somehow the A-10 could keep Villanova and Richmond in the fold, I'd love the league to invite Albany and Stony Brook for 2006 membership. Personally, I think that keeping the grouping of Maine, UNH, UMass, URI, Albany and Stony Brook together makes a lot of sense for collegiate football in the Northeast.....but then you have UMass always seemingly on shaky ground.

To answer your question, I see the 12 A-10 football schools moving under the CAA umbrella. If that doesn't happen, then the CAA will push hard for Villanova and possibly Richmond. I think that the CAA would also like UNH, but wants nothing to do with Maine (big surprise there).

Thanks, and thanks to D Johnston at College Football Flags for creating it. Go to 'NEWS' or 'OTHER FLAGS' page 5. There's also one of the dog w/ Great Danes on a purple background. He requests you copy it to your PC or web site so all the hits don't overload his server. I've asked DP to load them up here.

Dane96

I'm sure yo are getting thoroughly prepared for the Bar and will have no problem at all.

The pressure to prepare takes its toll more than the actual exam.

Preparation is paramount in every challenge you face.

Good Luck.