UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Brown officially suspended 1 game

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brian,

that was the first thing i thought. Opening night for one of the top womens conferences and they put this up. It is them wanting to make a point. I mean give me a break. It makes me even more mad because i cover this womens team and the womnes side of hte conference in general. This is handled all wrong by the conference. Very upsetting

This is very upsetting, UA should make haste and leave this bull$iena confrence at our earliest convenience. I'm 100% behind coach on this one, he did nothing to warrent a one game suspension. F Nero.

watch the league amigo...upsetting yes, but not worth the language.

I don't share Haggy's fears and if the AE and Commissioner Nero want to take it up with me. Come and get me. This is absolute BS (to quote Coach Knight)

This is an egregious case of an over zealous commissioner and I don't give two "F's" (and I am not talking about free throws here).

Censorship in all forms is disgusting and insults our American way of life. I am embarrassed that the conference evokes the name of our country and takes actions like this that are so counter to what our country is founded upon.

This was posted on a public website that in no way shape or form is associated with or funded by the conference (and perhaps the school, although I'd have to check my facts on this one). I am not worried that Commissioner Nero is going to suspend me so I have no problems stating my opinion (after the mandatory 24 hour cooling off period) in a strongly worded letter to the conference.

It is my FIRM opinion that Coach's Civil Rights have been infringed upon and I think that ANY publicly funded institution should have nothing to do with an organization that conducts it's self in that manner. I think that all of the SUNY schools as well as UMBC, UNH and UVM should strongly consider breaking away from this conference as they clearly support oppression of the right to free speech.

Like the America East and Commissioner Nero,

Siena Still Sucks!

I don't share Haggy's fears and if the AE and Commissioner Nero want to take it up with me. Come and get me. This is absolute BS (to quote Coach Knight)

This is an egregious case of an over zealous commissioner and I don't give two "F's" (and I am not talking about free throws here).

Censorship in all forms is disgusting and insults our American way of life. I am embarrassed that the conference evokes the name of our country and takes actions like this that are so counter to what our country is founded upon.

This was posted on a public website that in no way shape or form is associated with or funded by the conference (and perhaps the school, although I'd have to check my facts on this one). I am not worried that Commissioner Nero is going to suspend me so I have no problems stating my opinion (after the mandatory 24 hour cooling off period) in a strongly worded letter to the conference.

It is my FIRM opinion that Coach's Civil Rights have been infringed upon and I think that ANY publicly funded institution should have nothing to do with an organization that conducts it's self in that manner. I think that all of the SUNY schools as well as UMBC, UNH and UVM should strongly consider breaking away from this conference as they clearly support oppression of the right to free speech.

Like the America East and Commissioner Nero,

Siena Still Sucks!

Coach Brown's site is partially funded by the University, hence another reason Nero probably came after him. The rest of your post...is highly comical and almost reminded me of the Siena Board.

Thankfully, I (and I assume others) saw the intent behind your post: SHEER COMIC RELIEF.

While I am pissed at the "front page" article by the AE, I am not AS PISSED at the suspension. One game isn't going to kill us or Brown, though the reasoning is a bit "off."

96-

I don't know what the Siena board looks like because I would never visit it. They too believe in censorship (as illustrated by the banning of DG04).

Thanks for noticing the humorous references!

FREE COACH BROWN!

It's a nice image but I think it would also look good on a t-shirt.

I look forward to seeing Commissioner Nero at the CUE on March 10th!

I just have to tell Rob T. not to put him in the empty seats next to me.

I hope that Coach enjoys the night off and does something nice with Mrs. Brown and Action Jackson!

Although I mist admit it was nice to have something else that sucked for a change.

Like a Black Hole…

SSS!

Seems like the conference went overboard with this punishment although I might argue that getting out of a trip to Binghamton might not be punishment at all.

Just curious if anyone can remember any situation similar to this. I know coaches aren't supposed to bash officials in the media but I've never heard of one being suspended for that and this doesn't seem as bad. The closest I can remember is a coach who was forced to sit out a game for missing a mandatory conference meeting.

Two things that concern me about this:

1. It becomes a distraction to the team when they've started playing well. Especially now, during a tough part of the schedule (oops, can I say that?)

2. This isn't the beginning of an acrimonious relationship between UA and the AE. No matter how we feel about them they decide things like Bracketbusters teams, conference tournament sites, etc. Hopefully this just blows over quickly and Albany is awared the conference tournament for the next five years.

Commissioner Nero's decision to suspend Will Brown is based mostly on his need, as a first-year official, to demonstrate his power over all the coaches and to establish his authority and to instill discipline. The situation that caused Coach Brown's remarks will be resolved only when many of the coaches in similar situations demonstrate the negative effects of too many games in a short period of time and voice their opinions loudly during and after this season. For example, if many players are injured during the conference game period which result in too many unusual outcomes, then the coaches will have a very legitimate concern. It's too late to make changes to the schedule for this season. Then the pressure is on Nero for next year and thereafter. If he doesn't rectify this situation by September of this year, he might be facing a permanent suspension of his own. He will lose his job, but he needed to do something to Will Brown this week.

Archived