UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MBB signing

Rodger Wyland at 11:00 last night said Albany had signed Albert Turley, 6-8 power forward from Westfield High, Houston. Search of the Houston Chronicle says he averaged 12 pts., 7 1/2 rebounds for the 25-11 Mustangs last year (class 5A).

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rodger Wyland at 11:00 last night said Albany had signed Albert Turley, 6-8 power forward from Westfield High, Houston. Search of the Houston Chronicle says he averaged 12 pts., 7 1/2 rebounds for the 25-11 Mustangs last year (class 5A).

And Brown wastes no time replacing Yocum. This guy is worth every penny we pay him.

Those are not bad stats in a VERY good Class 5A in Houston! For the record, Class 5A is the top league in Texas (think Dallas Carter and Dallas Skyline)!

Some quotes from his frosh season:

"Remember the name Albert Turley. The 6-foot-8, 240-pound 2007 prospect is a load inside and can run like a deer according to his coach Rick Nelson. And Nelson was not the only person raving about the big freshman."

Supposedly he is up to 265 now.

Last season in late Feb, Westfield was 31-0 and ranked #5 in the nation.

That...is one HUGE guy!

And Brown wastes no time replacing Yocum. This guy is worth every penny we pay him.

Those are not bad stats in a VERY good Class 5A in Houston! For the record, Class 5A is the top league in Texas (think Dallas Carter and Dallas Skyline)!

Some quotes from his frosh season:

"Remember the name Albert Turley. The 6-foot-8, 240-pound 2007 prospect is a load inside and can run like a deer according to his coach Rick Nelson. And Nelson was not the only person raving about the big freshman."

Supposedly he is up to 265 now.

Last season in late Feb, Westfield was 31-0 and ranked #5 in the nation.

That...is one HUGE guy!

Is this guy a JUCO?

EDIT: Just looked it up he is not a JUCO!

Turley is suppose to about 6'7" or 8" and 275.

He's a load who is also pretty athletic.

He'll be a true freshman.

From Rivals..........

Before the fall signing period, programs the likes of Charlotte, Miami (FL), Tulane, and SMU were all recruiting Turley hard. Months later, the situation has changed with Turley's recruitment. "Right now, I don't know," Turley said. "In the fall, I told all the schools to call me after the season because I want to focus on the season, and all those schools fell off. But I've started talking to Purdue and San Diego. San Diego has offered me and wants me to come for a visit. Purdue has talked about it too."............

Turley hopes to make visits to both programs and see if they can offer him what he's looking for. "I want a school that fits my style of play," Turley said. "Any distance (from home) will be fine with me."

Texas Hoops Analysis: ALBERT is a wide bodied paint player who can use his back side to create space and get good position on the low block. He is a good scorer around the rim, has good hands and can bully people with his size. He is a good position rebounder, is able to bang and compete physically on the defensive end and contests shots in the paint. He will have to work hard to stay in shape but has the tools to be a solid player at the next level.

Where do you guys think coach goes with the last 'ship? Would it make any sense to hang on to it and use it next year just to balance out the roster? Five true freshman is allot of true freshmen.

Never thought of it that way, but I guess it makes sense to not use up the allocated scholarships unless the players coming in can fill voids and help the team. In other words, it makes no sense to use it up just for the sake of always having 13 scholarship players on the team at a given time.

Turley is suppose to about 6'7" or 8" and 275.

He's a load who is also pretty athletic.

He'll be a true freshman.

From Rivals..........

Before the fall signing period, programs the likes of Charlotte, Miami (FL), Tulane, and SMU were all recruiting Turley hard. Months later, the situation has changed with Turley's recruitment. "Right now, I don't know," Turley said. "In the fall, I told all the schools to call me after the season because I want to focus on the season, and all those schools fell off. But I've started talking to Purdue and San Diego. San Diego has offered me and wants me to come for a visit. Purdue has talked about it too."............

Turley hopes to make visits to both programs and see if they can offer him what he's looking for. "I want a school that fits my style of play," Turley said. "Any distance (from home) will be fine with me."

Texas Hoops Analysis: ALBERT is a wide bodied paint player who can use his back side to create space and get good position on the low block. He is a good scorer around the rim, has good hands and can bully people with his size. He is a good position rebounder, is able to bang and compete physically on the defensive end and contests shots in the paint. He will have to work hard to stay in shape but has the tools to be a solid player at the next level.

Give Filian some time with him...and you have Omari Peterkin style of a player. Sounds very similar. Nice size we should have in two years....

From what I've heard and read this guy may have the rear end of a Petrikin but he is much more athletic, a good shot blocker and dunks around the rim.

There must be a reason why Charlotte, Miami (FL), Tulane, SMU, Purdue and San Diego were all sniffing around.

He is more athletic then his physical dimension seem to dictate. I was told he was on campus about a week ago and was pretty impressive. The one question mark is will he be able to get his weight under control.

This is a large young man.

From what I read, there were initially larger programs showing interest but by midway through his senior year the interest had dissipated. There could be a number of reasons for that. Let's hope Coach Brown is working some magic on this one. That size, if its part of a more complete package, could be dominant.

This is a large young man.

From what I read, there were initially larger programs showing interest but by midway through his senior year the interest had dissipated. There could be a number of reasons for that. Let's hope Coach Brown is working some magic on this one. That size, if its part of a more complete package, could be dominant.

Gotta love Will's ability to find players. The kid seemingly told schools to wait until the end of the season (I think he thought he could go higher). When the season ended they backed off. Allegedly, Purdue and San Diego offered.

All I know, is that Brown went out and got us two great guards, and two swings the past two recruiting cycles. We have Raffa, the heir apparent PG, and Ambrose (the Lou Jordan/Jamar combo). Then we have the two swings in Billy Allen and Chauncey Gilliam. With Reid Anderson on the wing as well.

The BU guards are going to be tough for the next three years...but on paper these five have what it takes to hang with them. Now...we are building up a potentially dominating front line for '08...with Gifford, Connelly, Covington, and now Turley. That is 6'11 250 (after Gifford hits the weights); 6'8 235 (Connelly); 6'6 240 (Covington); and 6'8 275 (Turley). There is also the rumor of a stud PF out of JUCO that has been bandied about, along with a big man from Colorado.

Honestly...if that front four plays well in 2008...we will be very, very difficult to stop not just in the AE, but in our OOC as well. That is a whole lot of HOSS on the front line. Nobody, and I do mean NOBODY but Binghamton can match that size.

icemchine on the AE board is saying that he is 578 (and not 138 as previously reported) overall ranked senior by hoopscoop. This guy is intriguing to say the least. Time will tell what exactly we got here but this certainly looks like a solid pickup to say the least.

As Dane96 pointed out, it's great to see coach Brown move so quickly to replace Yocum and not with some scrub. I also like the fact that it gives us nice balance as he will be a year younger then Giff and two years younger then Covington and Conelly. This way we can have players with some experience step up to fill the void left by graduations. We should all count our blessings that coach didn't go to St. B and that UA Administration came through and held on to him.

What can someone tell me about Chauncey Gilliam? I have heard that name mentioned on here before, but I don't know anything about him. Will he be a senior in high school this coming season?

He was a senior this year from the same school as Lance James, he will be prepping next year but has verballed for 2008. This is somewhat similar to what Howard Little did and then reneged and went to I believe Valpo so I wouldn't hold my breath but....he is a strong guard 6'4 who can score well in transition and has a solid shot from the outside, apparently also pretty athletic based on the info I've seen. It just remains to be seen if he signs the LOI.

The kid I check on also is Luke Fabrizius......we have offered to him but apparently Northwestern is in the lead for his services. He is a High Major prospect in '08 with schools like Indiana, NotreDame, Iowa St. and Marquette having already offered as well as us. #25 ranked SF in the country 6'8" out of Illinois, this guy is a major long shot as we are the only non BCS school following him. But you can't win the race if you don't get in.

Prepping for a year...so hopefully he still comes. LEAP Academy grad...and going to be a fine player if we can keep him. Will, I am sure, is all over him. A 6'4 Combo originally from MD.

This kid, with Allen, Ambrose, Raffa, and Anderson, will give us an absolutely explosive and athletic set of guys who can play anyones guards.

Archived