UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

SEFCU renovations

Facilities master plan .pdf, fairly extensive is located here... http://www.albany.edu/facilities/fmp/documents/UA-FMP2012.pdf

Time frame covered is 2013-2023 (I'm assuming just a place holder really). Athletics related stuff starts on page 104 of the pdf.

Near Term goal - Phase I of the Field House (21.5mil), relocation of hammer throw and softball field as that the new field-house is expected to go in where the hammer throw is now. Field house is expected to provide swing space for when SEFCU undergoes renovations.

I'm not naive enough to think we have any money to do this but hey, at least there is a comprehensive and coherent plan...no?

Intermediate Term goal - Phase II football stadium, renovation of PhysEd building (39.8mil), Phase II of field-house.

Long Term goal - Renovation of SEFCU (17.6mil), remove bubble, construct new indoor practice facility

*Renovation of SEFCU at this point includes - new floor at fitness center, new scoreboard, new locker-rooms and coaches offices, improved sports medicine strength and conditioning facilities, new student athletic support/success center. Hopefully some of that will include reconfiguration of seats (chairbacks) some side video boards etc.

*wish I won like 100mil lotto...lol*

Edited by Clickclack

I'm not to familiar with the function of fieldhouse, could we house basketball games there during SEFCU renovation? What else can be housed there, it appears the field house is a critical part of the schools plan.

Doesn't sound like there will be enough seating planned for basketball.

From page 108 of the plan:

In the first construction phase, the recreation department program elements will be provided. Activity spaces such as basketball courts, multi-activity court, fitness center, multi-purpose rooms, and climbing wall will be built as well as support spaces such as a lobby with security desk, locker rooms, staff offices, and storage. In this phase, two dedicated recreation fields are located to the north of the new field house and four new outdoor handball courts replace two basketball courts to the west of the field house footprint. The varsity softball field would be relocated to an area just east of the varsity practice fields.

it is expected that the athletics and recreation departments will share the building while renovation to the Physical Education Building progresses

Phase 2:

Phase 2 of the multi-purpose athletic facility,... it includes support spaces for field sports including locker rooms for football, visiting locker rooms, coaches and administrative offices, strength and conditioning, sports medicine, and an upper level press box.

Pages 114-115

In the second phase of the field house build-out, the athletics program elements built include: 200 M banked track, spectator seating, visiting locker rooms, and storage. Once completed, this facility will have a separate but shared use with athletics on the west end and recreation on the east end. Although the track may be shared at limited times, it will be predominantly an indoor practice facility for athletics use and a performance venue for the indoor track and field team.

Long-term plan after the field house is to remove the Bubble and build an indoor practice facility, with a full-size football field suggested.

Does anyone else think it's beyond stupid for the locker rooms (for teams that play at BoFo) to be in this proposed field house? I know I hate that walk. Why not build a small building at the other endzone (behind the scoreboard) where the football teams will have a visiting and home locker room. Boom, done. And then, when we expand BoFo, build seating on top of that building. I realize this would make the current purple ramp useless, but having the players basically go from the Dutch Quad to the Stadium is dumb.

I believe the FH they are discussing would be built in the endzone. The main FH (Indoor Track/Rec Facility/ etc) would be in Dutch area. They would also build a new bubble.

The football, soccer, etc., sports medicine, academic, etc. facilities would be in the South Endzone.

Edited by Dane96

Most of this looks like pie-in-the sky stuff?

Anyone know what can/WILL be done in the next 2 to 3 years; 3 to 5 years??

Also, it would seem Sefcu should be a higher priority than field house and old gym. Or must those be done before Sefcu can be done?? and if so can't some stuff @ Sefcu be done sooner (ie. new scoreboard, more concessions)??

If commenting, please specify if you are speculating or have reasonable knowledge of what is actually going to happen.

Edited by dslyank

Exactly. And in one of his interviews he already stated he has categorized the priorities in a clear three part manner (I forget what he said exactly). However, he did speak to the SEFCU as one of those venues needing an upgrade, and he mentioned specifically the scoreboard issue.

In what may or may not be related to the need for renovations, 16 of the 18 lights above the court went out with 7 1/2 minutes to go in the women's game today. (The scoreboards and lights over the bleachers stayed on.) It took ten minutes or more before they began to relight, and another ten for the lamps to warm up.

Benson was in the house to witness it.

In what may or may not be related to the need for renovations, 16 of the 18 lights above the court went out with 7 1/2 minutes to go in the women's game today. (The scoreboards and lights over the bleachers stayed on.) It took ten minutes or more before they began to relight, and another ten for the lamps to warm up.

Benson was in the house to witness it.

9aaf198fc504680be2af7515723ead79149b1a32