UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Best UAlbany Team Gets No Recognition!

Play_Fair

This is not meant to be sarcastic but what took you track people so long to find this board.

I already appreciate this information that has been passed along.

My primary sport of interest is basketball but I attend everything I can from XC to baseball/softball. Men or women it doesn't matter I'm just a UA sports fanatic.

Now my interest is peaked in regard to track - thanks!!!

Please keep us updated.

It's great to have an All Sports site!!!!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nah, Jhow isn't Brandon Howlett, I know for a fact he wouldn't waste his time on these boards. He's a busy grad-student and co-captain who doesn't have time for this argument. Hes busy getting ready to bring home the shotput title in a week and a half, you should road trip it to Boston and cheer him on. Word has it hes going over 52 feet from what I hear through my sources.

I also heard something about a 1-2-3-4 sweep in the hurdles AND the triple jump.

Not to mention something like 6-7 guys over 21 feet and 3 over 22 in long jump?

...at least thats what I heard.

G'day Mates...

I'm also a FORMER UA Track Alum...I'm sure it won't take MANY too long to realize who I'm based on the name. Eitherway I'm stoked to know that there's a site like this out there. I had no idea one existed while I was in college.

Anyways as a FORMER member of SAAC, I tackled many topics meeting after meeting. This one -Team Respect/Recognition- was always one of them. I believe one thing that would/will help is having athletes from different teams get to know each other a lot better. In my time @ UA I went to just about every sporting event I could when I had the time...and I"m SERIOUS about that too.

The only sad part, was that I still wouldn't know many of the athletes I cheered on, because apart from seeing them every now and then on my way to class, we -UAlbany Athletic Deparpment- didn't have enough (or any?) sports/athlete building events where we got to know each other.

I believe if you have friends from OTHER sports, you'd be more likely to go out and support their games. MY SPORT: Track n Field aka "Athletics" has never been one to get TOO much "LOVE" @ the HS level, college or even Pro's. That's just something us "Trackies" have come to get used to, what we can hope for at best, is just recognition from our peers, which I think has improved a great deal @ UA, especially in the past few years that we've been successful.

So keep up the good work to all UA Athletes and....THE END

Peace n Love

Ps- G'luck to the Trackies @ the AmEast Champs

As far as the master plan goes for the athletic department: Its gonna be great, I've actually held the blue prints at a conference that was presented by the architectural firm "Sazaki." So this is what is happening... 2 Brand new turf fields beside the bubble, one athletic turf and the other field turf! The funds have been raised and ground will be broken this spring! Brand new 400 meter, 9 lane track/soccer stadium (It will include all throwing areas on the field) Its gonna be from 10 to 15 thousand seats. This facility will run behind dutch quad on the intramurals field...this facility will run parallel to university drive "the part near the chapel." Softball and field hockey fields that run parallel to the intramural fields will house our new Olympic sized pool, new recreation center, and new 200 meter banked indoor track and field. It has been proposed to make the RACC the non-athlete student rec. center. Next we have the 20k seating football stadium that will be built upon what is currently the Racc parking lot and grassy areas. This stadium will bring changes as well. A new facade for the Racc will be built, the front of the racc will now be what is the side/ rear walk up entrance instead the front being in between the PE and RACC. You'll now see the front of the building when turning onto University Drive from Western Avenue. On game day fans will park in a huge new parking facility which will be placed in what is now wooded area at Harriman State offices campus, the fans will be bused over by shuttles for free of course (There will also be a soccer field over there. The current football field will be demolished, and re-sodded to make the athletic court yard, very similar to colins circle but with a bowl. We will have concerts, and events on this huge field...there are already talks of having parkfest on campus. (Note: that I left out the fields that will get minimal re-development, such as lower fields, and I'm sorry I dont remember where field hockey, and softball will be relocated) TOTAL CONSTRUCTION TIME: 10-15 years

TOTAL PRICE TAG: 200 Million dollars

P.S. The Architectural firm is from the City of Boston, and has done many University upgrades. Among those are Northeastern University. The design I saw was very congested, If there are multiple games on one day we may have crowding problems. Later!!!

now what is being built this spring and ready for next fall? Last i heard was that in March they are breaking ground on the soccer/lacrosse.field hockey field which will be were the current tennis and basketball courts are outside, next to the buddle. Thats what i have heard will be built over the summer, and completed by the beginning of the Fall Semester.

Also, what about the Baseball field. I keep hearing they want to put seatig and a press box in for that. They got the new scoreboard and BP's in i know already, but what about that?

2 Brand new turf fields beside the bubble, one athletic turf and the other field turf! The funds have been raised and ground will be broken this spring! Supposed to be ready by fall, but thats doubtful. To much going on in the summer (Giants) for the University to stay on schedule. They would have to construct around the Giants schedule. The Giants use all the lower fields, which will be just below the work zone, and the walk, and drive by the tennis courts on the way to lunch and dinner everyday at Indian! Before you assign the fields to teams becareful! soccer will get there own facility some time soon! you didnt hear this from me: only mens lacrosse was allowed to use one of the turf fields, title 9 stepped in and said well women have to use it too! So as for now only mens, and womens lacrosse have definite slots over there. It is because of boosters/alumni are being selfish! contracts have been drawn up!!!!!

I dont understand this last post? What do you mean title 9 stepped in. Title 9 has ZERO legal precedent over the construction of fields...trust me, I WROTE A 60 page law school article on Title 9. All Title 9 says is that their must be proportionate athletic funding (scholarships and opportunities based on percentages of male/female student body ratio) for men and females. For example, you have 51% females, then you need your athletic opportunities (ie. number of athletes) to be within the 51% ratio. You can not apply this to STATE FUNDING or PRIVATE FUNDING of real, or improved real, property. If that were the case...every school in America would be in violation. Further, Field hockey will be located in the same facility as lax...it is a two field, 2500 per stadium, A-Frame set up. Field hockey gets field the field turf field. At one point the discussion was the WLAX use the Fhockey stadium...but I think that is a moot pt because the school, not the NCAA said they will share the Lax stadium (which makes sense from a marking of the field standpoint). They will practice more likely at the Field Hockey stadium.

Be careful what you are stating. The reason the Field Hockey team got their own field was requirements for their turf set by the AE (and I beleive the NCAA) to speed up the game. The lax field was always going to be seperate...and when one donor ponies up 250k...he can say...I WANT IT TO GO TO LAX.

Out of curiousity....what did the previous poster mean by the following comments:

A) 10k-15k seat track/soccer facility...while I hope this happens, none of us have heard that and it seams a bit much to have two 15k seat stadiums on campus. Only HUGE schools have that. Plus, President Hall said he like our level of competition. Even if we stepped up to the A-Ten level, there is absolutely no need for a 15k seat soccer/track facility. Heck, the best soccer teams in the country have less seats....more in the 2000-5000 range. Further, schools like UF barely have 10000 seats for track).

B) The rec center sounds awesome...but what is the deal w/ the pool. Why have two pools unless the old gym will be demolished.

C) What do you mean making the RACC the non-athlete rec center. You think they are going to build a new arena as well....if so you are NUTS. The RACC isnt going anywhere. To boot, the RACC IS the non-athlete weight facility....so again, I am confused. It would seem they would re-vamp the current weight facility for student use, the one in the old gym because the athlete facility will be housed in the new football facility.

D) Softball and Baseball both are receiving 2500 seat bleachers and press boxes.

Some of your info is a bit off...but if they have changed recently, that is quite impressive. As for Sasaki, they built Conte Forum and Alumni Stadium for BC, much in the same way as the RACC. In fact, if you look at Alumni stadium, the lower bowl will look much like ours.

Edited by Dane96

In case you were wondering about Title 9....this says it pretty well:

"Norma Cantu, head of the Department of Education's Office of Civil Rights, says that Title 9 'does not require the elimination of teams, but rather requires equal opportunity.'" "Schools can also show they are continuing to add women's teams. Or they can show that a numerical gap between men and women demonstrates different interests on the part of the student body."

BTW...I used that in my article, along with this:

http://www.aahperd.org/nagws/pdf_files/t9factoids.pdf

Basically, to say "WE WANT A MEN's ONLY LAX FIELD...is pretty simple..."OK, so we have another field woman can share for field hockey/lax." Further, go up to UNH, where their field hockey lax field is FOR WOMEN ONLY per the trust set up by the donor.

Edited by Dane96

A.+ B.) First let me start off by saying that I am only reciprocating what has been presented to me by official personel, I don't see how you are confused, I'm just saying what has been shown to me or said to me by "important people!!!" As far as title 9 goes I think yo misinterpreted what was being said: ("title 9 has ZERO legal precedent over the construction of fields...trust me, I WROTE A 60 page law school article on Title 9.)

The issue with title 9 isn't "precedence over construction," its over the legitimate use of an athletic facility. There has to be equal opportunity for female athletes as well as equal funding, that is the only issue with title 9 here! An NCAA handbook is available at NCAA.org. The University CAN NOT provide one thing for males and not for females, it doesn't matter if its a Tee shirt, must be equal. By the way 250k doesn't scratch the surface of the total costs. The turf material itself will cost in excess of 800k, and yes I have see the invoice estimations provided to UAlbany by CHA (turf company) you may visit them at: http://www.cha-llp.com/markets/sportsrec/collegiate/

C.) "What do you mean making the RACC the non-athlete rec center. You think they are going to build a new arena as well....if so you are NUTS." No the facility that will house the pool will may be for athletes only and the RACC (except B.Ball courts) will be for students...squash courts, track, weight room, PE gym etc.

D.) Have not heard anything about softball or baseball renovations, your input is the first time I am hearing about bleachers and press box. But thats awesome as well!

Nope...I have noticed...but we have been talking about track.

The lax/fieldhockey two stadiums I believe is a 5mm cost. In any event, I think we both are saying the same thing. However, trust me on this....if you read the federal law...not the confusing guidelines of the NCAA, the Men can have a facility built for them excluding a woman's program if, and only if, they give woman an equal facility. When the hoopla was going on about the lax field, the woman WERE being given an equal facility.

So...we are both correct in a way.

A question about the track stadium...(YOU HAPPY PLAY FAIR?). Is the school looking to host MAJOR (not sure what major meet it could host) meets, hence the size of the facility. It just seems crazy for such a huge stadium. If the football stadium is going to be 40mm (more like 50 or so when it is said and done), it would seem that a T&F/Soccer stadium of that magnitude would cost at least a 1/3 if not half of that cost. There would have to be some return on that expenditure. Is there some big meet we can host?

As for baseball/softball...it has been reported in many places....and I believe Dr. McElroy went on record with it...but I could be wrong. My personal source I cannot divulge.

I tell you what, if this all comes to fruition....that campus is going to feel like a top DI campus. In fact, IMHO, the state screwed up years ago by giving UB all the money for the world games. UA is more centrally located to be the FLAGSHIP of the SUNY's.