UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Articles on UB athletics

alum73

But therein lies the problem, Ruler, yourself and the other Albany fans are already Albany fans. There has to be a way to get Joe Fan to the game. Be honest, how many of your friends root for Cuse or another DI school and are going to to forfeit watching a game between two I-AA powers? There is really nothing to do in Maine, Montana, Delaware, etc. Hofstra even lucks out because there is no dominant college football team in the area.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wanted to compliment those who have contributed to this string. I am one who is very perplexed by the question of whether it is in the best interests of the University to invest the revenue needed to upgrade to D1AA scholarship football and construct the appropriate sized stadium and have a difficult time trying to quantify the benefits. It is obviously easier to quantify the expense, both in dollars and in title IX effects. So, I appreciate the passionate presentation of all sides of the argument; while respecting the rights of those on the other side to their equally well presented opinions. Keep up the good work - it is was makes message boards most valuable.

One opinion I do have is that regardless of whether the level of competition is improved, there is a value to the university-community relationship to construct what would be the best football stadium within at least 100 miles. To have it be a goal of high school players to make it to a title game to be played on our campus would have significant marketing value for the university.

But therein lies the problem, Ruler, yourself and the other Albany fans are already Albany fans.  There has to be a way to get Joe Fan to the game.  Be honest, how many of your friends root for Cuse ...and are going to to forfeit watching a game between two I-AA powers?

Not the way the Cuse has played lately. I know a lot of people might watch a top, 1 vs. 2 game, but not that many are 'must-see' games that they'd plan an afternoon around. I think high school ball is what you're really competing against here - something like 10-15 games each Friday and each Saturday.

There is really nothing to do in ... Montana,

That's funny. Every year on the I-AA forum somebody from Montana says a I-AA that doesn't draw 15,000 has an incompetent AD, somebody else says there's nothing else to do in Montana, and the Griz fans rise up to say what an outdoors paradise is centered in Billings

Delaware,

an hour from Philly and Baltimore

Hofstra even lucks out because there is no dominant college football team in the area.

and Albany is different from this how?

No, there's no sure thing here, but FB at the non-scholarship level has gone about as far as it can, and the number of schools playing at that level has been dwindling for years. And I can remember, Homecoming weekend highlighted by a soccer game just doesn't make it.

First, Hofstra has horrible fan support. I am not entertaining any argument to the contrary.

Second, fans won't come see CCSU...they will come see Montana, Delaware, W&M etc. Why? Two-fold. Schools which are the flagships of the state are not an afterthought amongst the casual fan. What I mean by this, is fans think of Montana and think of the main University as U of Montana. Same with Delaware. To the casual fan, it invokes a big time atmosphere (WOW...we are playing Montana...can't believe they are coming here.) It is not like there are a boatload of schools in these states. The real fan knows how good these teams are. The casual fan (the one you need to sell) probaby doesnt know half the football teams in the West, or assumes a school size of UD would have a Conference USA type squad. Finally, the students will come out simply from the aura of a stadium and because now the kids from Rockland and Westchester counties, and LI, will be able to mess around with there pals who attend the Lehigs, WMS, JMU'S, UD's because at those schools tradition abounds in football. They can make weekend trips to see there buddies and vice-versa (their freinds will come here).

Initially, the lure of the stadium will sell the fans. Then it will die a bit, however with each generation....the fan base will grow. This wont be overnight.

YOU MUST TRY TO SEE IF YOU CAN SUCCEED!!