UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

It appears UA gets a Big One

Patch,

Once again, great research.

It looks like UAlbany has really stepped up the recruiting this fall. Have we ever had so many verbal commitments in the fall recruiting season?

Brown seems to be recruiting like there is no tomorrow. Hopefully, he will be doing the job for us again in the fall of 2006.

Sign a new contract with him now!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Recruiting seems to be a very strange and risky situation for Low DI programs. Coaches have to do their homework and take risks.

Coach Brown seemingly has had alot of success with early signings. Remember recruiting is inexact and it's hard for Low DI teams to sign high profile kids so you have to gamble. I think it's like baseball if you bat .300 you're very good if you hit .400 you are oustanding.

I don't know Coach Brown's batting average but I do know that Jamar (ROY), Levi (All Rookie), Iati (ROY), Brent Wilson (All Rookie) add an injured Lillis to the list all were early signings and add the fact that we got two transfers who really helped us Jordan (2nd Teamm All AE) and Zoellner and I think that out of the present verbals we have a chance to have a diamond in the rough or hopefully two.

I believe there is still 1 more scholarship to give. It should be interesting to see if it is used now or held for the spring or for a transfer.

What's more interesting is that rather than talk about our current new guys we'll start to see if any of the 4 new guys will be talented enough to help get us to the heights we hope to reach.

From NEWS23 website regarding the 6'11"  Gifford........

His AAU coach says teams from the Big 12 and Atlantic 10 were starting to show interest, but Gifford wanted to make his call now.

10007[/snapback]

What a great get for UAlbany!

My only regret is that the powers-that-be over on the Siena board will not appreciate the quality of the players we continue to receive.

That thought is more than balanced by the prospect of a few more years of dominating Capital District collegiate basketball.

This is from Gifford's AAU Coach and a Rivals Message Board.....

It seems very honest and straight forward.

Brett Gifford (Rockbridge) played well against (name players)... Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cole Aldrich from Minnesota who has been offered by both KU and North Carolina. It was an even match back in May. Aldrich is a big kid..6'11 and 250 pounds. Brett destroyed 6'11 JP Gavinski who is going to Wisconsin (Big 10 Wisconsin) outscoring him 17-5 (Gavinski had a late 3 pointer) 12 rebounds and 4 blocks in a head to head matchup in Indianapolis. Brett also had Team Missouri's first 16 points against 43 hoops elite from Minneapolis in Las Vegas. Brett has really put the time in and worked really hard on his game to get where he is now. I know because I was his summer AAU coach. Coach Scanlon at Rockbridge has done a great job developing him. One other thing...as far as national rankings, I'm not sure if Clark Francis from HoopScoop ever saw Brett play in his entire career. How he can say a kid is ranked 101-300 is beyond me, when he probably never saw the kid play. (I sure did not see Clark Francis at any events we played at and I know who he is.) Too many kids are ranked high because of hype and/or attending one of the national shoe camps. Shoe camp events are great for the kids attending, but there are a bunch of kids nationally and regionally that are overlooked every year. Brett is in that category and expect him to have a great career at Albany. He would have had a good career at UW Milwaukee or Utah State as well. I know Brett really liked the players at Albany, liked the quality of education offered and the potential of immediately being able to contribute next season. One questioned asked by others on the message boards: As far as in-state schools Missouri State realy liked him, but has quite a few big guys..UMKC offered, SEMO offered but as far as I know SLU or MU did not show much if any interest. I was a little surprised at that. Evaluating players is certainly not an exact science, but most basketball people I know who have seen Brett play feel that he has the potential to be really, really good in about two years. Another kid from Columbia Hickman, Lance Harris fell into that same category and is doing really well at K-State. Jamaal Tatum from Helias is another in state kid passed up who will probably be a Missouri Valley All Conference player this year at SIU.

For those interested JP Gavinski info

J.P. Gavinski

rated 4 stars

Center

Wisconsin Dells (WI)

Wisconsin Dells

Height: 6-foot-10

Weight: 230 pounds

RIVALS.COM RANKINGS

RivalsHoops 2006: Top 150 (93)

RivalsHoops: 2006 Centers (13)

Edited by Patch

Long-term it looks like he could really thrive in the AE where he won't face many guys his size. Really looks like a terrific recruit. Short-term he will be stepping into a team that will likely have multiple established scorers so he won't be looked upon to be a savior.

I can't wait until he signs so we can hear what Coach Brown has to say about him.

Just curious if anyone saw Wyland's story on the verbal. I missed it but there was a reference to it on the $iena board.

As far as another signing I think this is the fourth verbal although I don't know who the other one is from. It would make sense for another guard but we might have to wait for letter of intents to come in to find out.

9949[/snapback]

Wait whos Wyland? Is he a fourth Recruit? Anyone know anything about this? Where is it on the Siena Board?

9952[/snapback]

Yes, A Fourth recruit 6'1 shooting gaurd Rodger Wyland. times union reports he may be the biggest steal for coach brown since jamar wilson. he is ecpected to come in and have an impact right away! this guy is no joke can play the 1 two and 33 has excellent range. potentiall rookie of the year next season. also ualbnay is said to be talking to 6 4' swing man damien andrews! top prep junior by hoop scoop in new york state.

Very interesting to see UA recruit Brett Gifford (6'11, 250lb C, from Missouri) rated 3-stars on Telep's site The Insiders Hoop.

I believe the only other three star recruit taken by UA was Jamar Wilson lets hope Brett Gifford matches the accomplishments of Jamar.

Kinda heavy expectations to lay on Gifford but I hope you're right Patch. I expect him to take a little longer to develop than Jamar who was a huge factor right from the start (because we needed him to be).

While I don't they they were quite as highly ranked I thought Joe Dyson and Covington were 3 star recruits also. It seems like Brown is bringing in several very good AE quality players each year and then adding that one guy who is above what you usually see in the AE.

DP not expectations, I used a few key words "lets HOPE".

The key with Gifford is there will be an abundance of veteran people around him unlike Jamar's Frosh season.

Some veterans returning next year ......

Jamar, Iati, Lillis, Siggers, and B. Wilson to name a few who we expect to be productive.

Very rarely does an AE team get a 6'11" 250lb kid rated so high. If he was a polished player Wisconsin and Missouri etal would have been in on him like "stink on c**p".

I would expect him to be somewhat of a project but one with a great upside. He could be a "BIG" part of keeping UA very competitive in the AE in the future.

My only regret is that the powers-that-be over on the Siena board will not appreciate the quality of the players we continue to receive.

That thought is more than balanced by the prospect of a few more years of dominating Capital District collegiate basketball.

Olddog I think Siena fans appreciate that Albany got a good one in Gifford. When Albany signed him, he was really under the radar, not appearing on any recruiting sites. He has since received very favorable write-ups. Any fan of a mid major program knows how difficult it is to sign quality big men. Congrats to Coach Brown and UAlb

The Siena board is for promoting Siena, that’s why you’ll see very little on Albany recruits… or Manhattan recruits, Iona recruits etc. Nothing more than a passing mention.

You guys have your own board here and the AE board to promote your recruits. You didn’t see Siena fans posting all over the Albany board when they landed a highly rated recruit… a recruit with offers from the big East, A10 and Big 12 etc.

Siena Tony congrats, you just told us and we're impressed....

You guys have your own board here and the AE board to promote your recruits. You didn’t see Siena fans posting all over the Albany board when they landed a highly rated recruit… a recruit with offers from the big East, A10 and Big 12 etc.

Hey Tony, don't you realize there are quite a few area basketball fans who catch games of Siena and Albany and because of that may wish to post on both sites.

As you are known to do - if someone disagrees with you ban them from your Siena site and you won't hear anything more about UA basketball. It seems to me that you are starting to get a little unnerved by the other DI program in town. OH, excuse me on your board we aren't even a program yet.

I'm sure you'll always be welcomed here. Dane Pound seems to like, clean, open and factual discussions.

Good Luck, I hope you guys get Magee and Carr. That would truly be an excellent first recruiting class for McCaffrey and Siena.

Let me preface this by stating that a single match up means nothing but this is intriguing though meaningless at best. Cole Aldrich just committed to KANSAS!

November 2, 2005

ALDRICH Headed to Big 12 

Shay Wildeboor

RivalsHoops.com Recruiting Analyst

There was a time when it looked like Cole Aldrich would take a couple of official visits before making a decision about his future, but that is no longer the case. Aldrich, the No. 9 ranked player in the class of 2007, has given a verbal commitment to Bill Self and the Kansas Jayhawks.

This is from Gifford's AAU Coach and a Rivals Message Board, in response to "Has Gifford Played against any good Big People.....

Cole Aldrich from Minnesota who has been offered by both KU and North Carolina. It was an even match back in May. Aldrich (5 star rating) is a big kid..6'11 and 250 pounds. Brett destroyed 6'11 JP Gavinski (4 star rating) who is going to Wisconsin (Big 10 Wisconsin) outscoring him 17-5 (Gavinski had a late 3 pointer) 12 rebounds and 4 blocks in a head to head matchup in Indianapolis

Know if only Gifford could play at that level everyday for UA!! WOW!!!