UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Do you root for Siena

You guys are funny. I respect UAlbany a lot and really respect Will Brown and what he's done with your program. Siena was down last year but we are quickly heading back to the top of the mountain.

Saturday should be a very good game. Albany has all of the pressure on them, as very few expect Siena to win.

I'll say this if Albany thinks this is an easy win then they're in for a rude awakening. I don't think Will Brown will allow that though.

Good luck this season except for Saturday of course!

10623[/snapback]

MTS,

I'm not sure that anyone here thinks that UAlbany expects the Saturday game to be easy. All we have to do is remember our lone modern victory against you last year which was not decided until the last 5 minutes of the game. I certainly respect your team a lot more than that.

You have a new coach who has inspired your team with motivation and pride. It has reflected itself in your two good showings this year. I am sure that anybody here who really knows Capital District basketball is not discounting your chances.

I think you can see, however, in this thread the reasons why some UAlbany fans are not particularly great supporters of your program. This rivalry carries some baggage for some fans, particularly the older fans.

Again, I am hoping that eventually this rivalry will command enough respect for each other's program from the fans and serious followers of basketball that the Pepsi will sell out. What do you think the turnout will be this year? Anyone hazard a guess in which year the Pepsi actually will sell out?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly. I wish Siena well, however I will not root for them. I have respect for Siena, just like I have respect for the Red Sox. Anger, hate, not good words. The only word to define this is simple "RIVALRY."

I havent read all of this thread, however anyone saying this came is cakewalk...is just silly. I expect this to be either a massive blowout (not likely), or a 6-7 point game.

Wishing Siena good luck the rest of the way (other than Saturday) I will do. Root for them...I will not.

I do root for Siena when they are not playing Albany. I don't recall any rivalry when I was in school, in fact I didn't know anything about Siena until I found this board (actually the predecessor to this board) a few years back.

In terms of the game on Saturday, it will be the first one that I'll miss in the last 4 years - won't even hear the game as my son has a basketball game that afternoon.

Anyway, I think it'll certainly be a good game. I feel good about the insertion of Iati into the starting line up and the rebounding and defensive intensity at UCLA. That said, Siena appears to be a much improved team this year. While most of the players are the same, they seem to be adjusting to the new coaches style quite well. I would also expect them to be fired up for the game because Albany has gotten more publicity than usual as they were picked to win the conference.

I think not being in the same league (unlike Duke NC, tec)allows me to root for both, but I can see both points of view. All fans generally root for their rivals when playing out of conference, for league prestige. All teams have insufferable fans, including us and as we have more success, they'll be even more apparent. 48 hrs. until tip-off!!

Some of the stuff I'm reading makes me want to puke. After all of the crap Albany has taken over all the years, how the hell can any true Albany fan find it remotely possible to ever root for Siena. I remember a columnist referring to Albany as 'dirty doodle land' after one particular Albany-Siena game in the early 70's.

I would wager that Doc does not root for Siena, ever. And that's good enough for me.

I remember a columnist referring to Albany as 'dirty doodle land' after one particular Albany-Siena game in the early 70's.

I would wager that Doc does not root for Siena, ever. And that's good enough for me.

10629[/snapback]

Columnist/curmudgeon Barney Fowler started calling us that after a graffiti/vandalism incident in the dorms.

Doc wouldn't shake hands with Billy Kirsch after $iena ended the series in 1977 (role model for Micheal Ray Richardson?)

This would have been an excellent subject for a weekly poll.

KingDane and DaneMan, you guys are nuts...LOL

Remember Albany is Siena's town. Just like New York is a Yankee town, the Mets are always going to be second. Heck, Chicago is a Cubs town but look who just won the world series.

So Albany will certainly have their moments (Mets owned NY in the 80's) BUT overall Siena will always be the kings of the capital district.

Unless you get to the sweet 16 first ;-)

Here's to a good game on Saturday...pressure's all on you guys to kick our butts!

Some of the stuff I'm reading makes me want to puke. After all of the crap Albany has taken over all the years, how the hell can any true Albany fan find it remotely possible to ever root for Siena. I remember a columnist referring to Albany as 'dirty doodle land' after one particular Albany-Siena game in the early 70's.

10629[/snapback]

Hip, Hip, Hooray........at least some people understand what a RIVALRY MEANS.

BTW....as a"90's" grad, I missed the early stuff, however Siena's overall attitude sucked in the 90's as well, hence my disdain. That, and the fact the Siena wouldnt even scrimmage Albany when I was in school because we were "inferior."

People...wake up...

Remember Albany is Siena's town. Just like New York is a Yankee town, the Mets are always going to be second. Heck, Chicago is a Cubs town but look who just won the world series.

So Albany will certainly have their moments (Mets owned NY in the 80's) BUT overall Siena will always be the kings of the capital district.

Here's to a good game on Saturday...pressure's all on you guys to kick our butts!

10631[/snapback]

That is quite comical. Yes, currently Siena hoops, with 30 years of DI experience, leads the CD in fan base. However, BASKETBALL IS THE ONLY SPORT SIENA HAS ANY SIGNIFICANCE IN. In every other sport, UA in our mere five DI years, has either gained even or dusted SIENA.

If you can sit there and say in 5-10 years there wont be a similar occurance in hoop.....you are surely mistaken.

Evolution my friend, evolution. UA's consistant gains in all facilities (both academic and athletic)...a pro-active president and a pro-active AD all lead to one thing....SHEER GROWTH!!!!

Fact is....alumni base locally...Siena wins. Nationally...not even close...UA. When folks start realizing there diploma will mean more with a "known campus" alumni will pour bucks into the UA coffers that Siena can't match. Look, in two years, UA has gotten donations both academically and athletically that have been the largest in school history (I think academic is a 5mm single donation and athletic 250k). These numbers will add up, allowing UA's infrastructure to grow.

Better infrastructure, better research facilities, better academics, larger campus, state school, more students, more alumni, will lead to a more powerful athletic profile of the school. Facts are, the residents in the CD, for the most part, are middle class families. Siena is a PRIVATE top academic school. Albany is a state run local middle class school. What is being done at Albany (and the other three centers) should have been done years ago. MTS, President Hall wants no athletic or academic comparisions to MAAC schools. Academically he wants us to be a Maryland, North Carolina, etc. Athletically, probably like a top level PL school, a top CAA school (Delaware, JMU, etc). He will not stop at anything short. Siena DOES NOT have those aspirations (though the fans do).

Local fans will be drawn to UA as the profile improves. Why? Because we mirror their own lives.

Just like y'all believed UA wouldnt beat Siena in 10 years, I wouldn't start betting the farm against UA becoming "THE" team of the CD. Give it time....I will serve you that crow eventually.

Edited by Dane96

You make valid points and Albany is certainly a threat to Siena's hold on the area if we don't continue as a solid program.

Lets be honest though the only sports than mean anything are basketball and football. And Albany is only 1-AA in football. If you move to 1-A then you've got an advantage.

Sorry but the general public doesn't care about volleyball or tennis.

Edited by MTS

10631[/snapback]

Haha, except for the fact that the Yanks are actually in New York and Cubs are actually in Chicago..so you can have all the fun you want claiming rights to the metropolis of Loudonville.

GO DANES!

Great point about all teams having insufferable fans. I have a hard time imagining any of us who've been through the down years becoming that insufferable but I'm sure it's possible. I hope our program gets to a point where we find out.

I honestly was amazed at the profound arrogance of Siena's alumni after we went to Divison I. I think that contributed to my acrimonious feelings towards them more than any history from the 70s or "State School" chant every could. I think many of them truly believed in that first meeting that they were going to beat us by 40 or 50 points and that we might never become competitive with them.

I'm not talking about the people on the Siena board by the way, these were actually people I'm neighbors with, am (gulp) related to, and work with. They practically threw a party when E.J. Gallup transferred to Coastal Carolina. They thought hiring Will Brown was the funniest thing ever because he was a "Rosie" in their terms (coached at St. Rose-"not a DI guy" they told me).

I think last year changed a lot and brought some new respect for Brown and UA. There is no possible way I could root for them but I do follow what they're doing. Mainly because I know some people who are local college basketball fans (not alums of either school) who follow both teams and enjoy talking basketball with them.

You make valid points and Albany is certainly a threat to Siena's hold on the area if we don't continue as a solid program.

Lets be honest though the only sports than mean anything are basketball and football. And Albany is only 1-AA in football. If you move to 1-A then you've got an advantage.

Sorry but the general public doesn't care about volleyball or tennis.

10634[/snapback]

Are you kidding if we went 1-A football that would be the worst idea ever. Look at Buffalo since I know there have been threads in the past about this I will not try to restart that fire. But I think if Albany builds its facilities the way they want to, they we will move past Siena. Staying 1-AA football will be the best idea because we can create a dominate power similar to Hofstra. Keys to this will be building a stadium and moving to a stronger conference. I'm sure there is a desire in the community to have a football stadium we could have a monopoly on the community, similar to the one Siena enjoyed in Basketball with the Pepsi Arena.

Same with our Basketball program three to five strong years similar to Boston University and the support from Alumni can get the ball rolling on getting money to build a new athletic center for the basketball team. Hopefully similar to Binghamton's or Boston University new arenas and perhaps we will do what Northeastern did and move out of the AE. New Facilities like Bing's and BU, and years of success will definitely attract more people way from the Pepsi, and make UA equal or superior to Siena and I think we can do it.