UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Do you root for Siena

"The Siena Hall of Fame"

If ever there was something that should be perched on the rim of a crapper, that would be it. What's in it? A lock of Bill Kirsh's rat-like hair? Gary Holle's plaid traveling pants?

I'm going to admit to being a little nervous about the game Saturday, only because of the Sacred Heart defeat. But then again, I'm nervous about everything.

Whoever it was that said he had difficulty looking at Siena when driving on Route 9 was exactly right. I once went past there while a wedding was taking place on the front lawn and watched as two of the bridesmaids began grazing.

An Albany resident might root two ways. But for an alumni - its unforgivable.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

P.S. I heard a crazy thing the other day and maybe someone can clear this up for me. Someone told me that there's a player on Siena (some big guy maybe it's # 11) that was found by their coach when he was on vacation in Costa Rica (or somewhere down south) is there any truth to this?

10611[/snapback]

The kid you might be referring to is Joao Braga - a 6'2" freshman point guard from Sao Paolo, Brazil. Braga participated in The NBA's Basketball Without Borders Program - whatever the hell that means. The NBA has some sort of an outreach program for Latin American players. They sponsor a bunch of kids from Latin America (the top amateur players) and send them up to The States for a couple of weeks to play against American kids, etc... I heard that Braga turned down a Brazilian "pro" contract to play for Siena.

Fran McCaffery was recruiting Braga at UNC-Greensboro, and lost touch with the kid during his transition to Siena. Apparently, Braga tracked McCaffery down at Siena over the summer and Fran decided to recruit Braga to Siena as Fran's replacement at UNCG wasn't expressing any interest in and/or didn't know about the kid. Braga hasn't seen any action this season, which probably means he isn't ready for Division One basketball yet.

As far as the poll goes. I root for both UA and Siena. While, I graduated from Siena, I really love what Will Brown has done, so I'm a bit torn over Saturday's game. I just want to see a good, clean battle and let the best team win.

"Albany is only 1-AA in football." - MTS

i don't believe that you will find many UA fans that hope to follow siena from NCAA 1-AA football to intramural flag football ... desperate times/statements to claim that outside of football and basketball nothing else matters ... weak athletic program

But overall Siena will always be the kings of the capital district." - MTS

your three decades head-start has eroded significantly in just a few years ... i posted the quote once before, but i'll never forget one of my siena alum friends nonchalantly stating, "you don't think you guys will ever win one of these games, do you?" ... hilarious how quickly siena has begun to look in the rear-view mirror ... siena football ducked UA following our move to 1-AA ... castelli avoided the UA women last season when siena would have been dogs ... i do visit the siena board on occasion, i get a kick out of saints fans completely passing off their misfortune on lanier ... "we suck, but that was only because of lanier ... that problem is gone now" ... you have a life jacket of excuses in lanier ... it appears you're prepared to use them for a # of years ... see you saturday ... kings, funny stuff ... drink of your choice on me after the game :lol:

Edited by alumni '92'

I graduated in '85, and was a big fan of Doc, Dieckelman, Croutier, and other players from the D III teams of that era. As a student, I was oblivious to Siena. However, during the Marc Brown/Bennerman years, I became a Siena fan. I had no personal history with the Albany - Siena rivalry in the 60s-70s.

But now, with both teams Div. I, its a different story. I rout hard for the Danes (always), and against Siena.

How quickly things change. A year ago, it was a disgrace for Siena to lose to Albany. Now, Siena fans feel "no pressure", since it is assumed that Albany will win.

I expect a close game. The bottom line is the game is great for the teams, the Pepsi Arena, and area hoop fans.

As a life long Albany resident (went to Colonie High - please find your way back to on court success Lucious) and an Albany Alum (student assistant for volleyball during a 4 of 5 year NCAA Tourney run), I will always bleed purple and gold. I have followed $iena for many years, attended many of their games and seen Doc Sauers and some of you at those games. I hope and expect that we will kick their ASSES on Saturday. That being said, I hope they do better than expected in the MAAC this year. The better $iena is the better Albany will become. This rivalry (yes Mr Etkin even you can call it that now) could grow into one of the best Mid Major rivalries in the country. I may be nuts but I envision a time when ESPN shows this game every year on one of its networks from a sold out Knickerbocker Arena. I hope the time comes when both schools are perennial favorites in their leagues with a real chance for both to play post season NCAA or NIT every year. The Aint's have leased a room on that block in the past; I expect that we will soon be residing there. Comparisons of the Athletic programs and Academics are silly. Albany is much more in both areas. We are a University they are a College. Many of us remember when we, at the DIII level regularly drew more fans to games than $iena did at the DI level. We are still finding our way - we do not need the fickle, boastful, boorish attitude of the $aints. We are what we are - a PUBLIC UNIVERSITY - with true diversity and high standards. That is the message we need to get out to the rest of the NCAA - from Loudonville to Binghamton to the West Coast. ;)

As a life long Albany resident (went to Colonie High - please find your way back to on court success Lucious) and an Albany Alum (student assistant for volleyball during a 4 of 5 year NCAA Tourney run), I will always bleed purple and gold.  I have followed $iena for many years, attended many of their games and seen Doc Sauers and some of you at those games.  I hope and expect that we will kick their ASSES on Saturday.  That being said, I hope they do better than expected in the MAAC this year.  The better $iena is the better Albany will become.  This rivalry (yes Mr Etkin even you can call it that now) could grow into one of the best Mid Major rivalries in the country.  I may be nuts but I envision a time when ESPN shows this game every year on one of its networks from a sold out Knickerbocker Arena. I hope the time comes when both schools are perennial favorites in their leagues with a real chance for both to play post season NCAA or NIT every year.  The Aint's have leased a room on that block in the past; I expect that we will soon be residing there.  Comparisons of the Athletic programs and Academics are silly.  Albany is much more in both areas.  We are a University they are a College.  Many of us remember when we, at the DIII level regularly drew more fans to games than $iena did at the DI level.  We are still finding our way - we do not need the fickle, boastful, boorish attitude of the $aints.  We are what we are - a PUBLIC UNIVERSITY - with true diversity and high standards.  That is the message we need to get out to the rest of the NCAA - from Loudonville to Binghamton to the West Coast. ;)

10645[/snapback]

Beautifully said!

As a 2004 grad I can not say that I grew up back in the old days when a real rivalry existed but here is what I do know...when I went to school and even now after graduation I root for two teams, "The Danes, and whoever is playing $iena" It is somewhat disappointing that a board to promote Great Dane fans is filled with what seem to be so many wishy washy (for lack of a better term) fans. If you are a danes fan that is it bottom line. This is a Div I basketball rivalry and i dont give a flying f-bomb about $iena.

I am sure that this point was made already but I found myself to be very frustrated by the amount of previous posts supporting $iena outside of this game.

With that I ask one final question, how can you be a true fan if you root for one team one night and then against it the next night???

I am sure that this point was made already but I found myself to be very frustrated by the amount of previous posts supporting $iena outside of this game.

Whoa, there!

First of all, congratulations on becoming a full-fledged Dane fan. Anyone who still follows UAlbany sports when not on campus to take advantage of easy, cheap access to the games should be uplifted.

Second, I think you may be a little harsh on Dane fans who have some sympathies for Siena. In past years, anyone in the Capital District who wanted to view D I games in person had to travel a distance to do so. Why not take advantage of what is close by? In doing so habitually, it is easy to reason why some Dane fans began to view Siena in a more positive light.

I also think, like some posters have already said better than I, that some pull for Siena because it makes the Danes look better. It's nice to say after a Dane victory over Siena who has just beat some high-ranking team(s) that we could competer against the ranked team(s) as well.

Don't discount the experience that some of us have enjoyed from the previous rivalry and what we actually witnessed. The number of fans in the Pepsi Arena may have be larger today, but it does not compare to the rivalries we were apart of in the past. I will give you three examples that come readily to mind which occurred 30 or more years ago.

(1) A hard-fought game in University Gym (not the larger RACC) which was called 72-56 in Albany's favor with 1:26 left on the clock because a large fight broke out in the stands.

(2) A one-point game won by Albany, again in University Gym, in the last few seconds in front of a crowd that was so partisanly Albany and so loud that the refs could not hear each other's whistles. I heard about the refs' difficulties from other refs who were talking about the game several days later more than 90 miles away.

(3) A decisive 62-49 victory by Albany over Siena the year Siena decided to go D I from D III when Albany would remain D III for much longer. It was so wonderful to beat them I can still taste it.

As you can read, many old-time fans can still see certain images firmly entrenched in their imaginations decades later. For us, the rivalry was very much intense. As I stated earlier, my wife and I have to drive a long distance to each Albany "home" game, and we have done so for well over three decades.

That being said, I do not think it is impossible to be somewhat ambivalent toward our rivals. It is still possible to be a very loyal UAlbany fan and not have ill feelings toward Siena.

Just imagine if you were a Saints fan today. I would feel a little intimidated by the rapid rise of a second competitor to your own program after having had no competition for 30 years.

For all you on the above post who root for Siena when they are not playing us, I suggest you take a look at the arrogance on the Siena board.

I never seen a lack of knowledge and class in a larger proportion from any other teams fan base. Nor have I seen a fan base more arrogant than Siena fans in any sport and that includes Yankee fans whose team's actually accomplish things more than 1 second round appearance in 30years.

Again, I will never root for that team and it has been because of their fans. Sure they have some good fans but sadly those fans are out numbered by the ignorant jerks.

I never seen a lack of knowledge and class in a larger proportion from any other teams fan base. Nor have I seen a fan base more arrogant than Siena fans in any sport and that includes Yankee fans whose team's actually accomplish things more than 1 second round appearance in 30years

After reading and hearing all the nonsense in the media this past offseason, I think Siena fans have a right to relish in this victory. Most of us are not intentionally rubbing it in the face of UAlabny fans, but rather the media who basically had wriiten us off this season.

I think the mere fact that we are so excited about this victory is a testament to the progress that the Danes have made. Three years ago I EXPECTED the Saints to win and win big. Yesterday I was very nervous even with the Saints large lead early in the second half.

All in all, it was a great day of basketabll for the Capital Region.

BTW, Siena has accomplished much more than what you have wriiten above as I am sure you are aware of.

I never seen a lack of knowledge and class in a larger proportion from any other teams fan base. Nor have I seen a fan base more arrogant than Siena fans in any sport and that includes Yankee fans whose team's actually accomplish things more than 1 second round appearance in 30years

After reading and hearing all the nonsense in the media this past offseason, I think Siena fans have a right to relish in this victory. Most of us are not intentionally rubbing it in the face of UAlabny fans, but rather the media who basically had wriiten us off this season.

I think the mere fact that we are so excited about this victory is a testament to the progress that the Danes have made. Three years ago I EXPECTED the Saints to win and win big. Yesterday I was very nervous even with the Saints large lead early in the second half.

All in all, it was a great day of basketabll for the Capital Region.

BTW, Siena has accomplished much more than what you have wriiten above as I am sure you are aware of.

10696[/snapback]

Hey, I have no problem with complaints about the media. I have a problem with the arrogance on the Siena board and some of the fans in general.

I have complaints about the media too. The amount of coverage given to such a poor Siena team last year would just be one of them. As far as predictions by the media and coaches, there is way too much stock put on them.

As far as Siena being expected to do poorly, it wasn't just the media. All 10 MAAC coaches picked Siena last. Aren't these the people who supposedly know the MAAC the best. Obviously this was based on last years 6-24 and minimal additions. So shoot the messenger, the media was wrong so far.

BTW, I caught some of the UCLA- UAlbany game on the rerun on FSW2(I was at the game so I only saw a little of the broadcast) and must say there is a world of difference between those announcers and any of them in our area. As a matter of fact I sent an email to Doug Sherman telling him to watch the tape of that game in order to get a better idea on how to do a game.