UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Did U see?

I usally just read but i had to post about something i saw in the game. after iati drive to the rim in the second half he was pulled after only a minute if that. he can over to the sideline and gave his chair hell with a nfl style punt. i was shocked not so much as by the kicking of the chair but by how fast he was pulled. it must be frustrating for a former roy to not even check into the game tonight. he was red hott to start the year and now can't even get tot he scorerstable anymore. I know other people are playing well and we are winning but isnt. hasent he proven that he can help us over the last 2 or 3 years. however if the basketball thing dosent work out i know the football team is looking for some one who can kick the ball.

I think everyone feels for Jon.

Jon is in a severe slump.

When a team like UVM plays 4 players at 6'7" or bigger at the same time there isn't much time available for Jon.

We have seen Jon struggle offensively and defensively, we have seen Lucious struggle offensively but become a defensive stopper, we have seen Levi lose a starting spot but continue to be the warrior we need and we have seen the emergence of Jason Siggers both offensively and defensively.

There are only so many minutes to be had. Let's hope Jon shakes it off and when his opportunity comes he knocks down some shots and regains his status.

The object of the game is to win and in order to do that the most productive players must get the minutes. At this time it seems Jon isn't the most productive.

Yes I saw Jon struggle shooting the ball earlier this year. I also have seen some other guys struggle in lou for about the first 15 games minus siena and siggers with 2 points in the last 2 games combined. The bottom line is we are winning games now and we were winning games then with diffrent rotation. The minutes seem to change and i wonder if it its practice related. he did shoot well against unh 2-3 from 3 and stony brook 2-3 from 3 and 1 -2 the other night so i don't know if he is still in a slump. regardless wins cover alot of wrong in any aspects of the program.

As Patch said, we need Jon Iati.

If we have one or two bad injuries, he might be inserted right into the regular lineup again.

The scoring focus has changed as the season has progressed. We are trying to go inside for higher percentage shots much more. Beforehand, we had relied too much on the three, and often opponents could too often guess what was coming next with our team.

Even after Zoellner departs, I expect our current strategy to remain the same as we can get it inside to a tough Brent Gifford.

Unfortunately, with many more talented players, not everyone will have the minutes they saw earlier. It's regrettable, but for the team and the fans it's much superior to ending a game with only four men on the floor, as happened just a short 24 months ago.

I feel for Iati - but I also have great sympathy for Bauman and Connelly and some others. Hopefully, their turns will all come.

The only thing I can add about Iati, is that you can't teach size. I know it's not his fault but he stand 5'10" with this high heels on. I was at the game last night, and right before he got yanked he was completelly out of controll. He drove down to the baseline with no where to go and got stripped of the ball I belive. I think since John came here 3 years ago, he needs to realize that his role changed. He was great in the VCU game he came in late/middle of the second half and hit 2 3's in a matter of a minute or two. He shouldn't be a guy who drives it down into the lane with his size, because I don't think he has the awareness to pass out of there. He is a shooting guard caught in a small PG body. Belive me, I like John but his role has sugnificantly changed since he arrived at Albany and he needs to realize that and not get down on him self.

There are only so many minutes to be had. Let's hope Jon shakes it off and when his opportunity comes he knocks down some shots and regains his status.

Do you consider 1 min. an opportunity?

12057[/snapback]

One minute was his opportunity and last night he did not take advantage of it. John came in, passed up an open look at a three (what he is on the floor for) then drove the lane against a team with 4 guys over 6'7" and was out of control, and lost the ball. John is and will be an important contributor in certain situations. Last night was not one of those. Do I feel bad for him? Sure, but this team clinched the AE regular season title and has 17 wins.

The offense was rolling almost all night, absent the stretch to end the first half. There can be no problems with rotations last night.

Does this seem to be a negative thread.

The Danes have won 15 of their last 18.

The coach seems like he has a good feel on what different guys can do in different situations. Here are just a few examples.......

1. Brian Connolly 4 big points vs Maine in limited but important minutes and then last night 6 big points in limited minutes.

2. Siggers playing a big time role in winning a few games and then a lesser role in others.

3. Levi and Lu being stalwarts some games yet getting alot less minutes then they would like in some other games.

This is a team made up of many different parts, Jon Iati is and should be a very important option - just think back to the home win against Binghamton.

Most of all Jon is a "GREAT GUY" let's hope he can hang in there and be a contributor in the remaining games.

Don’t get me wrong I like John, but who would you sit to play him? Would you play John over Covington? Or Siggers? He certainly in my opinion should not start, as we have better players with more size that can do the job for us. I can’t believe we are having the conversation after the Danes clinch the regular season title. Team FIRST not John.

I'm sure it's tough for a guy who's probably started and played a ton of minutes since he started playing basketball. There have been games prior to last night's where you could see he's been frustrated and sometimes presses when he does get in the game.

Sorry to see it happen to a guy who has been intergral to the building of the program. On the bright side there are some games left for him to let the game come to him and get some of his swagger back. Let's hope he does.

It was a tough night for the Iati fan club also which we brought to the game last night. They spent the day making Iati signs and then went bananas went he went in the game only to see him pulled a few minutes later and the chair thing. Then they waited by the locker room for about an hour after the game for an autograph that never came. Probably would have cheered Iati up as much as them. Hopefully they get another chance on March 11th.

I think this team has several players that may not be thrilled with their performance / opportunities this year - Iati, Jordan and Levi. I hope they all realize that the team is winning and that is what's really important.

Jon has two more years to help this team win. Not sure how much his illnesss impacted his shooting or was it simply a loss of confidence, but I think it's important for the program that he keep working and help this team not only for the rest of this year but for the next two as well.

This team is losing four seasoned veterans next year. It will be difficult to fill all those voids immediately. There will be plenty of opportunities for the remaining veterans to make major contributions at the beginning of the season.

If anything, these veterans can be mentors to the incoming players to guide them in what the team will need next year. Iati was very important to the team in our OOC schedule, and he can play a major role again. He can also hone more of his skills in the off-season to gain playing time.

I hope we posters will focus on the great opportunities that await this team after this season. We lose four players and pick up the same number, but this incoming team will be quite experienced, as other teams also lose players. Hopefully, we can discuss how many wins the team will have next year (20+?) more than playing time this year.

One minute was his opportunity and last night he did not take advantage of it. John came in, passed up an open look at a three (what he is on the floor for) then drove the lane against a team with 4 guys over 6'7" and was out of control, and lost the ball.

First off lets get it right the shot clock was getting low so Jon was frrced to try to make a play which he did get in the lane and missed a shot then got his rebound and kicked it back out to covington who tried to drive and picked up an offensive foul. Im not saying put him in the starting line up im just wondering what happened to his minutes?

Jon has contributed a great deal to UAlbany. He set minute records his 1st year and we are fortunate we now are more healthy and more talented than 2 years ago. We still need Jon! He is a fan favorite, opponents fear his shooting ability. Last nights match up was tough--6'11, 6'8, 6'8, 6'8, and 6'3 creates a problem for Jon(and it did for Jamar).

Kicking a chair is only frustration for wanting to help in a very important game. He may not have been on the court but he is one of the first ones off the bench with encouragement at time outs.

First off I will say I was happy to stumble across this site. I listen to all the games from DC (just moved here) and saw this site on the espn.com. Happy to see all the other dane fans.

Good for the program but bad for Iati that the team is bringing in bigger players these days. He is a great player and it is a big benefit to the team to have someone with his game experience to coming off the bench.