UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

What now?

Will's ties to LI are not as strong as they once were with his parents now living in the Albany area.  Parents with young children feel it is important for those kids to have a close relationship with their grandparents.  That's got to be a factor.  Of course, if a $1 million offer came from an ACC or Big East team, I wouldn't recommend against taking it.  You can put a nice addition onto the mansion for grandparents for that kind of mulah.

13325[/snapback]

Very true, however wherever Will goes his parents will go. Further, the CAA is now on the MAP...and the job is the next step to a Big East/CAA type of job. Hofstra probably pays in the 250k range.

There is no difference in his parents selling a home, whenever Will decides to leave, because of conference affiliation. When he leaves, they leave. The fact that the family (outside of his wife's whom I believe hail from the CD) is from LI originally definately is a factor to weigh in here.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heard Will on Roger Wyland show a short while ago. Will was incredibly positive about UAlbany. Sure sounded like he wants to stay for a long time. He was trying to be very diplomatic in assessing next year's team as he doesn't want to take anything away from this year's team. (That's another thing I like about Will. Though he can be brutally honest, he is at the same time very conscious of other's. He sure does show a lot of maturity.) But he is clearly quite enthusiastic about next year.

Heard Will on Roger Wyland show a short while ago.  Will was incredibly positive about UAlbany.  Sure sounded like he wants to stay for a long time.  He was trying to be very diplomatic in assessing next year's team as he doesn't want to take anything away from this year's team.  (That's another thing I like about Will.  Though he can be brutally honest, he is at the same time very conscious of other's. He sure does show a lot of maturity.)  But he is clearly quite enthusiastic about next year.

13330[/snapback]

Very, very, very, very glad to hear that!!!!!

Heard Will on Roger Wyland show a short while ago.  Will was incredibly positive about UAlbany.  Sure sounded like he wants to stay for a long time.  He was trying to be very diplomatic in assessing next year's team as he doesn't want to take anything away from this year's team.  (That's another thing I like about Will.  Though he can be brutally honest, he is at the same time very conscious of other's. He sure does show a lot of maturity.)  But he is clearly quite enthusiastic about next year.

13330[/snapback]

Very, very, very, very glad to hear that!!!!!

13332[/snapback]

Will also said that he is looking to be here "for a long time" I was overjoyed to hear him say that. I really think that he might be a lifer! :D:D:D:D:D

If Will takes UAlbany to the NCAAs a few more times - maybe even one more time if it is next year - he will get some very attractive offers. I would love to see him be a lifer, but that is not realistic at the DI level. And if he went to a much bigger program, I will not blame him.

If Will takes UAlbany to the NCAAs a few more times - maybe even one more time if it is next year - he will get some very attractive offers.  I would love to see him be a lifer, but that is not realistic at the DI level.  And if he went to a much bigger program, I will not blame him.

13335[/snapback]

I too hope Coach Brown is here for the long haul, but here's a quote to keep in mind from another area coach (who for this occasion shall remain nameless) that appeared recently in the Times-Union. It seems to be a very realistic assessment.

"I never thought I'd see the day where college basketball coaches would be paid $2 million a year," ..... "Now there are a lot that are paid $1 million and more than a handful paid $2 million. I don't anticipate that day ever coming for me. But if it did, I think it'd be very hypocritical of me to say if someone offered me $2 million to coach their basketball team, I'd say no."

If Will takes UAlbany to the NCAAs a few more times - maybe even one more time if it is next year - he will get some very attractive offers.  I would love to see him be a lifer, but that is not realistic at the DI level.  And if he went to a much bigger program, I will not blame him.

13335[/snapback]

It is really hard to say that it is not realistic, especially with Brown getting his feet wet coaching against one of the truy lifer's in NCAA basketball at Vermont. I think coach has his eyes set on filling the RACC with many banners and eventually one when/if he exceeds Doc Sauers record.

Keep in mind that other schools now know who Will Brown is and you can bet that Jim Calhoun will be talking up Will Brown when ADs of other programs ask him for recommendations.

I really hate to be talking about these possibilities when we should still be rejoicing in the great performance of the GREAT Danes this season. I'm personnaly put further speculation of Will's future on hold. I want to revel in the moment a while longer.

Keep in mind that other schools now know who Will Brown is and you can bet that Jim Calhoun will be talking up Will Brown when ADs of other programs ask him for recommendations. 

I really hate to be talking about these possibilities when we should still be rejoicing in the great performance of the GREAT Danes this season.  I'm personnaly put further speculation of Will's future on hold.  I want to revel in the moment a while longer.

13338[/snapback]

IMHO I can see Will being a lifer. Look at what the school has done with athletics over the last decade, everything from Volleyball to LAX the new football stadium and now UA Basketball. This university is investing allot of money and time into the athletic program and it’s starting to pay off. As they gain more national recognition you’ll see more donors, more ad money etc. This institution has some very big advantages; it’s a state school no different I believe then the likes of Ohio St. etc. Its academic program is growing by leaps and bounds with all the SemiTech and all the research grants etc. This will make them truly a multi faceted institution, one that people in this state will want to support. Will Brown is well aware of what’s going on here and the growth of the institution in all aspects and I think that he has as much to do with the success of the athletic program as any other coach or even the AD. I think he feels pride and looks at his job almost as a father figure who has shepherded this program and wants to make it into something special year in and year out. I heard him today on Wyland and I definitely think that we will see him at the RACC for at least the next 5-10 years. He just seems like a guy who really appreciates the opportunity. When Wyland asked him about his contract situation he stated that the university has been very good to him and loyal, and he let on that he is prepared to do likewise. Infect he stated several times that he is looking to be here for a long time. Not to mention that all he talked about was the future and next year and years to come. Doesn’t sound like a guy who is ready to jump on the next bigger contract to come around. If the RACC does a decent job of packing 3500 - 4000 people game in and game out this year. And close to selling out every game next year I can see them seriously considering either expending it or building a larger facility. If we are packing that many people into the RACC this would mean that the team is doing great, meaning that they are making decent money from tickets and with that many people coming to the game you’ll see an up tic of revenue. With more money coming in I can see them throwing more at Brown and him in turn feeling like this is his program and he stays. The gap between the majors and mid-majors is closing, look at the teams that are in the sweet 16. In my opinion there is more parity in the college basketball world then ever before. If the AE improves or the Danes move to a better conference I can see Will being a lifer. With that being said, there are allot of if’s here. We only had one GREAT season; it still remains to be seen if the University is committed to keeping this going, and if Will Brown is capable of sustaining this momentum. I wouldn’t bet against him.

Will's ties to LI are not as strong as they once were with his parents now living in the Albany area.  Parents with young children feel it is important for those kids to have a close relationship with their grandparents.  That's got to be a factor.  Of course, if a $1 million offer came from an ACC or Big East team, I wouldn't recommend against taking it.  You can put a nice addition onto the mansion for grandparents for that kind of mulah.

13325[/snapback]

acc OR BIG east ??...I don't think that is an option at this point. One nice season does not warrant that sort of promotion. After a few years of continued success I can see a move to a bigger mid - major progam perhaps. I would think a big time program is at least 5-7 years away and only if he continues to maintain excellence. I hope Brown keeps his commitment to not only having good athletes but good students and young role models. Many of the big time programs only care about the all Americans basketball players and not all American citizens.

It's all business.

If a bigger program wants Will Brown it will likely be a hard sell, but everything is for sale in this world - including college basketball coaches. Offers are made every day that can't be refused.

If Albany wants Will Brown to stay they should have him contractually committed, period.

Speculation about his family likes Albany, or what he said or didn't say, or ties to Long Island - all may be true, but a strong salesman from another school knows all about these feelings and statements and builds them into the sales strategy.

I too, hate the fact that this is an issue so soon after one of the greatest sporting events I ever attended. I suspect its going to turn out well, but until its done, its never done.

From today's Gazette :

Brown hopes to sign soon, but he's not holding up his busy schedule. He's recruiting in Pensacola tomorrow, meeting a recruit on campus Thursday, and at the Federation tournament in Glens Falls Friday.

"I would like to have it signed, sealed, and delivered by the end of next week".

"Too many people get caught up in the job openings...nobody gets contacted directly" - they call the AD for permission. Technically he's under contract until September.

"I've got great pride to be here, and I'm comfortable here, representing the university. I took the program when it was at rock-bottom, and I was able to build something as soon as possible. I want to make sure there is some stability, and I'm taking care to help this program grow"

McElroy: "A contract is already agreed upon, in principal...he wants to be here, and we want him here. We're just working through the details. As far as sticking points, there are none". Both sides have agreed to a multi-year deal.

Four years would be good. By then, if as Dane96 says we're in the CAA by then, that could by itself be the next move up (if his pay goes up along with it) for the next four years. That would take him to twelve years here, at which time either he goes to a BCS league, or becomes a lifer here like Sauers, or Jim Phelan at Mt. St. Mary's. If we don't go to a higher league then he could be gone after this next contract.

From today's Gazette :

Brown hopes to sign soon, but he's not holding up his busy schedule. He's recruiting in Pensacola tomorrow, meeting a recruit on campus Thursday, and at the Federation tournament in Glens Falls Friday.

"I would like to have it signed, sealed, and delivered by the end of next week".

"Too many people get caught up in the job openings...nobody gets contacted directly" - they call the AD for permission. Technically he's under contract until September.

"I've got great pride to be here, and I'm comfortable here, representing the university. I took the program when it was at rock-bottom, and I was able to build something as soon as possible. I want to make sure there is some stability, and I'm taking care to help this program grow"

McElroy: "A contract is already agreed upon, in principal...he wants to be here, and we want him here. We're just working through the details. As far as sticking points, there are none". Both sides have agreed to a multi-year deal.

Four years would be good. By then, if as Dane96 says we're in the CAA by then, that could by itself be the next move up (if his pay goes up along with it) for the next four years. That would take him to twelve years here, at which time either he goes to a BCS league, or becomes a lifer here like Sauers, or Jim Phelan at Mt. St. Mary's. If we don't go to a higher league then he could be gone after this next contract.

13356[/snapback]

The CAA....seems like a pretty good league...but right now I am cool with the AE.

The CAA....seems like a pretty good league...but right now I am cool with the AE.

13357[/snapback]

So am I, other than football the CAA does nothing for me over the AEast, and travel to away games is tougher, but there's not much question it's a higher-attendance, higher-paying league for basketball coaches.