UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Next Season's Lineup

I have no idea if Yocum would be red-shirted but if not, he may get some good minutes in certain situations. I watched him play on the ESPN game a few weeks back and what impressed me the most were his hands and his quick discision making. For those alone, he will get some minutes - if he is not red-shirted.

I guess Connelly is not a true center, but I can see him in the lineup w/Brent against certain AE teams that don't have true centers either. We were the exception in AE this year with a true big (>6'10") center.

Covington's foul trouble may force a number of players to rotate through that position. That said if Gifford (a freshman) is solid he could be the man.

Don't sell Yocum short. He is a legit 6' 8", with good skills and hoop IQ. He played with two all-American guards at Episcopal Academy, and is used to winning against high level competition. I'm not sure whether he will play as a 4 or 5, but he could get meaningful minutes next year.

Don't sell Yocum short. He is a legit 6' 8", with good skills and hoop IQ. He played with two all-American guards at Episcopal Academy, and is used to winning against high level competition. I'm not sure whether he will play as a 4 or 5, but he could get meaningful minutes next year.

13409[/snapback]

I wouldn’t sell Yocum short either. The guy plays with two All-Americans, how many touches/attention do you think he gets. I think he has been overshadowed by those two great players for a long time. If he was playing on any other team I think you would find more interest in him as he would have more opportunity’s to show his game. As it is, he puts up great number. Keep in mind that it’s against some of the best competition in the country at that level. I’m excited about him! Actually, truth be told. I think this will be the best incoming recruiting class in the history of this school. Look at Anderson, from what I can gather, he plays like Lillis but is much more offense minded (several 30+ point games). The JUCO transfer shoots like Iati, but better size and good experience. And Brett Gifford is Brett Gifford. I am not expecting him to be an immediate impact player, but I think he will be great by the time his career is over. We are having a discussion on who would you start next season. The great thing is that this team is CRAZY deep and experienced. Anyone you start you’ll get quality. How many teams in our conference can say that?

13409[/snapback]

Can we keep this up for 8 months?

I didn't sell him "short", I forgot him. Think about that for a minute. Two years ago would we (well me) have forgot, even for a minute, a 6'8" recruit.

Not that it makes much of a difference, but I've seen him listed at 6'9" instead of 6'8". He's definitely a tall kid from the couple of times I've seen him. While it's definitely not a starting line-up or even a regular rotation, imagine if we had Lillis (6'5"), Anderson (6'5"), Brent (6'8"), Yocum (6'9"), and Gifford (6'10"+) on the court all at the same time? Talk about size!!

One of the strengths of the team this year, especially after Lillis returned from his injury, was Will's ability to match up with what other teams were putting on the floor at any given point in the game. That was because of our depth. That depth and diversity of player sizes, quickness, height, etc. looks to be be even greater next year. I can't see many mismatches, if any.

But aren't we also trying to get Anderson PT to groom as the next PG? and do you think we'll be redshirting Yocum if he's not in your top 9 of the rotation?

(question to 66 & 96, not DP)

13403[/snapback]

It is my understanding that Anderson is a combo player: wing/forward. Basically a Lillis type of player who can shoot the lights out. If he is a PG, then that is news to me.

Yocum is an interesting question. I think he is going to be a solid player here in due time. Seeing him in person at the UA-UVM game I noticed, as others have mentioned, he does not look his size because he hunches over. I think he is going to play and I do not think he will red-shirt. I do think, however, his best years will be his JR and SR years....with the potential to be a very, very good player by year 4. As stated, great IQ, team player, and fantastic passing skills for a guy his size at our level.

I guess Connelly is not a true center, but I can see him in the lineup w/Brent against certain AE teams that don't have true centers either.  We were the exception in AE this year with a true big (>6'10") center. 

Covington's foul trouble may force a number of players to rotate through that position.  That said if Gifford (a freshman) is solid he could be the man.

13406[/snapback]

Covington's problem, as note, is his foul trouble. I think he too, by his last year, will be solid as long as Filien is around to get him tuned up. Covington is very similar to Lamont Middleton, formally of St. John's but prior to that, UHA. I think Lamont was a bit more athletic and had a very good offensive game.

Connelly and B. Wilson on the court at the same time create some serious matchup problems. Connelly is going to be a stud IMHO. The kid is active...likes to bang a bit...and though we have not seen it yet, was an offensive juggernaut in NJ. They are a good offset of each other (WIlson and COnnelly) and will thrive together.

For what it's worth I've heard Brown is very high on Gifford in fact earlier in the year I believe he said that Gifford could have the biggest impact of any kid he has recruited since Jamar's recruitment.

I would think that the center's position is his to lose.

We are going to have tremendous depth (there should be some real battles in practice) which makes every practice better and therefore the team should become very solid.