UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Final Mid-Majority Top 25 Poll

Hmmm....Manhattan won at Maryland in the NIT, but of course the Lesser Danes are better according to the rankings.

Oh wait, I forgot, Siena beat Albany and was up by nearly 20 at one point in the game. Doesn't matter though, because the rankings say otherwise.

P.S. Iona would have spanked Albany this year.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13894[/snapback]

Hmm, I'm not so sure about that. How you can come to your conclusion in the face of our performances agains far better teams than Iona is something that totally escapes me.

See my opinion about this year's Siena-UAlbany game on your board. Congratulations on your victory over us this year. Your team played harder than mine. However, I'll take a 21-point victory over you the previous year any time over a controversy-laden overtime victory this year.

saints73

Look - it's simple between UA & $iena

Who last went to the NCAAs?

Who last won a regular season Conference Championship?

Who last won their Conference Tourney?

Which team last played on National TV?

Everything else is just rhetoric

And boring, annoying rhetoric at that. How many ways can people dream up to say "my team is better than yours?"

Let it go. The weather is warming up outside, go out and take a walk. Or better yet catch a lacrosse game.

Patch, you forgot some other simplicities....

Who beat whom?

Which team did NOT beat a team with an RPI better than 150?

Which team plays in the second worst conference in the country?

Look, I think Albany had a great year and has a tremendous college player in Jamar Wilson. However, let's keep things in perspective. You will not hear me boasting about Siena's "close" 15 pt. loss to eventual National Champion Maryland in 2002.

Hmmm....Manhattan won at Maryland in the NIT, but of course the Lesser Danes are better according to the rankings.

Oh wait, I forgot, Siena beat Albany and was up by nearly 20 at one point in the game.  Doesn't matter though, because the rankings say otherwise.

13894[/snapback]

I live in Weschester. I went to Ione Prep. I watched Iona pretty much every time I had the chance. I have family that went there and root for Iona against anyone, except Albany. They were a better team this year (Burtt and Soliver are gone, what about next year?), but once you post that they would spank Albany you lose all credibility. Are you really a college basketball fan?

Anyway, I think what it really comes down to is that you are pissed off that Albany is going to be on your level (MAAC) sooner rather than later. What does Iona, Siena, Manhattan really have to offer that Albany can't? Albany is an up and coming team and you are pissed about it. Siena had some strong teams in the past and will continue to be a competitive team every year. Do you really think that Albany will never get to that level or beyond in the near future?

In response to Slickwilly.

Iona beat a Big 12 school on their home floor, nearly beat Kentucky, destroyed a MAC school in the Bracketbuster, and was beating LSU by 5 at halftime. They were a senior laden team and play in a better conference. UAlbany did not beat anyone of substance this year and plays in an inferior conference. So yes, I do follow college basketball and will stick by my original statement.

The question is, do you know anything about college basketball????

Iona beat a Big 12 school on their home floor, nearly beat Kentucky, destroyed a MAC school in the Bracketbuster, and was beating LSU by 5 at halftime.  They were a senior laden team and play in a better conference.  UAlbany did not beat anyone of substance this year and plays in an inferior conference.  So yes, I do follow college basketball and will stick by my original statement.

13913[/snapback]

Hold the phone...stop the presses and all that other good stuff, did I just hear a reference to "nearly beat Kentucky", and "beating LSU by 5 at halftime."

In the world of Siena, a loss is a loss is a loss, I thought those arguments hold no water, or do close losses only count if they help develop an argument for Siena?

Iona beat a Big 12 school on their home floor, nearly beat Kentucky, destroyed a MAC school in the Bracketbuster, and was beating LSU by 5 at halftime.  They were a senior laden team and play in a better conference.  UAlbany did not beat anyone of substance this year and plays in an inferior conference.  So yes, I do follow college basketball and will stick by my original statement.

13913[/snapback]

I already said that I thought Iona was a better team this year. I just think that if they played Albany it would have been a competitive game. Probably decided by 6-8 points in Iona's favor. I think of a spanking as a 15-20 point loss which I don't think would have been the case. Maybe if Burtt and Soliver were both on fire, which again is unlikely due to their streakiness.

Also, how about the fact that Siena beat Iona in their 2nd matchup last year. That must mean that Siena would have spanked Albany last year too. Oh wait, Siena played Albany and only won in OT. Hmmmm.....

I already said that I thought Iona was a better team this year. I just think that if they played Albany it would have been a competitive game. Probably decided by 6-8 points in Iona's favor. I think of a spanking as a 15-20 point loss which I don't think would have been the case. Maybe if Burtt and Soliver were both on fire, which again is unlikely due to their streakiness.

Also, how about the fact that Siena beat Iona in their 2nd matchup last year. That must mean that Siena would have spanked Albany last year too. Oh wait, Siena played Albany and only won in OT. Hmmmm.....

13919[/snapback]

No, you are correct Slick. Close only counts on this board. I just think that losing at Kentucky by ~4 pts. is more impressive than losing to UConn at a neutral site by 13 points.

BTW, When Siena played Albany, it was the Saints third game in 5 days. They were up by nearly 20 points in the second half but ran out of gas at the end. In overtime it was ALL Saints for those of us at the game.

What it Ione prep????

I usually stay out of these, but you must be kidding. Losing to Kentucky by 4 or UConn by 13. If Kentucky was Kentucky this year that may be the case. If it was in the NCAA tourney it may be the case. If (and they may have) they had a 12 point lead in front of 17K w/ 12 minutes to go. But come on.

Of course in the end a loss is a loss. Iona was very good but inconsistent at times. Loosing to Siena at home proves they weren't great. Loosing at home to Siena also proves that on any given night UA could at a minimum give them a run.

As for the 3 games in 5 days before the UA game, that's legit. But I've been trying to erase the joke of a no call at the end of that game. As for the 20 point lead, UA outscored Siena by, guess how many in the second half? 20, very good. Jamar makes 1 of 3 from the line and its 21 and a UA win. The call wasn't made, so it isn't the case.

I'll also add that if you had those two teams play in March I would have bet anyone any amount of money that UA wins the game. Coulda shoulda woulda. Didn't get it done. They will next year.

saints73

You're waisting your time over here trying to incite.

$iena the "Gold Standard" or Crown Jewel" of the MAAC has not won a Conference Regular Season Title in a season that has started in this CENTURY

Go back to your own board and revel about the way things use to be.

It seems to me that Albany has been on national TV more recently and has won Championships (Regular Season and AE Tourney) more recently and Oh Yes we've been to the Big Dance more recently.

Minor achievements by $iena standards, I'm sure, but enough to get people like you worried. You guys hang on every word out there about the.....

"GREAT DANES".

Not trying to incite anyone, just give you a reality check.

There is no point arguing who would have beat whom...honestly, UAlbany could have beaten Iona this year if they had played. However, if they played ten times; Iona wins 8 out of 10 in my opinion.

As far as the crown jewel of the MAAC...I think that title belongs to Manhattan the last 5 years as far as perfromance on the court.

With regards to UAlbany's TV appearances; let's face it, it's because they dominated a terrible conference and played in scheduled TV games for the conference champion.

Finally, UConnn was horrible in the NCAA tournament. Competitive game with Albany, very close with Kentucky, stolen game from Washington, and loss to a mid-major. Stop acting like UConn was the greatest team, because they were NOT.

Two more points if UConn had made in the last game it played, and it would have been in the Final Four. That's how bad UConn was.

And UAlbany would have played three of the four teams in the Final Four, and quite competitively, thank you very much.

You didn't play anyone in the Top Ten, nobody in the Top 20, and nobody in the Top 30, and your best opponent was Syracuse who whipped you on your court by 19. That's your game against your best opponent.

You're just angry and jealous that somebody else won the attention and acclaim of the Capital District. Get over it!

Boy, you are an OLD dog. Get your facts straight. Siena played the 'Cuse in the Carrier Dome this year.

I'm sorry who did Albany beat this year????

Siena beat a very good Holy Cross team, a decent A-10 team and won at Iona and Vermont (something your team has never done).

Gotta come with something better than that OLD Dog.