UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Attandance

The provision in the contract that no other college can use the arena two days before or after a Siena event is not all that exclusionary.

What we're missing in this scenario, I think, is the idea that every game Siena plays is a home game. That's not true. They should play only about half their total number of games during the regular season as home games. If Siena were to play one game per week at the Pepsi, which is correct on average during the course of a season, then that means there would be two days per week when UAlbany could play there.

My original point in this discussion is that it is not only extremely unusual for one team in a multi-year rivalry to be the home team all the time, but that it is therefore extremely unreasonable to the opponent to be the away team all the time. I don't understand why some people find that situation easy to swallow.

Personally, I think the two schools' AD's are far beyond the discussion going on here. I believe it may be one of the major factors why Siena and UAlbany are probing a multi-team tournament in the future, and maybe as early as this coming season.

According to ideas floating around the Capital District, UAlbany would host a couple games in this new tournament format. Perhaps one of them would be the Siena game.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, McElroy should negotiate a Home game at the PEPSI for UA or UA should not consider renewing when the contract when it is up and UA definitely should not partake of any proposed Tourney hosted at the PEPSI.

It's time for a home and home and if the the PEPSI is not available for UA then the game should be played at the RACC if the Siena faithful can't get seats at the RACC so be it.

The Siena game is great but we don't need to keep being subservient and watch only Siena profit from the game. It's just another example of UA being treated as a second class citizen.

Regardless of what Siena fans think we are their best drawing card and average of 9,780 over the last 3 years. I'm sure the PEPSI doesn't want to see that game walk away.

Edited by Patch

I personally enjoy the UAlbany -Siena game and want it to continue indefinitely. Let's be honest guys...it's a great rivalry and really packs the Pepsi. Who cares who the home team is? I hate to admit this, but UAlbany fans are louder irregardless of being seated in the corners of the arena.

Tony, you did make one mistake in an earlier post. Siena has already taken 4 out 5 so far and hopes to make it 5 out of 6 next year!

Gorvy,

Let’s not spin this into “UA is a bunch of chickens and they are gona walk away” I hope this series continues ‘till kingdom come.  The way I read your first sentence it’s like you are insinuating that we are even at all contemplating pulling out of this thing.  And then we’ll have to listen to Tony get all crazy and say stupid things like “You guys are just scared” or “we was gona make you our #itches but you got scared”

14053[/snapback]

Hey, who's spinning anything, I'm referring to UAlum and now Patch who said that they just want to build leverage to "walk away". And I see no one bothered to respond to my question: If you had the arena as your home base would you give it up to be the away team in a game? I think not, just admit it. You are getting a great deal being able to play in front of that many fans each year, just enjoy it. And don't think that we can't get other programs to come to the Pepsi and draw 10K, because we can and have done so in the past. So, it won't be a big deal to us if it's not worth it to you.

A 2 for 1 deal, you can't be serious. You guys have vast resources, why don't you just build your own on campus arena. Playing at the Pepsi isn't all its cracked up to be according to some of our own fans. If you had a bigger gym you could easily draw more than Siena and your program could better position itself for a possible Big East invite once conference re-alignment comes along. Just a suggestion.

JG

Gorvy,

Let’s not spin this into “UA is a bunch of chickens and they are gona walk away” I hope this series continues ‘till kingdom come.  The way I read your first sentence it’s like you are insinuating that we are even at all contemplating pulling out of this thing.  And then we’ll have to listen to Tony get all crazy and say stupid things like “You guys are just scared” or “we was gona make you our #itches but you got scared”

14053[/snapback]

Hey, who's spinning anything, I'm referring to UAlum and now Patch who said that they just want to build leverage to "walk away". And I see no one bothered to respond to my question: If you had the arena as your home base would you give it up to be the away team in a game? I think not, just admit it. You are getting a great deal being able to play in front of that many fans each year, just enjoy it. And don't think that we can't get other programs to come to the Pepsi and draw 10K, because we can and have done so in the past. So, it won't be a big deal to us if it's not worth it to you.

A 2 for 1 deal, you can't be serious. You guys have vast resources, why don't you just build your own on campus arena. Playing at the Pepsi isn't all its cracked up to be according to some of our own fans. If you had a bigger gym you could easily draw more than Siena and your program could better position itself for a possible Big East invite once conference re-alignment comes along. Just a suggestion.

JG

14066[/snapback]

Gorvy,

I would never give that up you are absolutely right. I’m also; I think one of the few Danes fans that doesn’t mind at all playing at the Pepsi. Unless of course we are not getting paid. How does the financing work, do we get to keep all of the money we make from UA fans or how does it work. If you are telling me that UA/Siena game you guys keep all the money, then that’s messed up and we are getting screwed. If on the other hand we are getting our money, then yeh we should continue having them only at the Pepsi, the RACC would severally limit the crowds.

If you had the arena as your home base would you give it up to be the away team in a game?  I think not, just admit it. 

14066[/snapback]

So now you're advocating the walk-away if the Aints don't get to be the home team every single game. Make up your mind bud.

There are certainly valid arguements on both sides. I think a 2 for 1 makes enough sense. We're the big crowd draw for the Aints each season..enough that we can make the Pepsi look something other than an empty cave, so it does make some sense to have the games there the majority of the time.

But having Loudonville HS as the gainers year in and year out from the game also doesn't make much sense. Having it at the RACC for an actual SELL-OUT crowd for a third of these games would be great for the rivarly..I think the Aints fans have kinda forgotten what an actual sell-out looks like, it'd be fun to show them. And it'd be a step in the right direction to having both teams actually benefit from the game.

Before we can even contemplate building a new arena or expending the existing RACC we need to sell out the RACC on a consistent basis. Right now what’s the point, we averaged only 2500+ and hopefully this year we will average 3000+. As great as this year and to some extent last year was this program is still a work in progress, let’s start selling out the RACC and then think about building/expending. Our credibility suffers when we sound completely irrational by suggesting that we should move the PEPSI any time soon, we just don’t have the fan base yet. I would much rather have an 8000+ seat arena 6 or 7 years from now on campus then go downtown to the PEPSI for every home game. I would also rather go to the Pepsi and scream my head off with 11000 other people then get only 4800+ into the RACC.....unless ofcourse we aren't getting any kind of money for the Pepsi game....if we aren't getting paid then :angry::angry:

Edited by bosiydid

Gorvy,

14053[/snapback]

JG

14066[/snapback]

Must be a lot of programs out there with Seniors from the Albany area that are big draws or do you actually think it was the impressive Siena college that drew Syracuse to the Knick during Forth's senior year. Also, I am sure there is nothing in the Albany-Loundonville deal preventing Loundonville from getting another opponent that could draw 10k for one of their other non conference games. Let me know when you get one of those games.

As Albany continues to improve this point will become moot. Our fans already are louder than Loundonville and were close in numbers at last years game. UA crowds have been increasing while Siena's have been decreasing. At some point we could outdraw Siena in their own building like Syracuse did a couple of years ago. Well not quite their own building since Loundonville doesn't have one but it certainly sounds better than saying at some point we could outdraw them in their rental property.

Before we can even contemplate building a new arena or expending the existing RACC we need to sell out the RACC on a consistent basis.  Right now what’s the point, we averaged only 2500+ and hopefully this year we will average 3000+.  As great as this year and to some extent last year was this program is still a work in progress, let’s start selling out the RACC and then think about building/expending. Our credibility suffers when we sound completely irrational by suggesting that we should move the PEPSI any time soon, we just don’t have the fan base yet.  I would much rather have an 8000+ seat arena 6 or 7 years from now on campus then go downtown to the PEPSI for every home game.  I would also rather go to the Pepsi and scream my head off with 11000 other people then get only 4800+ into the RACC.....unless ofcourse we aren't getting any kind of money for the Pepsi game....if we aren't getting paid then  :angry:  :angry:

14069[/snapback]

I don't think anyone is suggesting we move our home games to the Knick/to be renamed arena. I think the discussion is who should be the home team in the Albany-Loundonville game at the building rented from Albany county taxpayers. I certainly would not want to play our home games there at this time. Anyone who has been to both Albany and Siena games knows that 4,000 in the raac is a hell of a lot better than 4,000 in the Knick.

Not trying to take away from Siena and playing at the Pepsi, but I love the atmosphere at the RACC better. Yeah the Pepsi is more like an NBA arena but come on, the RACC is louder and more like a college basketball setting. Plus it is on campus, I can't believe Siena dosn't try to build there own facility on campus and take advantage off the space left after they disolved their football team. Another thing I like about the RACC is that no matter where you are, you can see everything going on, and it really can get rocking in there with 4,000 plus. Personally it feels more like a college basketball atmosphere. Also fans can rush the court in celebration and not be held back by security.

Sorry had to throw that in, still bitter from two years ago after the UA victory over the Aints wanted to the rush the court at the Pepsi. But didn't feel like being arrested two days before thanksgiving, hard to explain that to the family.

But anyways, as for the whole issue about Siena playing at the RACC and that we should get a home game at the Pepsi. I agree that the Pepsi is a better venue when your trying to accomediate both schools fan base. I'm glad to here that we are more loud then Siena fans. But realistically the Pepsi is Siena's home court, and they will always have the home court advantage regardless of what color our uniforms are.

I just hope that the money generated from the game would go to both schools equally. Also my biggest request would be to place the game during a time when both schools could both draw large crowds. This would benefit all as I believe correct me if I am wrong that the Siena UA game was the largest attendance for a Siena game this year at the Pepsi. Another thing which would be nice is to broadcast the game. Which I was surprised (correct me if I am wrong again) MSG, YES, or even TW3 didn't broadcast. In my opinion and I am sure others would agree its a game worthey of television.

Ok thats my two cents

Edited by B9j2j6s

B9j2j6s -

I don't think Siena or Albany home games should be televised by TW3 and certainly not the Albany Cup game. Get people to the games before you start putting home games on TV. If one of the local teams start selling out their venue, then start putting the home games on TV.

We need road games televised to create more interest and draw more fans to the arenas. I know this does not make financial sence for TW but that is what would be in the best interest of the local schools.

As for the Siena/Albany deal...it was a good deal for Albany when it was signed (compensation or no compensation). Local exposure is what we needed and Siena had little reason to give it to us. It has developed into a good draw for Siena and they have been competative games but I could see both teams having reasons to walk away from the next deal. As a fan I enjoy the game. I think most Siena fans would admit they enjoy the game as well.

I am curious if we look at other cross town rivalries, and their current and past contracts what we would find. UMASS/UCONN, Hartford/UCONN, UMBC/Towson, UMBC/Loyola, BU/BC, Northeastern/BC. Many if not all of these matchups do not happen each year. Overall from a fans perspective I think we have a good thing going. Even if it is not fair.

I understand the consternation of some people about Albany's seats at the Pepsi. If we're getting a fair shake financial that doesn't bother me too much. Playing one game down there per year is good to remind me how glad I am that we don't play all our games down there. If their fans are willing to pay two or three times more for their season tickets to see similar basketball (RPI-wise) than they can have their usual seats in that game.

It was informative that Albany only gets the money for tickets sold through the UA box office. We should keep that in mind when it comes to getting tickets next year.

The thing about Albany-Siena for the future is discussion about including them in this tournament to be held at the Pepsi. Am I just paranoid or can anyone else see Siena forcing us to buy some kind of tournament package to see that game instead of allowing us to buy single game tickets?

Edited by Dane Pound

In my opinion playing at the Pepsi is not a big deal. The time has come for this series to be home and home in alternating years.

It's just another road game when we need home games - 3/4,000 home fans at the RACC is more profitable to us then 9 or 10,000 fans at the Pepsi where Siena benefits.

As for this tourney concept its ridiculous if we're forced to play Siena at the Pepsi every year. They have the upper hand as far as dictating when and at what time.

We need to have as many home games as possible when students are on campus, we don't need to be helping Siena fill its budgetary needs. Do the teams in the MAAC play all their games at the Pepsi because it has more room then their on campus facility. They all play home and home.

It's one thing to have a Major pay you to play at their facility but it's a little silly for a team who over the last two seasons has a lower RPI dictating what's going to happen and benefitting from the game and have us walk away with basically nothing.

Our goal should be to continue to increase attendance at the RACC not at the Pepsi.