UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Siena takes a big hit

Bob,

I am not comparing Siena's success to the Yankee's success or Albany's to the Mets' success but on a MUCH MUCH lesser level of Siena/Yankees accomplishments over the level of the Mets/Albany accomplishments.

To be fair Siena/Yankees should have more success. They've been around longer for one (Siena to UA in D1) and lets face it Siena/Yankees have more advantages Yankees in payroll, Siena in arena/media/tradition.

Albany is closing the gap in the advantages though with their recent success. And they have football which Siena doesn't which is obviously a huge boost.

I wish Albany well I really do. It's going to be fun to have two really good teams that both should contend for their league titles and postseasons tournaments for years to come.

This town can have two successful D1 teams, no question about it.

Edited by MTS

To be fair Siena/Yankees should have more success. They've been around longer for one (Siena to UA in D1) and lets face it Siena/Yankees have more advantages Yankees in payroll, Siena in arena/media/tradition.

MTS

This is where I disagree with you. I don't see Siena's half empty arena as all that much of a factor. To continue in a baseball analogy, I see the Knick for Siena like the old municipal stadium in Cleveland. Way to big in most instances. In Cleveland's case except when the Yankees come to town. In Siena's case except when Albany or a major BSC team like Syracuse comes to town. Like Cleveland, it is my opinion that Siena would be better served with an on campus arena that seats maybe 7 or 8 thousand.

Also, while you have been D1 longer, Albany has a good tradition at D3 and has made great strides in D1 in a short time.

As far as your media advantage, that has already started to change or did you not watch March madness. The coverage was everywhere. Point is Albany success this past March awoke the media that there is a another team deserving coverage. If Albany continues to win, the coverage is not going to go away.

And like you mention the coverage of UA football, plus many of our other teams being worthy of coverage can only help Albany.

Good day

As a Yanker fan himself, bob doesn't recognize the biggest similarity between Bronx fans and Loudonville fans is their arrogant sense of entitlement in spite of their teams' not having lived up to their standards in this century.

bos.gif

Edited by UAalum72

As a Yanker fan himself, bob doesn't recognize the biggest similarity between Bronx fans and Loudonville fans is their arrogant sense of entitlement in spite of their teams' not having lived up to their standards in this century.

bos.gif

15034[/snapback]

Incorrect, I am not a Yankee Fan. I am a Met fan who has a Mr. Met pin on one of my many Albany hats and I have worn my UA shirts to many Met games. In addition I posted the following on Siena OOC schedule thread on June 4th. "Except The Yankees have what 26 World championships and Siena has how many. and if we are talking league championships the Yankees have 39 to Siena's 3. The only similarity Siena has with the Yankees is the arrogance of some of the fans. Given the number of championships the Yankees have won you could almost understand it in their case."

When I say that Siena and the Yankees have nothing in common, I am talking about the historical success of the team. The Yankees have by far the most AL championships. In the time Siena is in the MAAC, Siena has by far the most MAAC Championships. I think NOT. They are behind at least 2 MAAC schools in NCAA appearances. And it is not like Siena dominated the league they were in before the MAAC. The league now known as America East.

Personally, I love it that the Yankees have not won this century and I think as a Met and UA fan, I appreciate the success of my team more than a Siena or Yankee fan with that sense of entitlement does.

But, I have to give the Yankees credit for the championships they have bought.

Lastly I guess you missed my quote on the news after the AE championship game when I said something to the effect that UA's first basketball NCAA appearance felt like the Giants winning the superbowl and the Mets winning the World Series all rolled into one.

Edited by bob87

Mensah wants to transfer out of Siena

Jeff Goodman / FOXSports.com

Posted: 19 hours ago   

Kojo Mensah can't get out.

Siena's standout sophomore guard has asked for his release, but Saints coach Fran McCaffery refuses to let him transfer out of the program.

"This is not about Fran McCaffery," Mensah said. "I'm leaving because I want to play at a higher level." .......................

I wonder if Coach McCaffrey and the Siena administration will stick with this decision. I'm sure it will spread through the NYC area quickly and I wonder if it will affect further recruiting in that area?

If a kid wants out of a program I think he should be let go - if you think someone tampered - report them to the NCAA and give the kid a conditional release ( a release that will allow him to leave but not allow him to sign with certain school or schools).

I'm sure Kojo will ultimately get a release if he presses the issue if it is really not that important to him he'll stay and be a great player for the Saints.

Mensah wants to transfer out of Siena

Jeff Goodman / FOXSports.com

Posted: 19 hours ago    

Kojo Mensah can't get out.

Siena's standout sophomore guard has asked for his release, but Saints coach Fran McCaffery refuses to let him transfer out of the program.

"This is not about Fran McCaffery," Mensah said. "I'm leaving because I want to play at a higher level." .......................

I wonder if Coach McCaffrey and the Siena administration will stick with this decision. I'm sure it will spread through the NYC area quickly and I wonder if it will affect further recruiting in that area?

If a kid wants out of a program I think he should be let go - if you think someone tampered - report them to the NCAA and give the kid a conditional release ( a release that will allow him to leave but not allow him to sign with certain school or schools).

I'm sure Kojo will ultimately get a release if he presses the issue if it is really not that important to him he'll stay and be a great player for the Saints.

15038[/snapback]

That does seem to be standard operating procedure over there. They did the same thing last year with the kid that wanted to go to Miami before they ultimately let him transfer. I agree that it would seem to be the "lesser or the 2 evils" from their standpoint to just let him transfer as compared to making a player who wants to leave stay. Can we say disgruntled player.

And I love all the talk out of the Siena camp that by leaving that means he is getting bad advice. Maybe the bad advice he received was to go to Siena in the first place. He had to know there was a good chance the coach who recruited him wasn't going to be there for 4 years. It has been quite some time since Siena has had the same coach for more than 4 or 5 years

I believe you can't lock the kid in for life ... he would just have to sit for two years instead of one if you don't give him the release. I could be wrong.

Trust me, Duquesne is not a "higher level" than Siena, though. The competition they play probably is, in some respects (their league), but he'd be walking into a great black hole in Pittsburgh. They'd be tied with St. Bonaventure if and when the A-10 school presidents got some balls and voted 2-4 teams out of that over-sized, bloated league.

I thought if you didn't give a player their release they can't accept a scholarship for the year they sit-out when they transfer. They can still go to another school academically but they can't get a basketball scholarship until the year is up.

I thought if you didn't give a player their release they can't accept a scholarship for the year they sit-out when they transfer. They can still go to another school academically but they can't get a basketball scholarship until the year is up.

15042[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure you're right there.

I believe you can't lock the kid in for life ... he would just have to sit for two years instead of one if you don't give him the release.  I could be wrong.

Trust me, Duquesne is not a "higher level" than Siena, though.  The competition they play probably is, in some respects (their league), but he'd be walking into a great black hole in Pittsburgh.  They'd be tied with St. Bonaventure if and when the A-10 school presidents got some balls and voted 2-4 teams out of that over-sized, bloated league.

15040[/snapback]

You are right, you can't lock the kid in for life. It is only one year if you transfer out of conference, and only some conferences have the two-year rule.

Duquesne is staling more than a few players. They stole James a little while back. They won't be horrible.