UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Women's Hoop Schedule Out

UNIVERSITY AT ALBANY ANNOUNCES 2006-07 WOMEN'S BASKETBALL SCHEDULE

Albany, N.Y. – University at Albany Vice President and Director of Athletics and Recreation Lee McElroy announced on Wednesday, Sept. 27 the school's women's basketball schedule for the 2006-07 season. The Great Danes, who have 10 letterwinners and four starters returning from last year's squad, are set to begin their sixth year as an America East Conference member.

A 16-game America East schedule starts on Jan. 4 against Binghamton. The season concludes with the America East Conference Tournament on March 8, 9, 10 and 11. Binghamton University's Events Center will host the entire postseason tournament.

The Great Danes begin their season on Friday, Nov. 10 when Atlantic 10 Conference opponent La Salle visits the Recreation and Convocation Center. UAlbany will also face the Patriot League's top two programs in Army (Dec. 3) and Holy Cross (Nov. 26) on its home floor. The Black Knights are coming off a 20-11 campaign and the school's first-ever NCAA Tournament appearance. Sacred Heart, the defending Northeast Conference champion with a school-record 26 wins, will also play at the RACC on Dec. 17. UAlbany has a 13-game home slate that also includes St. Bonaventure (Jan. 2), America East champion Hartford (Jan. 20) and conference-rival Binghamton on Feb. 3, the first half of this year's Big Purple Growl doubleheader.

The non-conference schedule is also highlighted by the program's first-ever meeting with a Big Ten Conference opponent. The Great Danes travel to Wisconsin on Dec. 10. UAlbany will also compete in the UCF Golden Knights Tournament, hosted by Central Florida in Orlando on Nov. 17-18. Bowling Green, a 2006 NCAA participant, and Fairleigh Dickinson are also in the field. The Great Danes will make a two-game state of Texas swing in late December against Sam Houston State (Dec. 28) and Lamar (Dec. 30).

The annual crosstown-rival meeting with Siena is slated for Wednesday, Nov. 15 at Pepsi Arena. The two teams will meet for the 11th time overall and fifth since the series was renewed on Nov. 27, 2001.

Sherri Mikus, who received last year's team MVP award, leads the cast of returnees in 2006-07. She averaged 8.6 points, 3.1 rebounds and 3.1 assists as a sophomore. Amanda Ward, a 5-foot-9 senior, scored at an 8.3 clip, while 6-foot forward Gia Sanders contributed 7.0 points and 6.0 rebounds and was the conference's top shot-blocker at 1.86 per game. Sophomore Joy Sterling had a solid first year as a collegian by averaging 4.6 points and a team-leading 6.3 rebounds. Kristin Higy, a 6-foot-1 forward who transferred from George Mason, is expected to provide immediate help. Head coach Trina Patterson, who is in her fifth year at the helm, has entire new staff of assistants this season.

2006-07 University at Albany Women's Basketball Schedule

November

10 (Fri.), La Salle, 7:00; 15 (Wed.), at Siena (Pepsi Arena), 7:00; 17 (Fri.), vs. Bowling Green^, 5:00; 18 (Sat.), vs. Central Florida or Fairleigh Dickinson^, 3:00 or 5:00; 21 (Tue.), at Virginia Commonwealth, 7:00; 26 (Sun.), Holy Cross, 2:00.

December

3 (Sun.), Army, 2:00; 6 (Wed.), at Buffalo, 7:00; 10 (Sun.), at Wisconsin, 2:30; 17 (Sun.), Sacred Heart, 2:00; 28 (Thu.), at Sam Houston State, 8:00; 30 (Sat.), at Lamar, 8:00.

January

2 (Tue.), St. Bonaventure, 7:00; 4 (Thu.), at Binghamton*, 7:00; 7 (Sun.), Maine*, 2:00; 10 (Wed.), UMBC*, 7:00; 14 (Sun.), at Boston U.*, 1:00; 17 (Wed.), Vermont*, 7:00; 20 (Sat.), Hartford*, 2:00; 27 (Sat.), at Stony Brook*, 2:00; 31 (Wed.), at New Hampshire*, 7:00.

February

3 (Sat.), Binghamton*, 5:00+; 6 (Tue.), at Maine*, 7:30; 10 (Sat.), at UMBC*, 7:00; 14 (Wed.), Boston U.*, 7:00; 17 (Sat.), at Hartford*, 2:00; 21 (Wed.), New Hampshire*, 7:00; 28 (Wed.), Stony Brook*, 7:00.

March

3 (Sat.), at Vermont*, 1:00; 8-11, America East Conference Tournament (Events Center, Vestal, N.Y.).

*America East Conference Opponent     ^UCF Golden Knights Tournament (Orlando, Fla.)

+Big Purple Growl     All Times Eastern

The women's schedule is a BEAR! However, if the returnees improve and Higy and the frosh deliver it is doable. A GREAT year for the fans!! Thirteen(13) home games for both the womens and mens programs plus AWAY games vs Siena. A lot of quality teams coming to the RACC. Glad we renewed our seasons tickets early. In the meantime GO COACH FORD----JUST SET YOUR SIGHTS FAR ABOVE CAYUGAS WATERS!!

where are you getting this stuff on Tanika man?

Charity Irminyura is suppose to be really really good. Higgy will be in and adds signifigant height. I am telling you, you will see a team like you havent seen in a while...they will be much improved.

Brittney McGee coming in made 43 3Pters her senior year, but made 128 attempts, thats a 34% avg. Here are her stats:

http://www.maxpreps.com/FanPages/Player.mx...22-fc94141fcc9e

Charity in feb was 45 percent, making 22 shots from 3pr. Martinson took a good number of 3pa last year when she was playing.

higgy and lindsay will give us tons of size inside...along with sanders inside game, i think we will have on of the best front court, inside games in the conference.

higgy and lindsay will give us tons of size inside...along with sanders inside game, i think we will have on of the best front court, inside games in the conference. - GD84

I love you excitement and I appreciate your insight into Women's Hoop but I now think you're smoking crack.

I do think the women's team will be improved but.....

1. Higy avg 9.1ppg in HS and 5.0ppg at G. Mason. I did hear she was probably one of the best players we had last year in practice.

2. Lyndsay avg round 6.3 ppg on a strong HS team.

3. Peterson and Tanacan are still unproven quantities. They both could have big upsides. I did see Tanacan on campus and it appears she is in better shape.

4. Sanders has shown talent.

I see nothing that says any of them can dominate and therefore they might be a solid group but to say...

i think we will have on of the best front court, inside games in the conference. - GD84

I hope your right but I think you have no solid basis for this assumption. If your right I'll start smokin what you do!!!!!!

By the way the link to McGees 3pfg stats aren't impressive.

No matter if we agree or disagree "It's a Great Day to be a Great Dane"

Yes, Tanika is listed on the roster but there is a note she will not play.

I do not think Martinson will be our three point threat. I just dont think she will see enough floor time to fill that roll.

any thoughts on a starting five?

I have

PG Mikus

SG Iromuanya

SF Sanders

PF Higy

C Tanacan (My bet for this years most improved player)

Ward being the first off the bench and an aggressive spark.

could be that coach starts a smaller line-up without atrue center as well.

But those are just my thoughts.

Higy to the center spot with Ward in as starter. They had a problem with scoring last year. They went 3 guard big time next year. Sanders is good enough down low with her defense (if not for a bad record, should have been Defensive Player of the Year in the Conference), and Higy is a solid starter spot at PF/C. Charity and Sterling I think are going to battle it out on and off to start the season to see who will get the bulk of the starts at SG, with the winner being a full time starter by VCU or Holy Cross.

First off the bench is Irminyura, giving to Sterling as she is the vet.

Ward is a different player when she is starting, all you have to do is look at her stats from last year to see it. She has to be in the starting line-up.

PG Mikus

SG Sterling

G Ward

SF Sanders

PF/C Higy

When they chose to go only two guards, which was 50/50 last year, it is a toss-up.