UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

2 Football players arrested

I heard on WROW this afternoon that two freshman football players (one from Georgia and one from Florida) were arrested today by University Police in connection with a rape that is alleged to have taken place on Saturday on Indian Quad. The WROW newsreader stated that the information was on one of the TV channels' web sites.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard on WROW this afternoon that two freshman football players (one from Georgia and one from Florida) were arrested today by University Police in connection with a rape  that is alleged to have taken place on Saturday on Indian Quad.  The WROW newsreader stated that the information was on one of the TV channels' web sites.

16839[/snapback]

WOW...that would be horrible...for both the AV and the boys.

The GA recruit was HIGHLY regarded.

Bob Murphy confirmed it as well. I mean what can the AD department do. After the Duke situation, they sat down with these teams and told them to stay away from it. Just a bad mistake by them, but you cant fault the AD in this.

I will leave everything to the law, and let that choose guilt or innocence...but what can you say

This letter was sent to students this afternoon:

Campus Safety Notification

To: University at Albany Student Community

From: Susan Herbst, Provost and Executive Vice President for

Academic Affairs

Date: October 16, 2006

Two University at Albany students were arrested this morning by

University at Albany police in connection with an alleged sexual assault

of a University student that reportedly took place on campus in a

residence hall early Sunday morning. The alleged victim was acquainted

with the accused.

The arrested students, both freshmen and members of the University at

Albany football team, are currently being held in the Albany County

jail. They have been suspended from the University and the football

team pending the outcome of the investigation.

The University's priority is to allow the university police to conduct a

full and thorough investigation in a timely manner. We are also offering

our support to this young woman and her extended circle of friends and

family. Section meetings are being held this evening on Indian and State

Quads to address issues of personal safety, emphasizing strategies for

the prevention of sexual assault.

As part of the University's ongoing prevention efforts regarding

acquaintance rape and sexual assault, I encourage each of you to please

take the following safety precautions:

* Recognize that using alcohol or drugs greatly increases your

risk of being involved in a sexual assault or other

regrettable sexual encounter.

* Avoid being separated from your friends. Be cautious about

accepting rides or invitations from people you don't know well.

* If possible, keep a cell phone handy in case of emergency.

Call 911 from on or off campus if you need assistance.

Use good judgment and common sense regarding your safety. Should you be

victimized, please call 911 as soon as possible. Please know, as well,

that the University has services available to assist victims of sexual

assault. For a coordinated response, call Christine Bouchard, Associate

Vice President for Student Success, at 956-8140 or the Counseling Center

at 442-5800.

--------

This is being reported by ESPN.com:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2628282

Geez, just a completely stupid act..obviously. They should be embarassed for themselves and for the negative press it has created for their school and their team.

In the most updated TU article online, it says they were charged with "first-degree rape of a victim who is incapable of consent by reason of being physically helpless." For those on this board who are more legally quailified than I am, what would be an example of that?..are we talking like a physical handicap or could it also include the size of the average 18 year-old female compared that that of a football player?

At least one likely possibility is that she was drunk/passed out or drugged, therefore unable to give her consent.

WNYT TV-13 report with video

Signs at the gym today were announcing 'Hazing and Harassment Avoidance Education Seminar' for coaches, trainers, and athletes to be held today and tomorrow

Geez, just a completely stupid act..obviously. They should be embarassed for themselves and for the negative press it has created for their school and their team.

In the most updated TU article online, it says they were charged with "first-degree rape of a victim who is incapable of consent by reason of being physically helpless." For those on this board who are more legally quailified than I am, what would be an example of that?..are we talking like a physical handicap or could it also include the size of the average 18 year-old female compared that that of a football player?

16846[/snapback]

From NYS Penal Code Sec. 130.00:

"5. "Mentally disabled" means that a person suffers from a mental disease or defect which renders him or her incapable of appraising the nature of his or her conduct.

6. "Mentally incapacitated" means that a person is rendered temporarily incapable of appraising or controlling his conduct owing to the influence of a narcotic or intoxicating substance administered to him without his consent, or to any other act committed upon him without his consent.

7. "Physically helpless" means that a person is unconscious or for any other reason is physically unable to communicate unwillingness to an act."

I have no background in Criminal Law besides first year criminal law. I'm in the tax area of law. I just cut and pasted from the statute itself. And I am only posting this in response to inform those who want to know.

Thanks for the info. Judging from the wording of the penal code, and the first step to be safe in the email that us students received this afternoon, it might be safe to say that the female could have been passed out (due to voluntary drugs/alcohol) during the incident?

Either or any way, this is horrible for anyone.

Everyone needs to take a deep breath and reserve judgment. We have a legal system for a reason. Let them sort this thing out. These men are presumed innocent at this point in our American judicial system. If they are guilty they get what they deserve. I really don't want to hear any over generalizations here. Collegiate athletes share their love of sport and nothing else. To often anti-collegiate sport activists latch onto a terrible story like this. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. What's with the recurring reference to the football team? Would the press have mentioned the students extra curricular activities if they were on the chess team??? No. Enough said.

Everyone needs to take a deep breath and reserve judgment.  We have a legal system for a reason.  Let them sort this thing out.  These men are presumed innocent at this point in our American judicial system.  If they are guilty they get what they deserve.  I really don't want to hear any over generalizations here.  Collegiate athletes share their love of sport and nothing else.  To often anti-collegiate sport activists latch onto a terrible story like this.  Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.  What's with the recurring reference to the football team?  Would the press have mentioned the students extra curricular activities if they were on the chess team???  No.  Enough said.

16852[/snapback]

exactly...couldnt have said it any better. Judging this issue is not for us.

I agree they should be considered innocent until proven guilty. Often times the media will sensationalize something like this and post that they are football players at a local college/university. I on the other hand look at this as purely a human tragedy and this shouldn’t carry more weight because they are football players. If this turns out to be true all involved will be forever negatively impacted due to bad judgment or lack of self restraint! It shouldn’t matter if the alleged rapist was a water polo player, basketball player or the grounds keeper at UA, it’s just sad that people are capable of such hennas acts against a fellow human being. Personally I’m disgusted that UA’s good name is being dragged through the mud but what are you gona do, other then applaud the actions of the administration in working with law enforcement to sort this out. Anyway you look at this nothing good can come of it.

Innocent until proven guilty I agree. If she lied then back in school and back on the team, but if anything inappropriate happened from groping to all out rape then I say throw them off and if appliciable in jail. Make an example right from the outset. These are the kind of athletes I don't want representing the University and community. These players know the rules going in, this is becoming a major problem within the NCAA and a hardline must be taken.

Edited by WCDBvoiceofUA