UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

RACC

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had the same thought, how can the TUC being a preeminent entertainment venue pull in 3.8 mil while we get 2.5 mil for an on campus arena?  Koodos to the AD for pulling this deal together.  By the way per LCC board we have no right to call it an "arena".

P.S. If I'm not mistaken we get to keep the 2.5 mil while LCC doesn't see a dime since the arena is owned by the county.

17174[/snapback]

We have a lot more of right to call it an arena than LCC has of calling themselves the area's premier sports team or the crown jewel of the maac or whatever else they have called themselves in the last couple of years. :):):)

As someone who doesn't like games at the Pepsi Arena this announcement is a pretty good statment of our intention to keep the majority of basketball games on campus. Aside from the publicity and of course, the money, that's another big plus of the renaming.

McElroy was on Dan Murphy's radio show at 3:30 (Murph had already claimed that HE came up with 'the CUE'). The money can't go to the football stadium, but toward the general athletic budget - those Iowa scholarships are more expensive than in-state ones. They're working on what to brand the RACC, as SEFCU Arena is a bit of a mouthful and not well-known outside the area.

The football stadium is in a 12-18 month period of study - Ford would like it where it is now, the preferred spot is on the Giants' practice fields near Western Ave., other on-campus spots are being studied - and quiet fund-raising. Actual construction is expected to take another 14-18 months after ground is broken.

Text of SEFCU memo to their employees:

Over the past ten years, SEFCU and the University at Albany have developed a long-standing relationship, collaborating on various educational, social, and community events that have enriched the lives of the UAlbany community and the entire Capital Region.

I am excited to let you know that today we are entering into a unique partnership with UAlbany that will guarantee SEFCU exclusive naming rights and an extensive promotional package that is a first of its kind for the University as well as our company. At 11:15 today, the school's Recreation and Convocation Center (currently known as the RACC) will be renamed the SEFCU Arena, and will be home to the UAlbany men's and women's basketball teams. As part of this 10-year partnership agreement, UAlbany will continue to expand the SEFCU Arena's role as a major venue for community and sporting events, and university activities. In addition to the many advertising and promotional benefits the credit union will receive, SEFCU members will also receive benefits from this partnership including advance ticket sales and discounts to select SEFCU Arena events.

For those of you who live in the Capital Region, you may have seen that News13 reported this last night and this morning a story appeared in the Times Union. Reporters from both media outlets were at the Arena last night when contractors were installing signs and that is how they broke the story. While we always try to let you know of news stories that affect SEFCU ahead of the media, this situation was beyond our control. Contractually, neither UAlbany or SEFCU could comment on this until today. As with all public announcements, if anyone from the Media contacts you regarding this, you must direct those calls to John DeCelle at 518-464-5336..

Again, this is an exciting time for our company as we continue to play a leading role in the communities we serve.

Thanks

They're working on what to brand the RACC, as SEFCU Arena is a bit of a mouthful and not well-known outside the area.

17193[/snapback]

I suppose they could call it "SEFCU Arena at the RACC," if the sponsorship only covers the main gym and not the whole building (which is the RACC).

I was a bit disappointed not to see Doc's name associated at all with the project, but I think his time will come, hopefully not posthumously.

S$

McElroy was on Dan Murphy's radio show at  3:30 (Murph had already claimed that HE came up with 'the CUE'). The money can't go to the football stadium, but toward the general athletic budget - those Iowa scholarships are more expensive than in-state ones. They're working on what to brand the RACC, as SEFCU Arena is a bit of a mouthful and not well-known outside the area.

The football stadium is in a 12-18 month period of study - Ford would like it where it is now, the preferred spot is on the Giants' practice fields near Western Ave., other on-campus spots are being studied - and quiet fund-raising. Actual construction is expected to take another 14-18 months after ground is broken.

17193[/snapback]

What a prick....Murphy....oh how I remember that day when he got laughed at by Hall......

HEY MURPH...for the record....the "CUE" was posted on this board before you talked about it.

I KNOW YOU READ THIS BOARD....YOU TOOL. I will be at the Bucknell game...we can speak of how much of a lackey you are.

I feel better now.

How about holding a contest to see who can come up witht he best nick name for the Arena.

I know they did that with the masscot a couple of years ago. Between the entire undergrad and grad body as well as the alumni, I'm sure we can come up with something good

(No disrespect to "CUE" ofcourse). This could be a fun way of getting people involved in a real decision that will stay with UAlbany athletics for a long time to come.

Archived