UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Next years preseason NIT

To me it is irrelevant if some Siena ticket holders will have to find new seats every other year. If they can't or choose not to go that is fine, they can watch at home. There have been other situations such as bowl games or NCAA tournaments where not all season ticket holders get their own seat.

As far as making feelings known to the Albany AD. It is my understanding that this is the last season of a 4 year basketball contract. My feelings have been communicated to the AD within the last 4 years that I expect a home game in the series when it is renewed. If it is not I will be disappointed and my opinion will be known to the appropriate people at the appropriate time for whatever it is worth.

Frankly, I don't really care if our home game in the Albany/LCC series is played at the raac or the Knick as long as we have the appropriate number of home games. In my opinion it is one thing to be the away team to Uconn , Syracuse, UCLA but to be an away team to LCC all the time when we have surpassed them is wrong. If the game is in the raac and some sienna fans can't get tickets or ticket prices are higher that is life just as if it is life that I couldn't get a ticket for one of LCC home games if they could actually fill your building.

I am sure the current contract made sense 4 years ago, but now renewing that contract would make no sense. It has to be on equal terms.

17423[/snapback]

Hey Bob, why don't you quit refering to Siena as "LCC."

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Hey Bob, why don't you quit refering to Siena as "LCC."

17430[/snapback]

Can't really answer that one. Just as UA seems to be appropriate abbreviation for Albany, LCC just seems to be an appropriate abbreviation for Loudonville/ Siena to me. Maybe you could ask Dane Pound to program in something for LCC for me in the same way sh*t = siena.

The Albany-Siena series is important to both schools. It has been and will be a huge fan draw for both schools. If memory serves me right(and it was a long time ago), in the late '50's and early 60's the teams alternated -- home team, ticket sale rights--when games were played at the Armory which for a time was the home court for both teams.

It is a problem for the AD's and adminstration to resolve. Personally, I don't care where I sit as long as we win!

My understanding is Albany gets to keep the revenue for all the tickets they sell through their athletic office ( am I wrong on that assumption? )

17424[/snapback]

But that means Albany gets no revenue from walkup, day-of-game sales. Are you trying to say that 100% of late sales are 'aints fans?

My understanding is Albany gets to keep the revenue for all the tickets they sell through their athletic office ( am I wrong on that assumption? )

17424[/snapback]

But that means Albany gets no revenue from walkup, day-of-game sales. Are you trying to say that 100% of late sales are 'aints fans?

17436[/snapback]

Even 100% of the early sales at the arena are not Indian/Saint fans. One of my friends who is big Albany fan (about 6"5") buys his seats from the Knick box office so that he can get one of the few rows in that building that has leg room.

Right now it's Siena's home game. We get tickets which we sell and keep the $. Oru AD will do the negotiation for the next contract, if there is one. Maybe we'll be home team, maybe we'll get more tickets ($). Maybe the series will go on hiatus. Whatever. It's probably better for our RPI to win "on the road". I'd just like to have Siena's 6500-7000 fans and UA to have 8000-8500 fans filling in the rest of the seats..... and UA winning the game, of course.

Right now it's Siena's home game.  We get tickets which we sell and keep the $.  Oru AD will do the negotiation for the next contract, if there is one.  Maybe we'll be home team, maybe we'll get more tickets ($).  Maybe the series will go on hiatus.  Whatever.  It's probably better for our RPI to win "on the road".  I'd just like to have Siena's 6500-7000 fans and UA to have 8000-8500 fans filling in the rest of the seats..... and UA winning the game, of course.

17440[/snapback]

If the contract is not renewed, good luck to Siena on finding another opponent who is going to play 4 out of 4 games in their building and who draws a minimum of 8,000 - 10,000 fans in the game instead of the Siena median crowd of 4,500. Obviously there is no such team.

It may be better for us to schedule teams like Bucknell for a home and home(over 2 yrs) than play 2 road games vs. Loudonville(over 2 years). That is the coaches and AD's call. I will continue to go to most home games and as many road games as possible regardless of the schedule.

A few points, I agree something could be done with the revenue portion of the game if Albany isn’t getting a fair share of the gate. And sure Bob you could play someone else and Siena could schedule another opponent and still get 6000 and in the long run what would it matter… according to you guys Albany is selling 3 or 4000 tickets so from a revenue POV it would be a wash for Siena. If Albany is selling 3000 or 4000 tickets Albany would lose revenue from canceling the game? Isn’t Albany median attendance under 2000? So from revenue POV the game should be a moneymaker for Albany

The thing about this game is it generates a tremendous about of “buzz” in the capital region. I’m not saying the game’s terms can’t be tweaked to make it more beneficial for Albany, but Siena fans are not going to be thrown out of their seats for a Siena game. I’m hoping Albany doesn’t make unreasonable demands, but if they do. The game will go on hiatus. And in the end if that happens both Siena and Albany basketball will be the losers

A few points, I agree something could be done with the revenue portion of the game if Albany isn’t getting a fair share of the gate.  And sure Bob you could play someone else and Siena could schedule another opponent and still get 6000 and in the long run what would it matter… according to you guys Albany is selling 3 or 4000 tickets so from a revenue POV it would be a wash for  Siena. If Albany is selling 3000 or 4000 tickets Albany would lose revenue from canceling the game? Isn’t Albany median attendance under 2000? So from revenue POV the game should be a moneymaker for Albany

The thing about this game is it generates a tremendous about of “buzz” in the capital region. I’m not saying the game’s terms can’t be tweaked to make it more beneficial for Albany, but Siena fans are not going to be thrown out of their seats for a Siena game.  I’m hoping Albany doesn’t make unreasonable demands,  but if they do. The game will go on hiatus. And in the end if that happens both Siena and Albany basketball will be the losers

17446[/snapback]

Tony

Obviously, I would like the game to continue. It does generate a good amount of buzz. Not anywhere close to the buzz around the NCAA of coarse. But, it should be continued on fair terms.

It would remain to be seen if Albany would lose any revenue if the game was not played. While there are at least 3000 or 4000 Albany fans in the building for the Siena game , I have no way of knowing how many are sold through Albany and it looks like ticket sales which were already higher than your number last year are now significantly higher.

Also, are you saying that 2 home games and 2 road games each in a 4 year period are unfair to Siena. There is not another team in the country that would agree to a 4 road game series with Siena and I think there is no reason Albany should in the next 4 years.

Obviously, in the next 4 years there should be 2 Siena home games and 2 Albany home games and then the AD's work out the sites of the games. You get your seat for 2 games and I get mine for 2 games just like any other series not involving a BCS team.

If not Siena can schedule another team to teams for that theoretical 4 games series where you think you could get 6,000 fans to in spite of the fact that 9 of last years 13 home games for Siena drew 4 thousand something. BTW, if that happens where would the games be played. Most likely 2 in the Knick and 2 at the other teams. So Siena get "their seats" for just 2 games.

Tony

Obviously, I would like the game to continue. It does generate a good amount of buzz. Not anywhere close to the buzz around the NCAA of coarse. But, it should be continued on fair terms.

It would remain to be seen if Albany would lose any revenue if the game was not played. While there are at least 3000 or 4000 Albany fans in the building for the Siena game , I have no way of knowing how many are sold through Albany and it looks like ticket sales which were already higher than your number last year are now significantly higher.

17452[/snapback]

Bob I don’t know the ticket break down either, for all we know Albany is getting more revenue for this game than any other regular season game. I am all for making sure Albany gets what its deserves from a gate perspective

Also, are you saying that 2 home games and 2 road games each in a 4 year period are unfair to Siena. There is not another team in the country that would agree to a 4 road game series with Siena and I think there is no reason Albany should in the next 4 years.

17452[/snapback]

If Albany is getting the revenue from 4000 ticket sales and all your fans get to see the game how do you figure it’s a road game for Albany?

Obviously, in the next 4 years there should be 2 Siena home games and 2 Albany home games and then the AD's work out the sites of the games. You get your seat for 2 games and I get mine for 2 games just like any other series not involving a BCS team.

17452[/snapback]

So basically what you are saying is what the games at the Sefcue where Albany can freeze out Siena fans who won’t be able to attend the game? Because that’s what would happen the Cue is nowhere large enough to handle the “gate” for that game

If not Siena can schedule another team to teams for that theoretical 4 games series where you think you could get 6,000 fans to in spite of the fact that 9 of last years 13 home games for Siena drew 4 thousand something. BTW, if that happens where would the games be played. Most likely 2 in the Knick and 2 at the other teams. So Siena get "their seats" for just 2 games.

17452[/snapback]

Please Bob lets be honest here, you want the game at the Sefcu for no other reason than to freeze out Siena fans. I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree here. Hopefully the Alb AD is more forward looking than you. Albany basically gets the home game each and every year by playing 2 miles from their campus… lets not pretend like you are traveling across country. The game is good for Both Siena and Ualb. And Albany would lose more than Siena by discontinuing the game. Like I said several times in this thread, I’m not against tweaking the terms of the contract to make sure it makes sense from a financial point of view for the Danes, but the Cue is not the answer for this series, and if Albany insists it is then the series is doomed to die

I don't like the attitude among Siena fans that if the series is continued AND if it is played at the Knick (Pepsi, TUC, whatever) AND if it is considered a UAlbany home game whereby UAlbany gets the seats that Siena fans normally get that Siena fans won't stand for it and walk away. Meanwhile, if that scenario doesn't occur that UAlbany fans get the leftovers for seats and don't like it, then too bad!

I personally think that Siena's AD will be much fairer about a new contract than the attitude that Siena fans currently have.

Nobody from Siena yet has provided us with the exact language of the current contract regarding the exclusivity clause. The best we've heard is that no other school can play a game in that arena within two OR three nights of a Siena game. Since it's supposed to be a legal contract, then I want to see the actual wording.

Nobody from Siena has been able to adequately explain why UAlbany played Syracuse a few years back in the same arena. I guess UAlbany's playing there wasn't so much of an obstacle.

Nobody from Siena wants to concede that current contracts are broken all the time when the two parties concerned agree to renegotiate some of the terms.

Nobody from Siena seems to want to compromise on each team alternating the site as a home and away game. Their fans don't have a problem with playing other schools - even newly-ordained Division I NJIT in a home-and-away series, but they insist that only they should be considered the home team in our series.

And then they wonder why we seem hostile to them.

Once again, I have confidence that somehow the AD's will figure out a solution equitable to both teams and will circumvent the Siena fan attitude.

The way the arena and court are set-up, it would be very strange for Siena to be the "away team" for a game at the Pepsi.  Changing from light to dark shirt colors is not a big deal, but placing Siena season ticket holders all over the arena would not fly.

17413[/snapback]

Siena is not going to be the away team in the Pepsi as long as Siena has the contract to play its home games at the Pepsi/TUC.

Why not? This is a county arena, and if it's Albany's home game, they get the priority for that night. What's so hard to understand that because Siena's the home team for the 15 games they contract for, they don't have to be the home team the other 350 nights a year?

Archived