UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Overall I think we had a decent season. Two great, program defining, wins (Delaware and Lehigh).

The thing that leaves a bad taste in my mouth is losing the games we should have won (Cornell, Fordham and definitly Stony Brook....Monmouth is a good team and I can't say we definitly should have beat them).

I'm sure most will agree that the major weakness was the offense. I hope the offseason focus is the devleopment of a QB that can play well enough to not lose games.

I'd love hear what others though before we get swept away in basketball season.

I echo your thoughts. Monmouth was very impressive on both sides of the ball. The Fordham loss was bad. One of my concerns is how many drives where we seem to stop ourselves with play calling. We have drives where we are running and never gain less than 4-5 yards and then throw a couple of incompletes to stop the drive. If they never stop your ground game, why help them out?

I am in LA and was not able to get to the game (sorry Dane 96) as I had planned but heard some via the internet. We were beaten by a better football team today. Our lack of production today on offense obviously hurt us. D had a let down for sure but give credit to a Monmouth team that is filled with 5th year Sr's. No excuses we were beaten by a team that should be in the 1AA playoffs IMHO.

SEASON OVERVIEW:

Offense struggled most of the season. QB play is a concern. I believe Bocanegra will be pushed in the offseason as well as camp in the spring and preseason by the Blasinsky kid. Both will play but I believe Bocanegra will be more of a slash type player going forward I said that early in the year but it did not come to fruition. Losing Brett Hall also hurt the O's chances. Next year we don't lose a lot on offense, 2 lineman and a rb. In closing for the offense it was either poor ball handling, interceptions, penalties or the O-line did not play consistent enough. Just the same they finished 7-4. In my mind I thought they would be 7-4 with losses to Delaware, Lehigh, and Monmouth. I also knew Monmouth was the team to beat in the NEC. I don't think we have ever lost 4 in a row to anyone.

Defense was the heart and soul of the season and probably will be again next season. They had only 2 lapses IMHO(Cornell and Monmouth). They lose Coleman(can't ever be replaced), Barksdale,Nueberger...(cant spell it) and I think Barnes. So they will have a great nucleous coming back on both sides of the ball next year. What is there to say other then they alone are responsible for a 7-4 record. They have the best D in the NEC. If our offense was on the same page we would be a 1AA playoff team.

Special teams is the best UA has ever had. That Fralicker kid is the best FG kicker UA has ever had. Wall with is punt blocks etc. If we were to beat Monmouth we would have needed special teams help but that did not occur.

7-4 is probably looked at as a successful season with as someone posted program defining wins at Delaware and Lehigh. Probably should have been 9-2. after two brutal seasons with a brutal schedule the staff has to feel better and probaly is quite optimistic about next season. We are so much better then Fordham and SBU it sickens me to think about it. If Monmouth goes to the 1AA playoffs SBU (UUUUGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!) will go to the GIC. FFFFFUUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKKK!!!!!!!

Does anyone have a clue what our out of conference schedule looks like next year?

I think we have Cornell again, but I don't know other than that. Delaware isn't until 2008.

I'd love to get a out of conference with Coastal Carolina! What a fun road trip that would be...nice alumni golf day in Myrtle Beach on friday and game on Saturday. Plus they are an up and coming IAA team that should be a playoff team this year.

I think OOC is as follows:

Fordham

Stony Brook

Colgate

???????

17539[/snapback]

All three are winnable games! I like it so far. Maybe the fourth will be an A10 team like UMASS????? That would help the strenght of schedule even though it will be a tough tough game.

I love the fact that playing Patriot League teams is no longer considered real "play up" games.

Monmouth....kicked our asses...period...end of story. They were much better than us today.

I am not going to harp on it (and I trust our staff) but the play calling left little to be desired. Additionally, the QB switch, and the end of that experiment, baffled me. I have said this before...we need the Frosh in there next year.

The D...played pretty bad in the first half. Boland was 17 of 19...mostly on short passes. Both Chrobak and Barksdale were frustrated...and it showed (Barksdales stupid penalty...and Chrobak should have been called for another unsportsman likes). I was very dissappointed with both of them, not in the playing dept...but attitude. THAT IS NOT HOW UA ACTS!!!

We should be much better next year...we are very young, however it was a shame to go out on that note, especially after what we accomplished this year.

That being said....we are babies to this level...and we did accomplish so much this year. HATS OFF TO THE DANES...and HATS OFF TO FORD and his staff for continuing their tireless efforts to build a solid I-AA playoff caliber team.

Hats off to Monmouth as well...they played fantastic football today...and their fans get kudos as well!!!

Good luck to them in the Gridiron Classic!!!!

Attendance averaged 3,115 this year, up almost 600 from last. Would have been a couple hundred more if the weather had been better for Wagner. Let's see if this will be the first year basketball averages more than football (last year was almost even).

Attendance averaged 3,115 this year, up almost 600 from last. Would have been a couple hundred more if the weather had been better for Wagner. Let's see if this will be the first year basketball averages more than football (last year was almost even).

17557[/snapback]

That said, the attendance for the Monmouth game was listed as something like 1300 :o And half of them seemed to be Monmouth fans.

This for a conference championship game, on a beautiful November day, and students get in at no cost. Plus I seem to recall there was extensive newspaper advertising in the TU.

Meanwhile the D-III RPI v Union game draws better than 4000.

There seems to be a problem here, and its not the team, coach, or publicity. So is our current "stadium" that much of a deterrent? Or is there something else I'm missing ?

So because there was a big basketball game that night no one was interested in football. Hard to believe that.

Greater minds than mine must have some theories.

17557[/snapback]

That said, the attendance for the Monmouth game was listed as something like 1300 :o And half of them seemed to be Monmouth fans.

This for a conference championship game, on a beautiful November day, and students get in at no cost. Plus I seem to recall there was extensive newspaper advertising in the TU.

Meanwhile the D-III RPI v Union game draws better than 4000.

There seems to be a problem here, and its not the team, coach, or publicity. So is our current "stadium" that much of a deterrent? Or is there something else I'm missing ?

So because there was a big basketball game that night no one was interested in football. Hard to believe that.

Greater minds than mine must have some theories.

17565[/snapback]

I am a firm believer that our current "bleachers" hurt our attendance. We always get a good turnout for the first homegame and homecoming. Fordham game: 5207; St Francis (HC): 5964.

I think we get a lot of community support the first game and then a lot of those people don't come back because the horrendous facilities. Lets face it...2000 of those 5207 cannot see. The concessions are also bad which takes away from the family atmosphere.

Homecoming is of course the big game of the year. However, I think we could get a lot more alumni coming back if they had a nice place to go to.

Usually stadiums draw fans to games....our "bleachers" keep fans away.

I think if we built a stadium that seats 10,000 we could average 8,000 a game. Stony Brook went from averaging somewhere around 1500 a game to over 6,500 per game after they built a stadium.

Archived