UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Just a crazy idea

B9j2j6s,

I found ST solution of UA keeping 100% road games in the Siena series, but throwing us a few extra tickets to be insulting. ST "My guess is Siena ups Albany’s allotment for the game from 1500 to 2500 or 3000 tickets"

He is entitled to his opinion as I am mine. I also found his rational as to why you can't have a fair series to be weak and others here like Big D, olddog71,danefan and Danepound also offered solutions to any of the issues.

I also stated reasons and he resorted to name calling.

I agree with you that this game should be once a year and I agree that hopefully this game will help the team later in the season to hopefully make the NCAA's.

I will be at 7 of the next 8 games over the next month and am looking forward to hopefully seeing the team continue to improve.

18193[/snapback]

SienaTony's solution to the inequitable contract is unfair to UAlbany for more reasons than you state:

There are two more basic problems with his "solution."

1) According to his solution, UAlbany continually will be the away team since, according to him, we always have to play the games at the downtown arena and his team will always have a lock on all college basketball games played in that arena. This setup is patently unfair to UAlbany. Last year, Pomeroy, among other basketball websites, automatically gave home teams a certain point advantage. I think for most games, the spread was around 4 points. In a series between close competitors, as we have been with Siena, that spread is critical to the eventual winner of the game. It's therefore no wonder that Siena has won 5 of the 6 games since the series was renewed. He does not address this issue whatsoever, besides the fact that NOBODY else in the country plays a series where one team is ALWAYS the home team.

(2) His "solution" also does not address the quality of seats UAlbany fans receive when we play our games downtown. Again, I have addressed this problem in an earlier post this afternoon. The situation by which we ALWAYS have the inferior seats is intolerable, and it cannot continue. Again, NOBODY else in the country has to forever put up with this situation.

I have much greater faith in the two athletic directors of the schools involved to find more equitable terms than I do in other people in this discussion. In the meantime, once again, I suggest that we continue to apply pressure on our own administration to address this inequitable contract. And it's imperative that we make our suggestions known now as the new renegotiations for the new contract may already be in the works.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey I agree that increasing our allotment from 1500 to maybe 3000 isn't as fair as making it equal which for most UA fans would be the ideal situation, but you got to look at it through both AD perspectives.

The Pepsi is Siena's home court and their AD has to be responsible to his patrons and the higher ups at the College. He is not going to want to give up 50% of the profits to arguable there largest attended game of the year, as well as piss his loyal fan base of season ticket holders by requiring them to move to a different seat for this game, I'm sure McElroy if he was in the same position wouldn't want to do it either.

On the flip UA should definitely be getting more of the profits from the game, I'm sure McElory realizes this and will push for more of a share of the profits, currently we are only getting (1500/11272) 13% est. of the profits.

Ultimately I'm sure everyone can agree that the renegotiations should result in a more equal sharing, and IMO the most ideal would be an equal revenue sharing of the total profits regardless of seat allotment. However there will still be the hardest issue for McElroy in getting quality seats for our season ticket holders, this could be the hardest part of renegotiations and the best solution I can think of for this would be for UA season ticket holders to get whatever seats remain in the middle of the court on the lower level after Siena has had attempted to sell there season tickets by a certain date figure after the first home game or something. (I know this probably a terrible idea and some may not like it but it’s the best I can think off at this time).

Yo Boys lets straighten a few things out… I threw one suggestion out I don’t make the decision. As for the home game crap and a close game… there is a reason why teams are awarded the 4 points, travel and fan support, so unless boarding a team bus for the 5 min trip to the Pepsi stresses Ualb players that point is moot the other factor being fan support… I have to think Albany had at least 4000 fans cheering them on last night, so once again that point is moot. So don’t hang on the pomroy and Sagrins award 4 points to the home team- both points are irrelevant in this discussion IMHO.

From this Siena fan POV the Sefcu arena is unacceptable, personally I’d rather kill the series than play there. Of course unless Albany gives Siena 3000 tickets to cover our season ticket holders

And from D’arg and Fran’s statements I think they feel the same way, but once again let me be clear I don’t speak for them , so take that with a grain of salt. My reasons for not wanting to play in the ‘Cue is no way Siena fans would have access to the event and you all know that. Unlike the current arrangement where the seats may not be ideal for Ualb fans but all Albany fans that want to see the event can go

I’m not a Siena decision maker. My decisions hold no weight. But if it was my decision. I’d up Ualb ticket allotment. To make the game more financially attractive to Ualb , in addition I’d make some sort of allotment so Albany season ticket holders get better seats, that can be accomplished without moving Siena fans. I agree its not fair having all the Alb fans in the nose bleed sections. Especially Albany season ticket holders, they should have a better view of the game. Siena has 3000 or so season ticket holders, there are more than 3000 good seats in the Pepsi. I’m guessing they could come up with 1500 good seats for Albany season ticket holders. And hey lets be clear there were plenty of casual Siena fans that ended up in the nose bleed section also

And hey that’s one suggestion, I’m sure the two AD’s can make an agreement if they really want to.

I’m all ears if you guys can come up with some creative solutions that isn’t

1) Freeze Siena fans out of the game by playing at the Cue

2) Throw Siena season ticket holders out of their seats

Again I don’t speak for anyone but myself, but IMHO neither of those solutions will work form a Siena POV

Have at it boys

Siena ticket holders should not be thrown out of their seats for HOME games, but Siena doesn't own the arena, so they aren't the home team 365 days of the year. I do not recall seeing Siena season ticket holder names engraved on the seats. They have maybe 14 or 15 dates per year where games are scheduled.

My proposal would make UAlbany the home team in alternate years. We would get all the prerequisites of the home team, including the choice seats, during the year in which we would be regarded as the home team. In those years you could continue to schedule your 14 or 15 home games. In those alternate years Siena would receive a large allotment of tickets, greater than the current 1500 tickets available to UAlbany.

This proposal is not rocket science. The current situation is certainly UNFAIR for UAlbany to have the worst seats in EVERY game we play between us. I don't know why you continue to see how unfair it is every year.

Having the home court advantage is NOT a moot point. Allowing your fans to scream in support IN FRONT OF YOU is a decided advantage, instead of hearing muted voices from the nose bleed sections. Perhaps the advantage in our situation is not worth 4 or 5 points, but it is worth something extra. Otherwise, you would not be arguing the point so vociferously.

Once again, the contract is up for renewal. Let's hope that both schools can come up with a deal that is equitable to both. It will take some effort on the part of both schools to do so.

To be honest I wasn't even thinking about the whole economics of putting on the game. 13% is just the total number of tickets UA potentially (1500) could have sold for last nights game and that’s what I based my profit percentage on. I'm also assuming that we sold out our tickets and the rest went to Siena again it was an est.

Hey I agree that increasing our allotment from 1500 to maybe 3000 isn't as fair as making it equal which for most UA fans would be the ideal situation, but you got to look at it through both AD perspectives. 

The Pepsi is Siena's home court and their AD has to be responsible to his patrons and the higher ups at the College.  He is not going to want to give up 50% of the profits to arguable there largest attended game of the year, as well as piss his loyal fan base of season ticket holders by requiring them to move to a different seat for this game, I'm sure McElroy if he was in the same position wouldn't want to do it either.

On the flip UA should definitely be getting more of the profits from the game, I'm sure McElory realizes this and will push for more of a share of the profits, currently we are only getting (1500/11272) 13% est. of the profits.

Ultimately I'm sure everyone can agree that the renegotiations should result in a more equal sharing, and IMO the most ideal would be an equal revenue sharing of the total profits regardless of seat allotment.  However there will still be the hardest issue for McElroy in getting quality seats for our season ticket holders, this could be the hardest part of renegotiations and the best solution I can think of for this would be for UA season ticket holders to get whatever seats remain in the middle of the court on the lower level after Siena has had attempted to sell there season tickets by a certain date figure after the first home game or something. (I know this probably a terrible idea and some may not like it but it’s the best I can think off at this time).

18196[/snapback]

B9j2j6s,

If you are talking money here that is preciously the reason both AD's have to come up with something fair on the next contract. Again over a 2 year period as is, Siena sells 11,000 and 11,000 seats to game(with some of the tixs going to UA) . The most logical replacement if they drop UA is a home and home ranging anywhere from Stanford(possible to get but difficult)to NJIT. That means he sells 14,000 if he is lucky and ZERO to 4,000 and ZERO. There is no way in the world that he gets someone else to play 2 games in the Knick AND draws 11,000 each game or even 8,000 to each game.

My proposal and others say that for giving Darg his largest crowd over a 2 year period(at higher prices than normal also) he has to give us a home game every other season. It shouldn't matter to Darg if Albany puts their home game on campus or uses the Knick, Darg is still better off than he is with virtually any other opponent. Now after that basic fact is realized, then talk about putting the UA game in the knick with the UA fans getting first dips on the tickets. If not cancel the series and go with the alternative.

Now, I understand why Tony does not want to acknowledge that, but I am not sure why I need to explain that again

To be honest I wasn't even thinking about the whole economics of putting on the game.  13% is just the total number of tickets UA potentially (1500) could have sold for last nights game and that’s what I based my profit percentage on.  I'm also assuming that we sold out our tickets and the rest went to Siena again it was an est.

18201[/snapback]

That is correct. We sold out our 1500 tickets without a problem.

This has dragged on long enough.  Let's just wait and see what gets negotiated.

18205[/snapback]

Agreed again the title of this thread was just a crazy idea and I think it had some constructive ideas raised, ultimately we don't have the power to negotiate so lets see what happens and look forward to Wednesday where we face as coach Brown said the second toughest team on our schedule.

This has dragged on long enough.  Let's just wait and see what gets negotiated.

18205[/snapback]

I respectfully disagree. Perhaps this issue doesn't affect you as much as it does me, so I resent your desire to end this topic prematurely. This thread hasn't even gone on to a third page.

Since last night's game is fresh in my mind and since the conditions under which I had to view it are also fresh, I would hope you would have a little more understanding for my viewpoint and those of others who have similar concerns.

I would also like to add that the terms of the contract that might affect the next few years of games between the two schools may be ongoing right now. I am also not naive enough to believe that comments expressed here don't have a possible effect on those negotiations.

I believe that I and others have valuable thoughts on this topic. You have the freedom not to look at posts on the topic; please don't deny us the right to discuss a matter that deeply concerns several of us.

I have kept quiet long enough. I had never witnessed a basketball game from the seats I had for the game (in the UA corner section) but I have been to so many games in that Arena....that those were about the ONLY seats I hadnt been in.

I even e-mailed some regarding my choice of seats prior to the game...because one in my party was a potential employer...and I need to set a good impression.

While I love my Albany brethren...it is time to say: CUT THE BITCHING.

Honestly....we sound like cry babies right now.

As someone who negotiates 5-100 million dollar contracts about once a week, I can say this with authority: NOTHING WE SAY ON THIS BOARD MATTERS in the negotiation. It will come down to basic economics. Siena and Albany fans can bitch and moan...even powerful ones....but in the end, only two men will wield any say and power.

However, it does make us look like a whiny bunch...

The seats I sat in were PERFECTLY FINE. The corner lower bowl seats were better than most arenas I have been in...and I have been in many. You can see the action just fine...and it was awesome to be in a section with people you knew: DANE FANS.

Fact is, D'Arge and McElroy will get this done. Furthermore, though inequitable...it was not inhospitable.

Let the two men earn their money...and let them set the terms. It is up to us to accept them.

Anyone bitching on this board about seats...I INVITE YOU TO FENWAY PARK....any time. Now those...are $ienaty seats. I would invite you to the upper deck (left field foul pole) of Yankee Stadium.

There are much worse things in life that each and every one of us have paid 18 bucks to suffer through.

TRUST ME....terms will change...but let us not look foolish to the visitors of this board. Bitterness will get us nowhere.

. . . However, it does make us look like a whiny bunch...

. . . Fact is, D'Arge and McElroy will get this done.  Furthermore, though inequitable...it was not inhospitable. 

Let the two men earn their money...and let them set the terms.  It is up to us to accept them.

Anyone bitching on this board about seats...I INVITE YOU TO FENWAY PARK....any time.  Now those...are $ienaty seats.  I would invite you to the upper deck (left field foul pole) of Yankee Stadium.

There are much worse things in life that each and every one of us have paid 18 bucks to suffer through.

TRUST ME....terms will change...but let us not look foolish to the visitors of this board.  Bitterness will get us nowhere.

18211[/snapback]

Sorry, Dane, I have to disagree with you on this point.

There's a basic long-term injustice here between the two teams.

Bitterness occurs when people fester on an issue for a long time and do nothing to resolve it.

In this situation, I plan to take action on my complaint and carry it to the people in authority. I can do no more on this issue. Whatever those in authority with our input is up to them. If I continue to complain after the new negotiations are done, then you can call me bitter. In the meantime, I will continue to do what little I can to remedy the situation, and the time to push this matter is NOW.

71 - It's not an injustice, it's what we agreed to. We were not in the same situation we were when the contract was signed. I'm putting my faith in the administration. I have no problem with you and oter fans making their suggestios on how to improve the UA fan's situation. I assume we could walk and play someone else if we don't get a better deal. I think Siena would have more to lose financially than we would. Our athletic program's growth and performance has convinced me that we're in good hands. Go Danes.

Archived