UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Game Thread: Brown

Will UA win or lose against Brown?  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Aight, I'm done moaning and groaning about the VCU loss, time to move on. Next game is against an Ivy league opponent Brown, this coming Saturday at 2pm. They will be coming in with a record of 3-6 and an early RPI of 237 or 185 depending where you look. We are at home on a Saturday so we should be able to get a decent crowd into the CUE.

In my opinion this is pretty close to a must win game, they must come out with the intensity and desire they had during the second half of the Bucknell game and/or Siena. Brown is not a push over team and if we sleep on them we'll be in trouble. Overall I think we are more talented, but this game will come down to who wants it more. They are not a big team, tallest player on the roster is 6'9 otherwise mostly guards, we've struggled against these types of teams because of poor perimeter defense.

I would like to see us come out with a chip on our shoulder and put the lumber to them, if they come out like they did in the second half of VCU it's gona be a long night. I expect a win, there has to be some pride on this team.

From BlueRibbon....

BACKCOURT: B-

BENCH/DEPTH: C

FRONTCOURT: A-

INTANGIBLES: C

Robinson's Princeton pedigree begs the question: How much of the fabled Princeton offense (or better yet, which variant of the Princeton offense) will be featured in Providence this year?

Again, that's an inquiry best left for October, when the coach finally has a grip on his implements.

"I've played a lot of basketball at a lot of places, Princeton being one of them," said Robinson, who ran the professional courts of England for two years. "And I certainly would use at least some of the things that I've learned in the past. That's not too much of a stretch for people to think we're going to do some things.

"But in regards to what exactly we're going to do, I don't even know yet. I don't know what kind of personnel I have. A lot is going to be dictated on the skill level and ability that the guys have."

Robinson's challenge is not dissimilar to what his predecessor, Miller, faces in his new play-Penn; a bevy of veteran players who may or may not buy into what the next coach is selling.

That said, a little Princeton-style deliberation would suit the Bears well. They were abysmal as a unit from the line (66 percent) and beyond the arc (28.1 percent) last season. Both marks ranked last in the Ivy League, contributing mightily to Brown's 59.7 points-per-game average.

"I want to see progress throughout the season," Robinson said. "That's what I want to see -- progress from the first days of workouts when school starts until the end of the season. I want every day to get better."

If that happens, Robinson's professional honeymoon in Providence could be quite extensive indeed.

Thoughts?

Sorry to be that guy, but this thread has to be one of my biggest pet peeve's...ask an A or B question and then ask for a Yes or No answer...either way couldn't help but to poke a little fun. Either way I vote YES, the danes will WIN, and that will always be my answer regardless of who we play!!!

I KNOW!!! Once I posted it I can't go back and change it. Obviously I didn't realize that the answers don't really relate to the question all that well. But once a poll is posted you can't edit it. It's driving me crazy, and makes me look like an uneducated foreigner. :P If anyone knows how to change a poll please let me know.

I KNOW!!! Once I posted it I can't go back and change it.  Obviously I didn't realize that the answers don't really relate to the question all that well.  But once a poll is posted you can't edit it.  It's driving me crazy, and makes me look like an uneducated foreigner.   :P If anyone knows how to change a poll please let me know.

18387[/snapback]

Dude, it is all right...I voted yes, I mean 'tie'.

A big win today. I was happy to see that Brent Wilson had a strong game and that Connolly continues to improve. How was attendance today? On the ESPN boxscore is had it at just under 1900. If we can beat Harvard this week back to .500 and in good shape come conference play!

Not a work of art but great to get the win. First guy off the bench was... Reid Anderson? I thought he played pretty well for his first extended minutes. Didn't realize Jamar had a double - double today 11 boards and 10 assists.

Crowd was pretty quiet today I thought.

I liked Reid Anderson alot in the inter-squad scrimmage but in early season games and very little playing time he looked tentative and over whelmed. Today was a complete turn around. He played in a game with tremendous pressure and did a very, very good job. Somewhere along the line he has been very well coached---he thinks where the pass is going beore he gets the ball, he doesn't pick up his dribble until he knows where the pass is going. Yeh, he had three turnovers BUT he also had 6 rebounds in limited time. It was good the coaching staff gave him a chance--and he did FINE!! This team still has some work, but with work I think they can be very good by tournament time BUT they must start working NOW! The league is much better this year.

Not a work of art but great to get the win. First guy off the bench was... Reid Anderson? I thought he played pretty well for his first extended minutes. Didn't realize Jamar had a double - double today 11 boards and 10 assists.

Crowd was pretty quiet today I thought.

18400[/snapback]

I think it is an understatement to say that today's game was not pretty, but it is nice to see the team put one in the 'W' column. As for Brown, their press was effective, but their unforms were horrendous. Maybe the team would play with better results if they didn't look like a bunch of Mr. Hanky's (Singing turd from South Park) running around the court.

Also, can I please have a Carl Ross sighting? Right when I thought Carl would be the first player off the bench, it is Reid Anderson. I think I will get a 'Free Carl Ross' tee-shirt printed for Saturday's game.

The Times-Union stories state that Carl Ross was sat for the Brown game because he was being a "little bit overaggressive."

The same report claims that Reid Anderson earned his playing time through practice, with the following quote:

"Reid's hungry. He's bringing it every day in practice, and until our guys on the bench force me to play them, I'm going to go with the guys who play the hardest," Brown said. "For a young kid to get thrown to the wolves right away who hasn't played a whole lot, I was just hoping he wasn't going to pass out when I called his name."

It looks like Carl Ross has the desire, but he must be treading a fine line with the coaching staff regarding energy and contribution. This is one of the story lines that should be interesting to watch during the season.

I have a gut feeling that Carl Ross may follow the same path as Jason Siggers last year, i.e., come on strong later in the season once he feels comfortable in Will's system. I seem to recall Siggers getting some playing time early last year and making mistakes by trying to do too much by himself. He then sat most of the time until his late season breakout. Ross is just too good of an athlete not to have some impact on this program at some point, hopefully sooner than later.

Archived