UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Raffa

Apparently this game was rescheduled as a result of the recent storm (was originally sceduled 2/13).

Game #23, win over Buena; Raffa with 34.

WILDWOOD CATHOLIC 69, BUENA REGIONAL 49

Anthony Raffa scored a game-high 34 points and Scott Deweese added nine for the Crusaders.

Tim Bramble (14 points) and Mike Fountas (10) led Buena.

Wildwood Catholic 11 17 25 16 — 69

Buena Regional 6 19 11 13 — 49

W — Raffa 15 2-2 34, Haaf 3 0-0 6, Hindelang 1 3-4 5, Kelly 0 1-2 1, Deweese 4 1-1 9, Flynn 2 0-0 4, Garriott 1 2-2 4, Mangold 0 2-2 2, Rogers 1 2-2 4. Totals: 24 19-21 69.

B — Bramble 6 2-4 14, Jackson 0 1-2 1, Fountas 2 4-6 10, Peterson 0 4-4 4, Ney 3 3-3 9, Hickman 3 0-2 6, Melton 1 0-0 2, Patel 1 0-0 3. Totals: 16 14-21 49.

3-Pointers — Raffa (2) WC; Patel, Fountas (2) BR.

RECORDS — Wildwood Catholic, Buena Regional 4-18.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last update, this one regarding upcoming games and tournament:

"Wildwood Catholic is the defending South Jersey Non-Public B champion. The Crusaders hope games like Saturday's will help them prepare for this year's tournament, which starts Feb. 26."

"Wildwood Catholic faces another test next Sunday when it meets defending state Group II champion Haddonfield at Cherry Hill East."

Sounds like Raffa went bezerk last night in a loss. Raffa scores 47 bit Catholic loses - Press of Atlantic City

Also:

Among the Best

NORTH WILDWOOD — Anthony Raffa, a Wildwood Catholic High School senior, is among 54 high school students from the greater Philadelphia Region recognized as being among the finest basketball players through their nomination to the 2007 McDonald’s All American high school basketball teams. The players rank among the top 2,500 high school basketball players, competing to fill 24 positions on both a boys and girls team. The final team roster will be announced on Feb. 24.

I found this web-page that has listed the tournament pairings for the "Boy's Bracket", and I am assuming it refers to basketball, but I cannot find confirmation.

I cannot think which other sport would use a tournament bracket in the winter, but my disclaimer is now out there:

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/109...07-1296642.html

Wildwood Catholic is South Jersy Non-Public B.

I haven't seen anything Haggy. I'm still trying to figure out how Raffa scored 47 points while shooting 88 % from the field. That almost doesn't seem possible.

That was one heck of a performance. I realize that Iati has been a strong contributor to the program for years, and that Raffa's Wildwood Catholic is in "South Jersey Non-Public B", but after his consistent production all season it is easy to believe that he may get a good amount of starts as a freshman.

As for last night's game, still no word. However, the post-season tournament starts Monday night.

Apparently the season finale was a win for Raffa's team, as the following lists them at 18-8 (however, still no box score):

Brief preview for the tourney:

S.J. Non-Public B

Top seed: Gloucester Catholic

South Jersey favorite: Wildwood Catholic

State favorite: St. Anthony of Jersey City

Wildwood Catholic (3)

Record: 18-8

First game: 7 p.m. Friday vs. Bishop Eustace (6)

Guard Anthony Raffa averages 30.4 points, but the Crusaders need substantial contributions from Clark Hindelang and Pat Kelly to defend their South Jersey title. Bishop Eustace and potential semifinal opponent Cardinal McCarrick with high-scoring guard Vince Rosario (22.8 ppg) are formidable opponents.

I'll be looking forward to seeing him play next year. Wildwood's coach says he can go 32 minutes just as hard as the first - thankfully he won't have to go 40+ like young Mr Iati did just a short time ago. My - how far we have come in such a short time.

Hard to see how somebody who scores as much as Raffa does is "not a great shooter" . I don't care if he wants to "try to make the game more interesting with my spin moves, my quickness up the court, with some of my passes" as long as he keeps in mind "It's all about getting wins"

Archived