UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Raffa

Hard to see how somebody who scores as much as Raffa does is "not a great shooter" . I don't care if he wants to "try to make the game more interesting with my spin moves, my quickness up the court, with some of my passes" as long as he keeps in mind "It's all about getting wins"

Coach Brown does prefer a deliberate offense, with ball movement, crisp passes, screens, and looking for the open shot. From what we are reading about Raffa, it looks like Coach will have to reel Raffa in a bit because Raffa will run up and down the court with reckless abandon and in Division 1, he will turn the ball over a lot. We have seen Brown pull Jamar over for a word when he gets out of control so Raffa will have to learn to slow down and run a half-court offense.

For those of you old-timers, Doc Sauers always insisted on a slow deliberate offense looking for the best and highest percentage shot. Back in the early to mid 80's, he recruited a guard named Dan Croutier( 5'7" if that much) who loved to run and gun up and down the court. Many a time, Doc had to reel him in and get him to slow things down and play UA basketball. He learned (with alot of yelling by Sauers) and is still the all-time assists leader with over 600.

Lets hope Raffa listens well and improves his jump shot which is critical in the half-court. It will be exciting to watch because we have to replace 33 points a game with Jamar and Jason gone.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe the pace next year will be decided by how well we rebound the basketball.

It seems both Raffa and Tim Ambrose excel in a fast paced game. If we see marked improvement in our rebounding I wouldn't be surprised to see a more uptempo game.

Remeber I'm pretty sure when at Sullivan CC Brown's teams were some of the top scoring JC teams in the nation.

Should be interesting.

I believe the pace next year will be decided by how well we rebound the basketball.

It seems both Raffa and Tim Ambrose excel in a fast paced game. If we see marked improvement in our rebounding I wouldn't be surprised to see a more uptempo game.

Remeber I'm pretty sure when at Sullivan CC Brown's teams were some of the top scoring JC teams in the nation.

Should be interesting.

I agree JC teams run alot and are very athletic but I don't see Coach going that route. Our rebounding this year is led by a 6'1" guard who will be gone. Our power forward is a perimeter shooter and the Covington/Gifford tandem is very unproven. As for Raffa and Ambrose running down the court, the problem will be that Lillis, Brent, Covington/Gifford, will still be at the other end since they are not fleet afoot. I don't see Brown changing his philosophy just because of a couple of freshman. He will have veterans who excell at a slower pace and should not change their game. It will be interesting to say the least.

Though I tend to agree with you, nysteve661.

I find next season team's tempo interesting.

From everything I've read and heard...

Raffa is supposedly quick on quick and Ambrose is expected to be a freaky athlete( we may not miss Jamar's rebounding as much as we think), both like to attack.

Lillis is capable of getting out on the break (and rebound) as is Iati.

Iati, Brent and Billy Allen (?) should be great as trailers getting open looks from the three.

Carl Ross would be awesome in a running game, we would get to see some awesome dunks

The only hold up is how will we rebound??? That's a real big if right now.

We're losing Jamar and Siggers and replacing them with two players who might not be nearly as good in the half court set.

Brown seems very comfortable at the current pace, we're 2nd in the conference in scoring now and 2nd in FG% so he may not feel a need to change our style.

Do you reshape the pegs or do you reshape the holes or do you just try to jam the pegs into the existing holes? We have almost a year to find out the answer.

Brown has brought UA so far that I trust his judgement and expertise alot more then mine but .....

If I bought a couple of fast cars I'm sure I would play around with breaking the speed limit everyonce in a while - atleast until my licence (our record) was threatened.

For now I'm hoping for 2 wins this weekend.

I'm with Patch on this one. We're not playing deliberately, when we do by choice, it's by necessity. If we get a good rebound and outlet, we run every chance we get. Not many coaches will bass up a fast break that's available, and our's are no exception.

You've got to coach in the situations you're in with the talent you have. If your team has a running combination, it might be used better in some games and instances than others. Its like making frequent late game substitutions - ball handlers, foul shooters, tall men. Better teams have the luxury of a more diversified look. I'm confident Coach Brown will develop more than one look depending on the combined talent he's got. I hope we are not a 'half court offense', or a 'running team'. If you can be either when its called for, that's better.

I am not 100% sure but I think I saw Raffa at the Albany vs SBU womens game last night. I think the mens practice started while the womens game was on. He was with two other athletes I didnt recognize. Like I said I am not sure but he was wearing a hoodie that said Catholic and I think he goes to Wildwood Catholic.

Wildwood Catholic 20-8 vs Gloucester Catholic 20-5 in ectional Final

Wildwood wins 60-55

Raffa goes for 36

Nice, nice, Patch.

I was going to wait until the morning for when the Atlantic City newspaper posts their story, but it is good to hear about this positive outcome before bedtime.

Archived