UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Danes at UMBC

Patch,

With all due respect I’m actually very calm. I’m usually hot headed in conversations of this nature but I really tried to articulate my thoughts in this discussion to the best of my abilities instead of just calling people names and making up baseless accusations. Something that you and 84 did not do; with that being said I will probably institute a rule for myself to not post 24-36 hours after a loss. This will prevent any real or perceived “negative” posts on my part and will also serve to not irritate my fellow Danes!

Peace

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boys.., Take it easy. I'm not going back through all your old posts to dig out your negative posts, but as you can see, it's not just me, or patch who see this trend. It doesn't help for you to then get antagonistic towards us. We feel you're being too critical toward the team members, and I guess you don't. Review some of your own posts and I think you might agree, at least a little bit.

Boys.., Take it easy. I'm not going back through all your old posts to dig out your negative posts, but as you can see, it's not just me, or patch who see this trend. It doesn't help for you to then get antagonistic towards us. We feel you're being too critical toward the team members, and I guess you don't. Review some of your own posts and I think you might agree, at least a little bit.

alum73,

I have said that at time I can be too critical, hence my self imposed 24-36 hour rule after a loss. I'm not so conceded to think that I'm the smartest and most knowledgeable poster on this board; many of the oldtimers have followed this team much longer then I have. But since no one was willing to engage me in the meat and potatoes of my post I'm led to believe that what I've said in my posts especially the clarifying post has some truth to it even though my delivery has obviously been questioned. I respect the opinion of others on this board and the criticism is duly noted. It just seems that some people actually gave at least the minimal of thought to what I said and other just pilled on while making up and attributing things to me that I never said. I'm fairly thick skinned and I realize that I can dish it out so I have no problem taking it when I deserve it but I take strong umbrage to being slandered. I'm also very grateful that you and Patch are concerned for my mental health in advising me to take it easy, as of right now I’m taking it easy!

Peace

This whole thing reminds me of a little controversy where an AE coach criticized the schedule that his team had to endure.

While his approach may not have been the most effective, neither was the response, and all parties involved consequently suffered (except arguably Bingo.)

I know I have never been a saint, so my opinion may not mean anything to any of you, but fundamental lines of free speech are always being challenged and redrawn, and I think that this board has a very active policing force in that respect.

None of this probably makes any sense, so Go Great Danes, and of course, Free Carl Ross.

As someone reading all this from afar, and objectively, I enjoy the passion - which results from all of us being 'fans' of the same team. Aren't vehement Yankee fans continually in disagreement over who starts and who sits? I'm amazed that Boys is being assaulted within the confines of this site.

I follow the Danes as closely as anyone can from long distance, which includes attending a game, listening to games, and watching the recent NH webcast. I've questioned the playing time that Iati's gotten this season, and frankly, I believe it contributed significantly to the Siena loss. That's not personal, its opinion. Suggesting that one player be given time over another is what fans do - its not demeaning or disrespectful. I haven't seen anyone imply that each guy isn't giving 100%. It's the coach's job to find the right combination and chemistry. As fans, we just give our opinions and I, for one, enjoy reading them. Go easy on each other, we're all on the same side.

I too would agree that some of Boys post are a little too critical, but no big deal. He's young (?) and competitive. I've been there.

After watching that game I was very critical of some play. In particular the defence. I don't think it is an effort thing. I think against Binghamton it was a mismatch. Iati gaurding Forbes for an extended period will never work. Forbes averaged 32 a game in NYC in HS, and played for 2 of the better JC's in the country. He scored 27 against Miami off the bench. How he ended up at BU at don't know. As my suggestions (not that I could coach a DI basketball program), the 2 guys I thought could give it a shot Siggers (ankle) and Ross (flu) weren't given that opportunity. Hopefully by the return trip everybody will be ready.

Here's to civil discussion on the board and a win in Baltimore.

from the timesunion blog -

*Junior guard Carl Ross came off the bench to provide some solid individual defense on Binghamton guard Richard Forbes, who otherwise went off for 25 points. But Brown indicated he’s not likely to give Ross, a strong perimeter defender, much more playing time tomorrow than the seven minutes he got against the Bearcats.

‘’Playing time is earned through practice,'’ Brown said. ”When Carl sticks to our principles and our gameplan, he’ll have an opportunity to get more minutes.'’

bosiydid,

I agree with some of the other posters who have recommended that you take a deep breath. I really mean that as good advice for you and for your personal health. I am not taking what you addressed to me as a personal attack whatsoever. I think you know that I like you as a poster; after all, we do even have some common ethnic background. You caught on to Dane fever and got hooked right away and passionately. I applaud that commitment on your part.

I am just a little concerned about some of the posts made here recently regarding our team, and I am not singling you out because a couple others have become negative as well. I'm asking that all posters just be a little more aware of the audience that reads this forum. I know that by calling on all of us to be a little more positive that I am treading the line here on censorship, where everybody can't just come here and vent his spleen as he would wish.

Sometimes I feel frustrated by what I see by the team this year, but then I catch up with myself. I realize, for one thing, that at certain times last season that I also felt frustrated and would wonder when my Danes would come around. Well, it happened, and as we all know, we celebrated the best season ever! Sometimes we just need to be patient.

As a Dane fan for almost 40 years (Where did all that time go?), I have learned to look more at the long view, and I see continued progress for this team and all athletic programs and the whole school, for that matter. Perhaps I have an advantage over you and some others in that regard. (There has to be some advantage to getting older.)

I also recall a quotation that Coach Brown made earlier this season, and it pertains to the idea that team members probably read this board, and they are adversely affected by negative comments made here. That idea motivates my feelings about my posting here more than any other factor, and I would like to remind all of us of this fact. I am sure that all of the team members who are going through rough times are very aware of their recent shortcomings and are diligently trying to overcome them. I'm not sure whether our astute but critical observations are helping our team members.

I hope you understand where I am coming from. Keep on posting, bosiydid. You have very valuable comments to make here, and I sincerely hope that your wishes for this team come to fruition this season.

from the timesunion blog -

*Junior guard Carl Ross came off the bench to provide some solid individual defense on Binghamton guard Richard Forbes, who otherwise went off for 25 points. But Brown indicated he’s not likely to give Ross, a strong perimeter defender, much more playing time tomorrow than the seven minutes he got against the Bearcats.

‘’Playing time is earned through practice,'’ Brown said. ”When Carl sticks to our principles and our gameplan, he’ll have an opportunity to get more minutes.'’

Why does it seem like Carl Ross is the only player that loses possible playing time by not entirely buying into the UAlbany system? As a West Coast kid, from a West Coast college, it should be understood that his adaptation may take more time. As long as his attitude is decent (an area where I know nothing), a learning curve should be expected, and he should not be held to a different standard. Anyways, I just want to see the man that Coach Brown has referred to as "an explosive athlete and a lock-down defender" get some playing time.

I accepted the flu as a reason for the diminished playing time, but then the most recent quote. Maybe this will never work itself out....

OldDog,

I'll say it again ......With all due respect I’m actually very calm. I’m usually hot headed in conversations of this nature but I really tried to articulate my thoughts in this discussion to the best of my abilities instead of just calling people names and making up baseless accusations. I think you and others most notably Patch and 84 have unfairly taken me to task on my opinions. While I understand your stance about never posting anything negative about this team come hell or high water, I think it unfair. This board first and foremost is for our enjoyment as fans and not for the benefit of players. If this board is to become nothing more then us patting each other on the back etc. and never really talking about this team then fine so be it. Now, in my opinion what I said was within limit and reason, I didn't threaten anyone or curse etc. I simply pointed out some negative observations only to be berated and humiliated and taken to task for my observation, pardon me but this smacks of where I came from. I don't intend to make this into a political rant etc. but most if not all were outraged that coach Brown was so harshly censored and then turned around and did what you said was so wrong in the first place. I have yet to hear any rebuttal of the points I made, where was I wrong in my observations and which part stirred all of this backlash against me. I've asked Patch and others to engage in civil discourse only to be further censored and told to "take a breath"! My breathing is just fine thank you, I know that you are of the opinion that I'm angry or frustrated etc. but I assure you I'm actually calm. I like you as a poster, I respect your opinion in regards to posting only positive comments but in my opinion for this board to be truly a place for information, discussion and and informed civil discourse all should be given a voice. It's akin to a major science journal or research institution or even our own government telling us that if you don't toe the line you will be censored or worse ridiculed and perhaps even banned. And to add insult to injury make up false accusations to discredit the minority opinion. I can see the outrage if I said something truly vile like I hope Iati breaks a leg and never plays or something truly stupid but I didn't. I wish you, the team, coaches and all of us here a great New Year and much success for our Great DANES.

I too would agree that some of Boys post are a little too critical, but no big deal. He's young (?) and competitive. I've been there.

After watching that game I was very critical of some play. In particular the defence. I don't think it is an effort thing. I think against Binghamton it was a mismatch. Iati gaurding Forbes for an extended period will never work. Forbes averaged 32 a game in NYC in HS, and played for 2 of the better JC's in the country. He scored 27 against Miami off the bench. How he ended up at BU at don't know. As my suggestions (not that I could coach a DI basketball program), the 2 guys I thought could give it a shot Siggers (ankle) and Ross (flu) weren't given that opportunity. Hopefully by the return trip everybody will be ready.

McFan,

You are right, I am fairly young (26) and ultracompatitive and passionate. Perhaps the ability to check oneself comes with age and this is simply a reflection of my maturity or lack of. I think you and OldDog benefit from the wisdom that comes with age. I applaud you for bringing some balance to this board as there are a number of us young guys who at times get a little nutty.

I'd also like to say that I think I've made my point as clear as possible in this thread and I'm done. Any further discussion here will only server irritate some further. Again, I'd like to wish everyone a Happy New Year and much success to our beloved team. I plan on intently listening to tomorrows game and cheering the Danes on. :rolleyes: anyone up for the live chat tomorrow?

Peace

bosiydid for "Pete Sake" stop the nonsense. You're going on and on about nothing.

Your posts are great and truthful with astute observations - OK.

Get onto something else!!!!

Do a follow up post and be overjoyed that you got the last word in - count it a victory and move onto to something more productive.

I think you have driven me off this site for good.

Good Night and Farewell.

Agreed McFan. I was so disappointed that I posted a negative post in-game for the first time EVER...for any sporting event. I agree we need to support our Danes, however there have been some negatives that are just plainly obvious...and the coaches have commented on them as well.

This team will pull it together.

Men are made in the face of adversity.

And anyone stating that Lillis needs to be off the floor is crazy. That kid is pure heart and energy. His only issue is confidence in himself. The kid is a 2nd team All-AE'r when he pulls the trigger and believes in himself. We believe in him and maybe he can take that to heart. HE IS SO DAMNED TALENTED...but too nice of a kid for his own good...in a purely basketball sense. I WOULD NEVER WANT HIM ON THE PINE...EVER...EVER.

And for the record...I used the word pathetic, which frankly WAS NOT UNCALLED FOR. From a coaching and playing perspective...our guys get lost on perimeter rotation on a regular basis. It is mind-boggling because we have talented and athletic kids. I will say this: Against Bucknell and Siena I expected it as they have some athleticsm we dont have. Against Bing...no sir. Harvard...no sir.

This is a glaring problem that I believe even Brown has commented on.

Other than that....let's support the boys......

bosiydid,

Can't we find some middle ground here?

You're right that this board cannot be censored from some of the inevitable things that come out of the UAlbany basketball. And I don't blame you entirely for your stance, considering your earlier background and where you originated. We don't want this board to be merely a sounding board for the team.

Some of us, however, don't like to see posts that are completely negative. That's not a realistic portrayal of how good the team is now. Despite our challenging OOC, we still have a winning record. I'm not sure if your recent posts, as well as those of others, reflect this reality.

We should realize, however, that the team is going through a very tough stretch with too many closely scheduled games and too many injuries, and I think we all need to step back and take these important factors into consideration when we judge this team. Do you think that your recent posts on the team's status accurately reflect this situation?

Archived