UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

The RACC/SEFCU

I thought they did a good job on the lobby. Concessions has gotten better with vendors in the crowd and a slightly expanded menu. RACC mprovements are included in the stadium plan., but I'm not sure a new pait job would bewoth the trouble. I'd like some scoreboards with the players numbers, PFs, and number of TOs left. I'd like all chairbacks on both sides. All of those things are expensive, but I don't think they need to rush into anything yet. I am very happy with the attendence for the 2 games while the students have been out. It's very encouraging for the program. I can remember 2-300+ crowds just a few years ago.

Your idea about an improved scoreboard is very valid. Even many high schools have boards that show fouls accumulated. "Why not us?"

It would be great to have more chairbacks at SEFCU. I think it might boost attendance enough to pay for itself substantially in future years.

I never bother with the concessions. Yes, the choices are greater now, and this step is a substantial improvment, but the long lines are not worth the wait. Perhaps when the stadium is built and the concession area is redesigned, the problem will take care of itself.

It's great that attendance is maintaining itself. The only lines I like in the building are the lines waiting for the men's bathroom. It shows a nice increase in interest it UAlbany basketball.

There are significant improvements to our program in the last few years, but we can make even more progress in the years ahead.

Having completed 9.5 years of full-time college education just a few years ago, I don't have a whole lot of money to donate to the program yet, so I have tried to do little things instead (hoping they add up in the agregate eventually, especially when others do the same), and I would encourage others to also do things like I do. For example, on game days, I make a point of eating light lunches or waiting until I get to the SEFCU to eat. Though those BBQ chicken sandwhiches could really use more sauce (other than that, they are great), I put down at least one a game (ketchup works well to moisten the sandwhich; I think they have sauce, but then they dry out from having been heated for awhile) and purchase several waters at whatever crazy price they are at. Of course, I also got season tickets and plan to continue that. I've also bought several merchandise items at the Arena, and I'll continue that practice as well. I'm sure there are many other ideas, but this is what I can think of off the top of my head as far as what I can do, along with others, to financially help the program when we have limited resources to do so.

I also try to take a look around the Arena and check out which sponsors have advertisements on display. I then make a point of eating at those restaurants and shop at those places of business! I would encourage other UAlbany fans to do the same and when they do so, tell the managers/workers of those places that that is why we are there!

I had been thinking about posting a thread about some improvements to the SEFCU that I would like to see as a casual fan, and I am glad to see one started.

Some of the suggestions that I had been working on include:

1.) The mini-scoreboards with the numbers, points, and fouls for the players on the court. I do not think this would cost too much, and I do not remember being in an NCAA arena that did not have this feature (maybe Boston University?). Anyways, I totally agree with the suggestion.

2.) Yellow arrows on the floor of the men's room that will hopefully entice more patrons to make the larger loop around the stalls. Unfortunately, not enough fans wash their hands, and there is a significant amount of doubling back in the line which causes jams and delays.

3.) I do not know about fire codes but it seems the southern corners of the SEFCU could easily hold two portable vending carts which could increase the revenue.

4.) Superficial, but I would like a redesign of the school emblem by the art department, or some outside source, that would include a drawing of the great dane. UAlbany is the only NCAA school with the great dane, but the athletic emblem only has the school name. For nice emblems (in my opinion), see UVM and Maine.

5.) Working off of #4, have the school place a HUGE likeness of the new great dane emblem on mid-court (a la the Kansas Jayhawk or the Georgia Tech Yellow Jacket, amongst others). I originally thought these designs were ostentatious or excessive, but now I think if the team is on national television again, the big dog drawing will make people remember UAlbany.

As for the parking, a right turn lane sounds pretty good.

As for the rest, does anyone have comments?

1. When I worked in private practice, I learned about how major vendors are attempting to purchase and donate scoreboards, for example, to school districts in exchange for a limited amount of advertising on that scoreboard. The legal issues that arose involve, inter alia, the conflict between a school district's autonomy and the State Educ. Dept.'s desire to keep corporate sponsorship out of the junior/high schools. Corporate vendors (i.e., softdrinks) routinely drop thousands and thousands of dollars and more on such scoreboards and other such items in exchange for advertising space. I have no idea how much they cost, but corporate sponsorship in exchange for advertising is a very real possibility from what I've learned. In fact, it is my understanding that the State Education Dept.'s desire to keep corporate advertising out of high schools and junior highs is a constant battle versus the willing corporate sponsors!

Colleges, though within the ambit of the laws and regulations of the State Education Department, are much less of a concern in terms of advertising than high schools and junior highs, and I would expect no difficulty from the State Educ. Dept., and the University Counsel, I'm sure, is more than capable of dealing with such issues.

2. Couldn't agree with you more on the bathroom idea.

3. Love the idea of vending carts or even, somehow, more seats --- perhaps in the form of an extension of the sideline seating sections (were they to need expansion by going to chairbacks, thereby taking up more space) so that we can fill up the corners with seats to give the Arena a more enclosed feel like other big-time venues.

4. I like are UAlbany design as is, but this is obviously a matter of personal taste, and opinions should always be accepted and even solicited on such matters!

5. I like your idea about a huge logo at center court. See SUNY Buffalo's Alumni Arena and their court for its big bull.

6. Additional Thought: Many of the old-timers may think this is silly, but how the arena is portrayed and displayed in college basketball video games is HUGELY important to many kids all across the land (and younger adults). I often play NCAA College Hoops 2K7 for XBOX 360, and I enjoy playing as UAlbany, but they have to update the uniforms, alter the arena slightly (like take out the upper deck ... lol), include our mascot in the game like other schools, and change the painting on the court. Some of these things couldn't be dealt with because changes were made after the game was released. Thousands of kids play these video games, and we all take note of the crowds and arenas portrayed in them. For those of you not in the gaming community, you would be AMAZED how how these new games reproduce arenas and other venues and how accurately! It's simply amazing!! Such digital reproduction of sporting venues is also wonderful advertising, though many of the adults (myself excluded) may be slow to catch on! In fact, I intend to somehow attempt to reach out to 2K sports and ask if I can submit pictures of the arena or help in some other way to assist them with the digital rendering of the arena for 2K hoops, 2008.

Check out http://2ksports.com/games/choops2k7/ (and watch the videos if anyone is so inclined!).

Having completed 9.5 years of full-time college education just a few years ago, I don't have a whole lot of money to donate to the program yet, so I have tried to do little things instead (hoping they add up in the agregate eventually, especially when others do the same), and I would encourage others to also do things like I do. For example, on game days, I make a point of eating light lunches or waiting until I get to the SEFCU to eat.

Unfortunately, I rarely buy concessions at the SEFCU as a result of gorging myself at the Varsity Club pre-games. As an alumnus, you should consider joining.

Also, per the guest policy, I am extending an invitation to you for tonight's pre-game party. 6PM, old gymnasium.

If interested, drop me a PM or something.

I had been thinking about posting a thread about some improvements to the SEFCU that I would like to see as a casual fan, and I am glad to see one started.

1.) The mini-scoreboards with the numbers, points, and fouls for the players on the court. I do not think this would cost too much, and I do not remember being in an NCAA arena that did not have this feature (maybe Boston University?). Anyways, I totally agree with the suggestion.

2.) Yellow arrows on the floor of the men's room that will hopefully entice more patrons to make the larger loop around the stalls. Unfortunately, not enough fans wash their hands, and there is a significant amount of doubling back in the line which causes jams and delays.

3.) I do not know about fire codes but it seems the southern corners of the SEFCU could easily hold two portable vending carts which could increase the revenue.

4.) Superficial, but I would like a redesign of the school emblem by the art department, or some outside source, that would include a drawing of the great dane. UAlbany is the only NCAA school with the great dane, but the athletic emblem only has the school name. For nice emblems (in my opinion), see UVM and Maine.

5.) Working off of #4, have the school place a HUGE likeness of the new great dane emblem on mid-court (a la the Kansas Jayhawk or the Georgia Tech Yellow Jacket, amongst others). I originally thought these designs were ostentatious or excessive, but now I think if the team is on national television again, the big dog drawing will make people remember UAlbany.

1. When I worked in private practice, I learned about how major vendors are attempting to purchase and donate scoreboards, for example, to school districts in exchange for a limited amount of advertising on that scoreboard. The legal issues that arose involve, inter alia, the conflict between a school district's autonomy and the State Educ. Dept.'s desire to keep corporate sponsorship out of the junior/high schools. Corporate vendors (i.e., softdrinks) routinely drop thousands and thousands of dollars and more on such scoreboards and other such items in exchange for advertising space. I have no idea how much they cost, but corporate sponsorship in exchange for advertising is a very real possibility from what I've learned. In fact, it is my understanding that the State Education Dept.'s desire to keep corporate advertising out of high schools and junior highs is a constant battle versus the willing corporate sponsors!

Colleges, though within the ambit of the laws and regulations of the State Education Department, are much less of a concern in terms of advertising than high schools and junior highs, and I would expect no difficulty from the State Educ. Dept. University Counsel, I'm sure, is more than capable of dealing with such issues.

3. Love the idea of vending carts or even, somehow, more seats --- perhaps in the form of an extension of the sideline seating sections (were they to need expansion by going to chairbacks, thereby taking up more space) so that we can fill up the corners with seats to give the Arena a more enclosed feel like other big-time venues.

4. I like are UAlbany design as is, but this is obviously a matter of personal taste, and opinions should always be accepted and even solicited on such matters!

5. I like your idea about a huge logo at center court. See SUNY Buffalo's Alumni Arena and their court for its big bull.

6. Additional Thought: Many of the old-timers may think this is silly, but how the arena is portrayed and displayed in college basketball video games is HUGELY important to many kids all across the land (and younger adults). I often play NCAA College Hoops 2K7 for XBOX 360, and I enjoy playing as UAlbany, but they have to update the uniforms, alter the arena slightly (like take out the upper deck ... lol), include our mascot in the game like other schools, and change the painting on the court. Some of these things couldn't be dealt with because changes were made after the game was released. Thousands of kids play these video games, and we all take note of the crowds and arenas portrayed in them. For those of you not in the gaming community, you would be AMAZED how how these new games reproduce arenas and other venues and how accurately! It's simply amazing!! Such digital reproduction of sporting venues is also wonderful advertising, though many of the adults (myself excluded) may be slow to catch on! In fact, I intend to somehow attempt to reach out to 2K sports and ask if I can submit pictures of the arena or help in some other way to assist them with the digital rendering of the arena for 2K hoops, 2008.

Check out http://2ksports.com/games/choops2k7/ (and watch the videos if anyone is so inclined!).

Also in relation to #6, I recently purchased NCAA March Madness 2007 for ps2. Came out on jan 18 or something. As you, I want to play with the UA. The arena was off. The uniforms were off. They had last years record listed as 13-15. The lineups were wrong. Missing three key Danes. And to top it off, they had rated Jamar a 68. Lowere than most majors 12th man. I mean c'mon. As for #5....No way do you need a giant logo at halfcourt. #1-4 I totally agree with. How do people feel about the Minerva logo?

why not just gut the RACC and setup the seating so its like a bowl

And what about the other athletic events that utilize the facility?

Basketball may be the signoature sport at UAlbany, but it is not the only one.

Those sports will have use of the "field house" that is included in the Athletic Facility Master plan. Ie: an indoor track, indoor practice facilities for outdoor sports, etc....

Thats faze 4 I think of the project.

Those sports will have use of the "field house" that is included in the Athletic Facility Master plan. Ie: an indoor track, indoor practice facilities for outdoor sports, etc....

So, until that time....no bowl seating.

Also, isn't it about time that the Athletics Master Plan 2010 had its moniker readjusted? 3 years for all those plans.....

Colleges, though within the ambit of the laws and regulations of the State Education Department, are much less of a concern in terms of advertising than high schools and junior highs, and I would expect no difficulty from the State Educ. Dept. University Counsel, I'm sure, is more than capable of dealing with such issues.

Also in relation to #6, I recently purchased NCAA March Madness 2007 for ps2. Came out on jan 18 or something. As you, I want to play with the UA. The arena was off. The uniforms were off. They had last years record listed as 13-15. The lineups were wrong. Missing three key Danes. And to top it off, they had rated Jamar a 68. Lowere than most majors 12th man. I mean c'mon. As for #5....No way do you need a giant logo at halfcourt. #1-4 I totally agree with. How do people feel about the Minerva logo?

On UAlbany in video games:

As far as NCAA March Madness, I've always bought EA Sports games, but 2k7 blows March Madness out of the water. I was so unhappy with EA's March Madness 2007 (I downloaded the demo from XBox Live and turned it off after one half of play). EA Games basketball series for the NBA --- NBA Live 2007 --- was scrapped for PS3 because it was so bad. Having played high school and college ball myself, I was never happy with hoops video games because I felt that they did make you feel like you were playing the game (i.e., play control). NCAA 2K7, however, is amazing; the play control is unreal, and it's a blast! I also like how you can change the player's ratings and names too! They have a name database, so they recognize all the player's names and then the announcers in the game say the names perfectly (i.e., they know how to pronounce Jon Iati, or Yocum, or Siggers). If you can download the demo to 2K7, I would encourage anyone to do so. For the record, the 82 out of a 100 rating for Jamar Wilson had to be changed to 100. And how can you not give Iati a 100 for 3-point shooting?? ;-)

So, until that time....no bowl seating.

Also, isn't it about time that the Athletics Master Plan 2010 had its moniker readjusted? 3 years for all those plans.....

:angry: very true, unfortunately.

why not just gut the RACC and setup the seating so its like a bowl

And what about the other athletic events that utilize the facility?

Basketball may be the signoature sport at UAlbany, but it is not the only one.

Very true, for example, the indoor track is in SEFCU, and I assume that the team practices in there or, at times, has indoor meets there. RPI has an interesting setup from what I can recall (this is going back to the 1990s when I ran meets there in high school): it appears, I think, as though the track goes under some of the seating or part of the building, so you feel like you're actually going in a tunnel. They could build seats in the corners of the SEFCU, but they would have to be raised so that people could still use the track. All and all, a large pain for a minimal gain in number of seats that wouldn't even be that good ... .

What is the athletics master plan of 2010?

Next time you are in the SEFCU lobby, turn to the glass case on the right side.

I know that these plans are not avidly publicized, maybe for fear of failure, but I still prefer the grass-roots idea where the community generates the buzz, and then the money comes. It could be argued that the buzz will result from a better product, but I still feel that this plan should be everywhere...forget the possible egg on the face.

Time for the counter-point...

What is the athletics master plan of 2010?

First seen in April of 2005

Master_Plan.jpg

The 'field house' is between Indian Quad and the gym, the football field is south of the SEFCU arena, the field hockey/lacrosse fields are already built.

and yes, RPI's track at '86 Gym runs behind the bleachers. I don't think ours is actually suitable for an indoor track meet, but it's ok for practice

Archived