UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Saints big test

Egg on my face?? Let's recap Bocedid. Snaggleship referred to SUNY as having a "division I-A" football program. He was correct to use the current classification (the meaningless vote in April to restructure the terminology has not happened yet), but incorrect in not realizing SUNY is division I-AA. I simply pointed out he was wrong. Where is the Egg?

On my face because it was a honest to God typo. If I did use the correct for now I-AA, would this whole debate have started. Somehow the far bigger error of my calling the dead Siena program D-III rather than I-AA, which I also realized, eluded everyone. I await the flames...

Going beyond basketball for a second, at least UA has a honest to God college radio station rather than a commercial radio wannabe that may, or may not, be under the influence of a local radio mougel/Siena alum/major donor.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
O my god, can't we lock this thread? Our mascot's better, our parking lot's bigger, yadda, yadda, yadda.

I don't know anyone who made a comment about parking lot size. I was the only person who made a comment about parking lots at all, so I guess that part of your comment was directed to me.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough, but my intent was to focus on the positive aspects of attending a game at SEFCU, and I was also comparing the experience with attending a game at the Times Union Center.

To tell you the truth, despite the allure of participating in a sporting event with 15,000 fans, I did not have a particularly great time at the Siena game. Seeing far fewer fans than I had expected was one big disappointment. Parking my car and paying $10 for my small space was another downer. Shelling out close to $20 per seat to sit in a very cramped space was another disadvantage.

I'd much rather attend any game at SEFCU. If you choose not to park in the SEFCU lot, your walking distance is about the same as at the TUC. My seat at SEFCU is far more comfortable, my sightlines are far superior, and I get all these advantages for a far more reasonable price.

If you're upset about the direction of this thread, just avoid it and humor us old fans.

O my god, can't we lock this thread? Our mascot's better, our parking lot's bigger, yadda, yadda, yadda.

I don't know anyone who made a comment about parking lot size. I was the only person who made a comment about parking lots at all, so I guess that part of your comment was directed to me.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough, but my intent was to focus on the positive aspects of attending a game at SEFCU, and I was also comparing the experience with attending a game at the Times Union Center.

No not at all. I thought I was bringing it up for the first time. I'm just tired of the bickering back and forth with one siena fan who wats to harp on their one sason highlight, beting us by 1 in 2OT. Let's just ignore him.

No not at all. I thought I was bringing it up for the first time. I'm just tired of the bickering back and forth with one siena fan who wats to harp on their one sason highlight, beting us by 1 in 2OT. Let's just ignore him.

geez--maybe now he'll brag about the BIG win over Iona.....................

omigod, I thought bob was going to get himself killed.

Siena hits after 2 misses to lead 61-60 with .5 left

I don't think we need to say anything. 'aints fans' comments will be entertaining enough

No need to worry about me. None of the 10,000 empty seats attacked me . Or was it 12,000 empty seats. Lets put it this way, I watched the first half upstairs with 3 co workers and 1 former co worker. 2 of them have season tickets, Why they have them upstairs is beyond me. We made up more than half the section at the beginning of the game. At half time, I saw someone I knew and told my co workers I was was moving downstairs and the 4 of them made up the whole section for the second half.

As far as the game, you guys already covered some of how bad it was. It looked like the worst basketball team in the nation vs. a team about its equal but every so slightly better. Has Siena even practiced since December. A game like tonight makes you really appreciate the improvement most teams show between early December and late January/Early February. By January most teams have integrated the new players into the team and 2 months of playing together shows.

BTW, for the record it was NOT the worst sporting event I every attended. At least this game ended within 2 hours and did not have 37 missed free throws like the $1 special of a couple of years ago.

I don't think we need to say anything. 'aints fans' comments will be entertaining enough

No need to worry about me. None of the 10,000 empty seats attacked me . Or was it 12,000 empty seats. Lets put it this way, I watched the first half upstairs with 3 co workers and 1 former co worker. 2 of them have season tickets, Why they have them upstairs is beyond me. We made up more than half the section at the beginning of the game. At half time, I saw someone I knew and told my co workers I was was moving downstairs and the 4 of them made up the whole section for the second half.

As far as the game, you guys already covered some of how bad it was. It looked like the worst basketball team in the nation vs. a team about its equal but every so slightly better. Has Siena even practiced since December. A game like tonight makes you really appreciate the improvement most teams show between early December and late January/Early February. By January most teams have integrated the new players into the team and 2 months of playing together shows.

BTW, for the record it was NOT the worst sporting event I every attended. At least this game ended within 2 hours and did not have 37 missed free throws like the $1 special of a couple of years ago.

WOW!!!! Reading this thread for the last 40 minutes has been some of the best entertainment I can remember. I think it's great. This is what a "cross-town" rivalry is all about - the fans. I graduated Albany in '03 and my Dad Siena in '71. We've had Siena season tickets all my life and my Dad has an infinite number of "State" stories. Although I admit that I root for Siena when they meet Albany, it's the only game I'll ever root against the Danes. I make it to the RACC (I have a hard time with "arena") for a few games every year. I'm proud of my degree and proud of UAlbany as a top-notch academic institution with the athletic department growing exponentially in terms of exposure and quality. Siena is also a great institution. I hope to have the opportunity to cheer on both programs come mid-March. Rather than look down upon each other, you guys should try and embrace the rivalry. We're lucky to have these programs and the passions they bring out in the fans and alumni - this is what college athletics is all about. Anyone that saw Adam Morrison collapse in tears at midcourt after Gonzaga's loss to UCLA in the Dance last year can attest to the emotions attached to college hoops - this includes the fans. When was the last time you saw an NBA player show such unbridled emotion. I'll take these two prorams and the ensuing rivalry over any professional franchise here in Albany 8 days a week. Good luck in March Danes.

WOW!!!! Reading this thread for the last 40 minutes has been some of the best entertainment I can remember. I think it's great. This is what a "cross-town" rivalry is all about - the fans. I graduated Albany in '03 and my Dad Siena in '71. We've had Siena season tickets all my life and my Dad has an infinite number of "State" stories. Although I admit that I root for Siena when they meet Albany, it's the only game I'll ever root against the Danes. I make it to the RACC (I have a hard time with "arena") for a few games every year. I'm proud of my degree and proud of UAlbany as a top-notch academic institution with the athletic department growing exponentially in terms of exposure and quality. Siena is also a great institution. I hope to have the opportunity to cheer on both programs come mid-March. Rather than look down upon each other, you guys should try and embrace the rivalry. We're lucky to have these programs and the passions they bring out in the fans and alumni - this is what college athletics is all about. Anyone that saw Adam Morrison collapse in tears at midcourt after Gonzaga's loss to UCLA in the Dance last year can attest to the emotions attached to college hoops - this includes the fans. When was the last time you saw an NBA player show such unbridled emotion. I'll take these two prorams and the ensuing rivalry over any professional franchise here in Albany 8 days a week. Good luck in March Danes.

sainttj: Went to UAlbany but cheer for Siena?? INFIDEL! (*just teasing*). On another note, amen to your point about the NBA and emotion. I saw Chris Webber play in one of his first games with the Pistons (and having grown up in Ann Arbor, I love U of M and the Pistons), but he and the Pistons repulsed me (did I mention I'm also a Knicks fan? Ditto ... .). He trotted around and put no effort in whatsoever. The screens those guys were setting were horrible. No passion at all. I can't even watch NBA games anymore ... .

Sacred Heart rules!

First of all, Sacred Heart was early in the season in an away game. Current RPI is still 155 - about middle of Division I pack.

Long live Buffalo (current RPI = 211), Loyola (current RPI = 195, who beat you on your SACRED ground), and Fairfield (current RPI = 250), plus Rider (current 173)! All of these sub-average teams beat you. Some of them are recent, painful losses.

How could a team that beat UAlbany on its own home court by a measley one point very early in the season now claim supremacy with losses to sub-par teams?

In five weeks Siena lockers will be full of dust.

Also, Siena fans here should take note of the fact that Buffalo beat Siena without Buffalo's top player (senior, 7'0", Yassin Idbihi). So Siena lost to a depleted Buffalo team in an arena that had no students (December 23 game). As far as Sacred Heart goes, aren't they doing reasonably well in their conference? They are 6-3 and in second place in the NEC. Grant it, the NEC isn't a mid-major conference, but at 28, it isn't that far off from the MAAC at 23.

The presence of Saints73 has all the markings of traitorship.

First, the subject reasserts his or her allegiance to the original cause.

Next, he or she establishes contact with the enemy.

Finally, he or she arrives at the realization that the enemy’s cause is more noble, or has a better chance of success, and then they ask to be accepted to the side that they once fought against.

I really cannot blame Siena fans for wanting to change allegiances. The future is very bright for UAlbany, while Siena’s future lacks direction.

I think Saints73 should be commended for being ahead of the curve regarding Siena defections, but I also have some advice:

First, in these situations, it is normal to be gracious to your new hosts so they do not doubt your allegiances.

Second, it is customary to offer to your new comrades something for their hospitality. So far nothing has been offered but muddled facts and name calling, and neither will help you to endear yourself to the respected leaders of the UAlbany cause. Unfortunately, there is nothing a Siena fan can offer a UAlbany fan that they can use to improve their conference, so you may have to be creative to find something.

I look forward to working with Saints73 to help build the UAlbany community, but first he must show more respect to his new cause, and then we must get him a new screen name.

With the state of Siena athletics, the defection rates to UAlbany will only increase. As intelligent and accepting fans we will be able to educate you on our growing program, and you will be pleased with your choice.

Saints73, you are a true pioneer. You will always be remembered as the first Siena fan to jump from the sinking ship. Congratulations.

Lol, he must prove his worth. A quest for the greater UA good, saints73 must seek.

Archived