UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Saints big test

omigod, I thought bob was going to get himself killed.

Siena hits after 2 misses to lead 61-60 with .5 left

I don't think we need to say anything. 'aints fans' comments will be entertaining enough

No need to worry about me. None of the 10,000 empty seats attacked me . Or was it 12,000 empty seats. Lets put it this way, I watched the first half upstairs with 3 co workers and 1 former co worker. 2 of them have season tickets, Why they have them upstairs is beyond me. We made up more than half the section at the beginning of the game. At half time, I saw someone I knew and told my co workers I was was moving downstairs and the 4 of them made up the whole section for the second half.

As far as the game, you guys already covered some of how bad it was. It looked like the worst basketball team in the nation vs. a team about its equal but every so slightly better. Has Siena even practiced since December. A game like tonight makes you really appreciate the improvement most teams show between early December and late January/Early February. By January most teams have integrated the new players into the team and 2 months of playing together shows.

BTW, for the record it was NOT the worst sporting event I every attended. At least this game ended within 2 hours and did not have 37 missed free throws like the $1 special of a couple of years ago.

WOW!!!! Reading this thread for the last 40 minutes has been some of the best entertainment I can remember. I think it's great. This is what a "cross-town" rivalry is all about - the fans. I graduated Albany in '03 and my Dad Siena in '71. We've had Siena season tickets all my life and my Dad has an infinite number of "State" stories. Although I admit that I root for Siena when they meet Albany, it's the only game I'll ever root against the Danes. I make it to the RACC (I have a hard time with "arena") for a few games every year. I'm proud of my degree and proud of UAlbany as a top-notch academic institution with the athletic department growing exponentially in terms of exposure and quality. Siena is also a great institution. I hope to have the opportunity to cheer on both programs come mid-March. Rather than look down upon each other, you guys should try and embrace the rivalry. We're lucky to have these programs and the passions they bring out in the fans and alumni - this is what college athletics is all about. Anyone that saw Adam Morrison collapse in tears at midcourt after Gonzaga's loss to UCLA in the Dance last year can attest to the emotions attached to college hoops - this includes the fans. When was the last time you saw an NBA player show such unbridled emotion. I'll take these two prorams and the ensuing rivalry over any professional franchise here in Albany 8 days a week. Good luck in March Danes.

sainttj: Went to UAlbany but cheer for Siena?? INFIDEL! (*just teasing*). On another note, amen to your point about the NBA and emotion. I saw Chris Webber play in one of his first games with the Pistons (and having grown up in Ann Arbor, I love U of M and the Pistons), but he and the Pistons repulsed me (did I mention I'm also a Knicks fan? Ditto ... .). He trotted around and put no effort in whatsoever. The screens those guys were setting were horrible. No passion at all. I can't even watch NBA games anymore ... .

I used to watch the NBA playoffs 3 years ago. I can't do it any more. I'd rather watch guys with a small fraction of their talent but have the heart of Carl Ross. He'll never be a success in the NBA (hell, he'll never get the chance to mop the floor of an NBA locker room) but he will be a success in the big game we call life. He already is. The intangibles he brings to the Danes are incalcuable. He is a bigger part of that team than anyone not on it can appreciate.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry, I can't be as charitable to Sainttj. You are a UAlbany alumni but your heart is with Siena? When Albany plays Siena you root for your daddy's alma mater? Time to get your lips off the teat, my man. All your platitudes about the great competition and the area has a great rivalry are just fluff. You can't be a Yankee fan and a Met fan. And you certainly can't be a Dane and an 'aint fan.

My father came from Poland, but that doesn't mean I don't root for the USA in the Olympics.

God, I hope you're right UA. I'd hate to think that my alma mater wasted a sheepskin on a guy with allegience so repulsively misplaced.

The problem is, he's not the only one. I know of others. In those shadow years when we were still at D III or II and Loudenville was making mild headlines, I know others who let themselves stray. But this guy, this Sainttj, has no excuse> He graduated after UAlbany's move to D I. He sits among Dane fans at our place, singing the new cheer and all, seemingly fitting in, but then slinks out the door in his green and gold skirt and sits on his father's knee at the Pepsi during the big game. He's living a lie. Frankly, we don't need that kind of fan.

Its not what I learned at Albany and I'm sure its not what you learned. I can't trust him.

omigod, I thought bob was going to get himself killed.

Siena hits after 2 misses to lead 61-60 with .5 left

I don't think we need to say anything. 'aints fans' comments will be entertaining enough

No need to worry about me. None of the 10,000 empty seats attacked me . Or was it 12,000 empty seats. Lets put it this way, I watched the first half upstairs with 3 co workers and 1 former co worker. 2 of them have season tickets, Why they have them upstairs is beyond me. We made up more than half the section at the beginning of the game. At half time, I saw someone I knew and told my co workers I was was moving downstairs and the 4 of them made up the whole section for the second half.

As far as the game, you guys already covered some of how bad it was. It looked like the worst basketball team in the nation vs. a team about its equal but every so slightly better. Has Siena even practiced since December. A game like tonight makes you really appreciate the improvement most teams show between early December and late January/Early February. By January most teams have integrated the new players into the team and 2 months of playing together shows.

BTW, for the record it was NOT the worst sporting event I every attended. At least this game ended within 2 hours and did not have 37 missed free throws like the $1 special of a couple of years ago.

WOW!!!! Reading this thread for the last 40 minutes has been some of the best entertainment I can remember. I think it's great. This is what a "cross-town" rivalry is all about - the fans. I graduated Albany in '03 and my Dad Siena in '71. We've had Siena season tickets all my life and my Dad has an infinite number of "State" stories. Although I admit that I root for Siena when they meet Albany, it's the only game I'll ever root against the Danes. I make it to the RACC (I have a hard time with "arena") for a few games every year. I'm proud of my degree and proud of UAlbany as a top-notch academic institution with the athletic department growing exponentially in terms of exposure and quality. Siena is also a great institution. I hope to have the opportunity to cheer on both programs come mid-March. Rather than look down upon each other, you guys should try and embrace the rivalry. We're lucky to have these programs and the passions they bring out in the fans and alumni - this is what college athletics is all about. Anyone that saw Adam Morrison collapse in tears at midcourt after Gonzaga's loss to UCLA in the Dance last year can attest to the emotions attached to college hoops - this includes the fans. When was the last time you saw an NBA player show such unbridled emotion. I'll take these two prorams and the ensuing rivalry over any professional franchise here in Albany 8 days a week. Good luck in March Danes.

sainttj: Went to UAlbany but cheer for Siena?? INFIDEL! (*just teasing*). On another note, amen to your point about the NBA and emotion. I saw Chris Webber play in one of his first games with the Pistons (and having grown up in Ann Arbor, I love U of M and the Pistons), but he and the Pistons repulsed me (did I mention I'm also a Knicks fan? Ditto ... .). He trotted around and put no effort in whatsoever. The screens those guys were setting were horrible. No passion at all. I can't even watch NBA games anymore ... .

I used to watch the NBA playoffs 3 years ago. I can't do it any more. I'd rather watch guys with a small fraction of their talent but have the heart of Carl Ross. He'll never be a success in the NBA (hell, he'll never get the chance to mop the floor of an NBA locker room) but he will be a success in the big game we call life. He already is. The intangibles he brings to the Danes are incalcuable. He is a bigger part of that team than anyone not on it can appreciate.

For the record, I am a Mets fan - I despise the Yankmees. As for not being able to root for both the Danes and Saints, who says so? I do and will continue to do so. I am a diehard Saints fan. I've been going to games my whole life. My post was meant to be a peace offering. I do appreciate the sentiment, though.

As for not being able to root for both the Danes and Saints, who says so? I do and will continue to do so.

I'm not sure that's in Great Danes Fans guidebook anywhere that you can't follow both teams. Although having a "saint" anything handle though might not win you a lot of friends on this board. You've probably figured that out already though.

Maybe we can get you to swear at oath to hate Al Walker and all things Binghamton. That would make me feel better.

As for not being able to root for both the Danes and Saints, who says so? I do and will continue to do so.

I'm not sure that's in Great Danes Fans guidebook anywhere that you can't follow both teams. Although having a "saint" anything handle though might not win you a lot of friends on this board. You've probably figured that out already though.

Maybe we can get you to swear at oath to hate Al Walker and all things Binghamton. That would make me feel better.

I've been to Binghampton and trust me I don't need an oath to hate the place - much less, the school. Anyone who's been to this purgatory we call Binghampton can attest to that. Not very familiar with Al Walker - I'll do my homework before I run my mouth. Anyway, looking forward to being at the Vermont game on the 11th. It hope it decides the #1 seed. Being at the RACC for the championship last year was a great experience. My burger at Sutter's after the game was one of the best I've had.

By the way, don't know if anyone else watched Rodger's sports report on 13 last night but Jeff Ruland seemed pretty upset of Iorizzo's article "Sad Sacks." He said something to the effect of (paraphrasing) 'You can call me a chump, but don't call this school, these kids, or our mascot chumps...we have won three championships in the past 6 years, and two in this building (TUC) so I think someone better talk to this gentleman.'

Is Al Walker's picture (with the horns) on the main page of this forum? I didn't immediately recognize the person. Here is another picture of A. Walker: http://athletics.binghamton.edu/sports/mbask/coaches.html

IMHO, he looks like exactly the sort of guy that I would not want my daughter, if I had one, to bring home to meet the family!

sainttj

Others in here are very generous. not so, I.

If you watch the UAlbany-Siena game, and actually root for Siena, all the burgers at Sutters and trashing Binghamton, and can't wait for Vermont (and don't tell me 'it' doesn't move a little when you see the green uniform) - all of that does not mean spit. You are not a Danes fan.

I think you need man up and tell your daddy that you've decided to go another way. But that would be me. You, I suspect are unable to do that.

Is Al Walker's picture (with the horns) on the main page of this forum? I didn't immediately recognize the person. Here is another picture of A. Walker: http://athletics.binghamton.edu/sports/mbask/coaches.html

Pretty sure they airbrush the horns out in the media guide.

Bob, I understand you didn't enjoy the Iona game. What happened? Do you still have PTSD while sitting in the arena? I understand; losing to Siena five out of the last six years there would bring back nightmares for me as well.

Siena against the second worst team in the MAAC on Superbowl sunday: 5,007 fans.

SUNY's homecoming weekend on a Saturday night. 4,538 fans.

Yeah, looks like Siena is in trouble.

Vocabulary time for the Siena faithful:

stagnation

noun

1. a state of inactivity (in business or art etc); "economic growth of less than 1% per year is considered to be economic stagnation"

2. inactivity of liquids; being stagnant; standing still; without current or circulation

Archived