UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

How far we have come

I came to Albany as a freshman in 2001 and I've watched the basketball team as well as the school grow. I know a lot of you have been here much longer then I, but I think this stat shows really how far we have come.

This is the average attendance totals for the sixs years that I've been here. Each year regardless of record we see an increase

2001-02 1649 (Includes 8,200 SU game at Pepsi) without 966

2002-03 1168 (+202)

2003-04 1193 (+25)

2004-05 1945 (+752)

2005-06 2541 (+596)

2006-07 2885 (to date) (+344) my est. (+709)

(I’m going to est. the final attendance figures 1/31 (3200), 2/3 (4538), 2/11 (4538), 2/25 (4,000)). This would give us nearly 3,250 avg attendance. Hopefully this trend will continue past this year with the next generation of Great Danes.

I came to Albany as a freshman in 2001 and I've watched the basketball team as well as the school grow. I know a lot of you have been here much longer then I, but I think this stat shows really how far we have come.

This is the average attendance totals for the sixs years that I've been here. Each year regardless of record we see an increase

2002-03 1168 (+202)

2003-04 1193 (+25)

2004-05 1945 (+752)

2005-06 2541 (+596)

(I’m going to est. the final attendance figures 1/31 (3200), 2/3 (4538), 2/11 (4538), 2/25 (4,000)). This would give us nearly 3,250 avg attendance. Hopefully this trend will continue past this year with the next generation of Great Danes.

My time frame is similar to yours and I totally agree. The athletic and academic value of the university has increased dramatically and I think were well on our way to being one of the top research universities in the nation with a solid and evolving athletic program!

2002-03 1168 (+202)

2003-04 1193 (+25)

2004-05 1945 (+752)

2005-06 2541 (+596)

My time frame is similar to yours and I totally agree. The athletic and academic value of the university has increased dramatically and I think were well on our way to being one of the top research universities in the nation with a solid and evolving athletic program!

It isn't just the acedemic and athletic value, it's also the asthetic value (though the errors of those in the early-1960s put some limits to that short of knocking down key buildings). I transfered in '03, thought I graduated in '05, and am back to finish two classes that eluded the Registrar's office until after I walked and everything now and the environment has been improved drastically in some regards as well. A good example is how the Campus Center has been redone and how people actually like to be there today vs. even two years ago.

The only thing that could hold the school back is if the infrastructure of the podium and the main four quads starts to fail, which is something that I fear but is a risk anywhere with concrete. I was at UNC-Charlotte last month and their 10-story towers, built nearly 10 years after our larger towers, are in worse exterior shape than ours.

Where we'll be in 10-15 years will be interesting. Of the older folks here, who thought that back when the idea of UAlbany going to DI was being discussed that the school would come so far in sports and even overall?

Truthfully, sportswise we're going along about as I expected, except I didn't foresee the 3-year backtracking of the Hicks/Beeten regimes. I know I was more optimistic than some from another unnamed school who told me we wouldn't be competitive for 'at least ten years' after going D-I.

Truthfully, sportswise we're going along about as I expected, except I didn't foresee the 3-year backtracking of the Hicks/Beeten regimes. I know I was more optimistic than some from another unnamed school who told me we wouldn't be competitive for 'at least ten years' after going D-I.

The academic move in the early 60's from a "teachers college" to a University was slow but positive. Surprisingly as it may seem, the need to move to Division I in athletics was needed to attract better students to the University. Not that all students participate but they do want to be a part of a vibrant well rounded university. They want to attend a school with competition between the athletes and the intellectuals. Very often the athletes and the intellectuals are one and the same. When a prospective secondary teacher's only choice was Albany, the quality of students attending was outstanding. But as competition opened, student quality dropped dramatically. Successful Division I athletics has increased student awareness of the University and admissions interest has increased. HOWEVER, YOU MUST HAVE ACADEMIC QUALITY TO ATTRACT STUDENTS TO THE ATHLETIC PROGRAMS.

[Where we'll be in 10-15 years will be interesting. Of the older folks here, who thought that back when the idea of UAlbany going to DI was being discussed that the school would come so far in sports and even overall?

As someone who was at the school in the late 80s (1986-90), I always regretted that the athletic programs were not DI. If successful, I thought it would have done a lot to quell some of the student body's apathy to anything that didn't involve a trip to WTs (which was a real fact in the late 80s). Too bad they started the process just after I left (I think they announced the plans to move up in the early 1990s).

Being one of the radio guys from back then, we'd get psyched up to do a big game (Potsdam) & when it was at home, the crowds were into it. In 1990 when we hosted the regionals for the DIII tourney & the place was beyond standing room (over 3K in the old gym) & was sold out at least a day before, much like the AE final last year.

Archived