UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UNREAL jealousy

For what it's worth.

Just for General Knowledge......

The AE has rated ahead of the MAAC 2 of the past three seasons according to the RPI, prior to that the AE was held back by the defections and by the enterance of the newly emerging DI SUNY trio.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From info posted on the MAAC fans own sMAAC board........

Date Posted: 16:58:13 03/12/07 Mon

Author: Mental Giant

Subject: Re: No evidence to support that conclusion.

In reply to: RiderRaver 's message, "No evidence to support that conclusion." on 12:04:11 03/12/07 Mon

I must be a Mental Giant.

I can realize.....

the AE had two sub 100 RPI Teams and 0 300+ RPI Teams

the MAAC had 0 sub 100 RPI Teams and 2 300+ RPI Teams

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also consider the AE got a 13 seed in the NCAAs the MAAC got the PIG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's reality, that's fact. No Bias that's info collected by and judgements passed by neutral observers

It should be easy to consider which has been the better conference. If we choose to live in the present.

UA_MA_2000, let's not attack Siena's academic reputation. This is a basketball forum and is not the place to have that discussion. With regards to college basketball, the MAAC is traditionally a much stronger conference than the AE despite differences in the athletic budgets. That is just a fact. This year was sort of an aberration in that the AE had a higher RPI by a few spots. However, when you look at the head to head comparison, the MAAC still had a winning record against AE teams this year. I will admit that Albany and Vermont did very well this year, but other than those teams, the AE is pretty weak top to bottom.

I know I will be attacked in subsequent posts, but I could not resist responding to a post that undermined the academic reputation of Siena. Congratulations on an excellent tournament seed, and good luck against Virginia. I honestly think that Albany can win that game.

saints73: Your post is at hand. I must respectfully disagree with a few of your points. First, this is absolutely a proper forum for discussion of the symbiotic relationship between athletics and academics. Remember, these are student athletes we are dealing with, and, moreover, I do not view this digital medium of expression as one that is so restrictive. So, I feel that this is an appropriate forum for such talk. I know that there are some UA fans that absolutely agree with you with regard to what are appropriate topics to talk about here (I remember being instructed by a UA fan on this forum about a month or two ago about how I was discussing matters outside the scope of the thread (specifically, Siena), and I disagreed with him then, and I disagree with you now as well). I am far more concerned with UA academics than its sports, though I love the athletics too. I do tend to incorporate matters beyond the intial thread topic, but I do not find that to be so egregious as others claim. One need only search my past posts, and you will find how often I discuss things that are perhaps beyond the initial discussion that existed at the beginning of the thread. But I'm not the only one. So hey, sue me. :)

Also, you mischaracterize my previous post as an attack on Siena's academic reputation. How did I attack it? I was comparing UAlbany to Siena as far as budgets and programs go. UAlbany has three doctoral programs now ranked in the top 10 nationally. Siena does not. UAlbany offers far more graduate programs than Siena. I am not attacking Siena, but, rather, simply stating that Siena is a different type of school. Siena is a great place for kids who need their hands held with small class sizes and individualized attention. Indeed, I bet Siena has a better retention rate than UAlbany! And if you're willing to pay $80,000 for it, I can't think of a better way to be educated at the college level (well, yes I can, Skidmore, RPI, etc., but Siena is an appropriate choice if you have the cash)!

Having grown up in an academic household as the child of college faculty members, I personally did not need that sort of small-class-size education, so a large institution was much better suited for me and one that I actively sought out (I loved simply being a "number" on campus)! Having said this, I know many Siena alums, and they are very fine individuals, bright people, and great workers! I have nothing bad to say about the graduates that Siena produces. What I talked about was the high cost to attend Siena, along with its different focus (lack of graduate programs) as compared to UAlbany! They are simply different types of institutions. I absolutely did not mean to imply that Siena is not a worthy place to attend (if you can afford it of course). Siena does an outstanding job with its students and produces fine alumni, and I have NEVER said otherwise. Check my posts. What I do mean to say is that potential students have a wealth of college choices in this area, and, although I would personally put Siena as my 4th choice in this area behind RPI, Skidmore, and UAlbany, it is a great choice at the "#4 seed." But do not construe that as an attack on Siena because it is not one. Simply put, we are all lucky to have such fine academic institutions in this area (including Siena!).

As far as your second point about the MAAC conference being better, I disagree, but I couldn't set out this argument any better than Patch does, so see his post. Patch continuously adduces numbers and facts that cannot be disputed on this issue (as well as others), so there is no need for me to even address your argument on this one because Patch already won the case for the America East. :)

Saints73, I look forward to your rebuttal, though I will be out of town until Friday or Sunday, so I may not be able to respond promptly.

Patch,

I agree with you, historically the MAAC has been stronger but the winds of change are blowing. Two out of the last three, what if we are yet again stronger next season, how much longer will we have to listen to ......well the MAAC is a stronger confrence and UA plays in the America Least? And when that excuse is exhausted they will try to come up with something else.

UA Wins over Siena

Field Hockey 6-0

Men Soccer 3-1

Women Soccer 0-0 T

VBall 3-1

Women Basketball 72-52

Men Lacross 21-8

Women Lacross 8-5

Siena Win over UA

Men Basketball 76-75 2(OT)

I will take a loss over Siena every year if it results in us going to the NCAA.

OH BTW we also have a Football team that was in the national top 25. It is clear that Siena is a one sport school lets ignore some of them who do not wish us well and enjoy the post season T-Minus 86 hrs 15 minutes till tip.

I agree with not comparing the schools academically. They're two very different places -- a large research university and small catholic college are just on different playing fields. Even comparing the "number" of graduate programs is a bit of a farce since UAs are designed (in principle) to produce researchers and academics.

But can't we just move on and focus on Virginia?

Patch,

I agree with you, historically the MAAC has been stronger but the winds of change are blowing. Two out of the last three, what if we are yet again stronger next season, how much longer will we have to listen to ......well the MAAC is a stronger confrence and UA plays in the America Least? And when that excuse is exhausted they will try to come up with something else.

Bosiydid

We don't have to listen to any LCC fan that the maac is a stronger conference than AE. Others have spoken loud and clear that it is not. About a month ago ESPN and bracketbusters spoke loud and clear and said NO MAAC team is worthy of a bracketbuster game while Albany was selected for the second year in a row.

Now the NCAA selection committee has said the maac champion (who finished ahead of the aints in both the regular season and the maac tournament) is one of the 2 worst teams in the NCAA tournament while Albany is better than at least 13 teams- The 5 16's + 4 15's + 4 14's

Archived