UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

This whole thing is really funny and sad at the same time. Stony Brook is crazy. Please tell me that none of you are panicing or jealous!

Would you rather be associated someday with UMass, UNH, Maine, Delaware, and Hofstra.........or Presbyterian, Gardner-Webb, Liberty and Charleston Southern??? :wacko:

IMO - Good non-move by Albany.

1. Stony Brook had no choice. Scheduling is too hard as an independent and it is also harder to recruit - even with scholarships if you can't tell the kids that they can play for some sort of championship (even if it's just the conference championship. They can also tell recruits that Coastal got an at large bid last year.

2. Albany can probably join that conference whenever it wants. Why not wait, save $350k in travel cost annually - not to mention the cost of adding the scholarships so quickly.. The only benefit for Albany changing conferences is to get an automatic bid to the NCAA's and that isn't on the table. If I'm UA administration, I say let's see what happens over the next couple of years and then make a decision. They can still join the Big South if the number of auto bids goes up - they don't lose a thing.

3. If we can't get into a more geographically convenient conference or AE football doesn't work out, I say join the Big South in 2009 or 2010 just in time to get the autobid - assuming the number increases by then.

My impression of SBU is that they are like a run away train. Granted, I don't know much about football, but I simply have to laugh and snicker when I look at who they try recruiting in basketball. Many of us have poked fun at them because they are all over the place, involved with like 25 players from all over the country of all different abilities etc. They appear to me at least, to be like an immature child, no idea what to go after so they go after anything they can get their hands on, biting off more then they can chew; instead of letting the transition come naturally in basketball/football etc. they just look lost. Where is the focus?

From what I've been able to gather after reading AGS and other boards it's a great non-move for us. I think they are out of their mind, does anyone (more learned fans) see some larger plan in all of this? I mean going Independent and now this. It seems to my untrained eye like they went independent and then said oh $iena it's impossible to schedule games lets jump into bed with the first available party. WOW!

IMO - Good non-move by Albany.

1. Stony Brook had no choice. Scheduling is too hard as an independent and it is also harder to recruit - even with scholarships if you can't tell the kids that they can play for some sort of championship (even if it's just the conference championship. They can also tell recruits that Coastal got an at large bid last year.

2. Albany can probably join that conference whenever it wants. Why not wait, save $350k in travel cost annually - not to mention the cost of adding the scholarships so quickly.. The only benefit for Albany changing conferences is to get an automatic bid to the NCAA's and that isn't on the table. If I'm UA administration, I say let's see what happens over the next couple of years and then make a decision. They can still join the Big South if the number of auto bids goes up - they don't lose a thing.

3. If we can't get into a more geographically convenient conference or AE football doesn't work out, I say join the Big South in 2009 or 2010 just in time to get the autobid - assuming the number increases by then.

Well said.

I was a bit perturbed at first...but the more I think about the more I stand by my comments MONTHS AGO...this is not a good move.

Competition, competition, competition.

I think the best thing to come out of all this is simple competition. Albany and Stony Brook are on different paths toward a common goal. I'm sure each institution is trying to get ahead the best way they know how. This move is more likely to propel Albany forward more than anything else to date. If Stony Brook appears to be successful, Albany will find a way to catch up. Time will tell what was a good decision.

The main thing is the two institutions aren't sitting still, content that the other isn’t moving. Competition is good.

Is it just me or is SBU like the younger brother that wants to do things there way. Here are some of my favorite lines in the press release you really need to read into these comments.

"This is the right time and the right conference at this moment in our history for the Stony Brook football program," said Stony Brook President Shirley Strum Kenny

This is probably one of the nicest ways of saying we f'ed up with our time schedule, being an independent is a straight one way ticket to no where and this was the only conference equal to the NEC at present that would take us.

"Stony Brook's personnel, facilities and commitment to FCS football, will have it competing for Conference championships right away, and enhance the Big South's national competitiveness."

Sounds to me like SBU took a big jump going from the NEC where it finished tied for second with us to the BS (hahahaha, ah that’s funny BS). :rolleyes:

agreed -- good thing we stay in NEC (for now!) Good thing to start separating the SUNY campuses into conferences -- it bothers me a bit that we play with Bonghamton and Stonedy Brook in basketball, esp. as they dog the bottom of the conference and reduce our overall conference rating.

I'm more worried about the future success of basketball.

Archived