UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Brown to Interview at St Bonaventure

I'm pretty sure players, coaches, or anyone involved in the athletic programs DO NOT come to this site and reads it...and if they do, all they are seeing is fan's opinions...

shoot us. :rolleyes:

I am quite confident that players, coaches, and administration people (at least some) come on here. In fact, I would find it strange if they didn't. It's important that we strive to be as civil as possible on here (though I myself have found it hard with the posts of some LCC fans, so I point the finger, first, at myself for some not-so-civil remarks made in the past). In all seriousness, we as alumni and fans do act as "representatives" of some sort for the school, so it's important that we act, to best best extent possible, accordingly. Of course, I'll be the first to admit that I poke fun at the LCC fans as much as I can, but it's all in good fun and I, of course, mean them no ill-will off the playing field. I just enjoy watching them lose at everything; that's all (and I'm sure they enjoy our losses!). :)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update from R. Wyland on the radio this a.m. Will is interviewing with St. Bonna today. He will be offerede the Bonnie job today or tomorrow, with Salary around $300K. Will will not accept the job today or tomorrow. Will will meet with McElroy on Monday.

Wyland reported all of the above as fact.

Wyland also said Will is interested in the Iona job, but he is one of several candidates on the short list.

Update from R. Wyland on the radio this a.m. Will is interviewing with St. Bonna today. He will be offerede the Bonnie job today or tomorrow, with Salary around $300K. Will will not accept the job today or tomorrow. Will will meet with McElroy on Monday.

Wyland also said Will is interested in the Iona job, but he is one of several candidates on the short list.

Iona? Is that considered a step up from us? I really don't think so. Why would he want IONA? the chance to play Siena twice a season?

I imagine it will be hard to turn $300,000/per annum down. If he's also considering the Iona job, then I think it appears, from my relatively uninformed perspective, that he's just looking for an out at this point, but who knows if that rumor is even true. Iona is is a substantial step down, and, as we have so often pointed out here, the MAAC has been rated lower than the AE two of the past three years. Would an Iona coaching job really push him along in terms of his career goals?

On the other hand, he's been here for several years now, and it's reasonable to infer that he's simply looking to make the next step in his career. Moreover, he probably can't ask to do a whole lot more with this program than he has.

1. IMO, if he is going to leave, it will be to St. Bona. The Iona job is a much better opportunity and will be much more competitive in terms of interest from potential coaches. I would also expect that St. Bona will want an answer quickly - before the Iona search gets well underway.

2. No, I don't think that Iona is necessarily a step up - however, they will pay a lot more than $163k base salary.

3. I hope that Coach Brown either accepts the St. Bona job on Monday or agrees to a new agreement with McElroy when they meet.

This can go on for a long time and it's not good for the program. You have recent signees that are expected to step up and contribute right away. I don't know that anyone wants them reading about Coach Brown's interest in every opening along the east coast over the next month (if Brady goes to St. Bonaventure, does Coach Brown become interested in Marist?).

Let's end this next week. By my count, there are 4 available scholarships for 2008 - 2009 class (not including the verbal for Chauncey Gilliam). The UAlbany program needs to find the kids for those scholarships and keep working with Gilliam so he doesn't walk away like the kid from Chicago did last year after getting to prep school.

IMO, if this goes on past next week, it becomes a distraction.

All of that said, I really want Coach Brown to come back and I hope that he and McElroy can work something out when they meet on Monday.

I find it laughable that the job at Iona is considered a step up. I don't think so, with a 2-28 record this year, and I don't personally care about all the excuses why the record was so poor. I also find it laughable that some people consider the MAAC far superior to the AE. It's difficult to convince people that it is not the case, despite the RPI evidence from the last two years. And the major reason why the AE was rated lower is previous years is due to the entrance of the three SUNY schools into the league. Two of us (UA and Stony Brook) had been in Division I for only two years before joining, and for Binghamton it was their initiation into D I that very year. If you remove the SUNY's in those early years, then the average RPI for the remaining schools would have been much higher. I think that the RPI for that part of the AE would been very comparable to the MAAC. The SUNY's, with their very beginnings in Division I, have a good excuse for low RPI's from 2001-03. The long-established MAAC schools, St. Peters and Iona, have no plausible excuse for their poor performance in RPI (326 & 329, I believe) ratings this year. They should almost be considered Division II institutions. No AE team this year had an RPI lower than 300.

Unless Will Brown wants the Iona job as a challenge, I cannot see him considering this step a promotion. Sure, the money may be higher, but living costs in Westchester are appreciably higher than in Albany.

As has been discussed on other boards, I don't think there is any great animosity between Brown and McElroy. We have no way of really knowing what went on during negotiations last year or what is going on behind the scenes this year, and its none of our business. For others to assume that there is rancor smacks of being disingenuous. I wonder what the motive of those who want to find rancor really is.

Will Brown is in Olean right now--being served a large cup of grape Kool Aid. Will he drink?

Bona board reporting that Will Brown is on campus and has been offered the job, he has until Monday to decide. Now the million dollar question will McElroy step up to the plate and give Brown a nice raise. My guess is he does.. Now if Will is the front runner for the Iona job,( and I don't think he will be) all bets are off, contrary to what some of you think here, the Iona job is considerably better job than Bona and a step up from the Albany job. Of course if McElroy is smart he puts a buy out clause in the raise to stop Will from even thinking about other mid Major jobs

Will Brown is in Olean right now--being served a large cup of grape Kool Aid. Will he drink?

Bona board reporting that Will Brown is on campus and has been offered the job, he has until Monday to decide. Now the million dollar question will McElroy step up to the plate and give Brown a nice raise. My guess is he does.. Now if Will is the front runner for the Iona job,( and I don't think he will be) all bets are off, contrary to what some of you think here, the Iona job is considerably better job than Bona and a step up from the Albany job. Of course if McElroy is smart he puts a buy out clause in the raise to stop Will from even thinking about other mid Major jobs

Seriously--I plead ignorrance here. Give me some explanation on how Iona is a step up from UAlbany? other than the base salary

capabilities. Don't give me any crap about the MAAC being superior to America East.

Seriously--I plead ignorrance here. Give me some explanation on how Iona is a step up from UAlbany?

purple,

Why don't you go head over the the Siena board, it's explained in detail by such visionary thinkers as SaintsFan and Gorvy. :rolleyes:

Seriously--I plead ignorrance here. Give me some explanation on how Iona is a step up from UAlbany?

purple,

Why don't you go head over the the Siena board, it's explained in detail by such visionary thinkers as SaintsFan and Gorvy. :rolleyes:

Ah, yes---True examples of what type of mind a Siena education can create.

Some information I've been able to gather.

Will Brown wants more money than the $200k McCaffery is getting from Siena. McCaffery came to Siena with a base of $125k, his extras had him just below $150k his first year. Along came Penn, and Siena gave McCaffery a $50k raise from the $125k base - so he now sits at just about $200k ($175k base + extras). Although I'm hearing he's going to be given a raise at the end of Siena's fiscal year of $10k - $15k.

Brown has made it clear he wants to be the highest paid coach in town - given the back-to-back titles. Everything has gone exactly to Brown's plan - UA gets to the dance and he gets a high mid-major offer almost immediately.

I've heard that Brown also wants a two-year extension out of Albany and total compensation of $225k, with a serious increase in his incentives.

Some information I've been able to gather.

Will Brown wants more money than the $200k McCaffery is getting from Siena. McCaffery came to Siena with a base of $125k, his extras had him just below $150k his first year. Along came Penn, and Siena gave McCaffery a $50k raise from the $125k base - so he now sits at just about $200k ($175k base + extras). Although I'm hearing he's going to be given a raise at the end of Siena's fiscal year of $10k - $15k.

Brown has made it clear he wants to be the highest paid coach in town - given the back-to-back titles. Everything has gone exactly to Brown's plan - UA gets to the dance and he gets a high mid-major offer almost immediately.

I've heard that Brown also wants a two-year extension out of Albany and total compensation of $225k, with a serious increase in his incentives.

I. On Brown

As a fan, I would want our coach to make more than LCC's coach (then again, that's easy for me to say as I do not control the fiscal purse; on the other hand, I would like to see pay increases for many of our faculty at our four university centers (to wit, UAlbany, Bingo, SB, and Buffalo (well, maybe not Bingo)), as I think their work and research goes too often underappreciated). Back to hoops --- and given the fact that we're talking about Brown and that we as a fan base admire him for what he's done for the school and for the quality person that he appears to be --- I would hope that our school can reward Coach accordingly. There is also something to be said for stability with our head coaching position. Assuming the foregoing contract renegotiating points are what Brown is indeed looking for, I think that, to that end, they are reasonable. Even if Brown wasn't our coach right now, I would still want our coach to make more than LCC's coach! What is everyone else's thoughts on this and Brown's rumored requests/desires?

II. On Iona as compared to St. B. and UAlbany

Also, how is Iona a step up from either UAlbany or St. Bonaventure? While we can debate whether St. B. or UA is a better fit, I don't see what Iona's argument would be? Can someone spell out the argument for me because I can't?

Archived