UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Sources: Brown Offered Bonnies Job

I'm aware of the realities of business - but the question was raised recently - what is the purpose of a 'contract' ?

From Coach Brown, to every professional athlete - when you have a bad season you expect the team to honor the terms that were agreed upon. But when you have a good season there is some expectation that the employer is obligated to renegotiate.

Part of me, a large part of me, wants Coach Brown to stay, get the raise, come back and take us to the dance again. And if he does we'll get to wach this same dance again next spring. But if he stays and in the post-Jamar era we win less than 10 games Coach Brown still has his contract and paycheck.

I'm not naive, I understand that this is how it works. But I was a big Walter Alston fan - 26 one-year contracts. Earn another contract each year based on performance. And if you sign for five years - show me that your signature is your word.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a gut feeling he is going to stay put. At least for now. I hope it all plays out quickly for the few of us who are following it.. :o The Bona Board speculates UAlbany recruits (Raffa) following the coach there.

I agree. To be honest, I'd be kinda shocked if he took the St. Bonaventure job, unless the pay offer is so much better that what UAlbany can offer. But money isn't everything! Overall quality of life, location and community, and what is best for one's family is what would be, were it me, some of the most important things (with what is best for my family as the #1 priority).

I have remained quiet on this topic while I have waited to see how it plays out. However, if I was in the administration's position, I would try to never renegotiate. I would offer coaches the opportunity to honor the original terms of the contract, or to break their contracts if they feel there is a better opportunity elsewhere.

While it could easily be argued that Coach Brown deserves some sort of merit pay for his tremendous contribution to UAlbany, he willingly signed a contract that he thought was fair less than one year ago. If his team had injuries or under-performed, UAlbany would still have honored the contract, and both parties would have remained satisfied.

Didn't Beeten have a contract? I might agree, but renegotiating and/or extending has become practice, not the exception.

I'm sure some of their hostility will go away when they get a new coach and renewed optimisim about their program.

I probably shouldn't use their message board as a barometer for their fans but it was amazing that some of them were looking not only to mine our program for the coach but also to round up some UA recruits as well. I guess it's just college basketball but the "bigger" conferences use the smaller ones as a farm team without compulsion and then are bitter when we're lucky enough to keep our guy.

Archived