UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Raise the retirement age to 80 and bring back Doc.

This is a bit off-topic, but sadly, I never saw a game when Doc was here. What was he like? What kind of coach was he, and what style did he have his teams employ on the court? I read a little about him in an old NY Times article that I found online: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html...750C0A961958260 (Mar. 11, 1997).

I would imagine that he's got to be so proud of where this program has come and all of his terrific contributions to the program over the years!

Doc...was the man. That guy could have left for greener pastures years and years ago...but stayed. His wife was an amazing lady as well...always supportive...and friendly to players and fans alike.

The story that I heard (back in the late 80s when I was on campus) that when UConn went into the Big East in the early 80's, he was the #1 candidate ahead of Calhoun, was offered the job, was going to accept but changed his mind at the last minute. Never was able to document that as fact though.

Apparently he and Jim Boeheim are best friends too (maybe that's why he was UConn's choice).

While I was in school and doing games on WCDB, he took a 1 yr sabbatical - the interim coach was Barry Cavanaugh, who was much more approachable - Doc was certainly serious before games & practices.

I have heard that same story about UCONN.

He is VERY CLOSE TO BOEHEIM...also he was with Chaney and Rollie M.

I also believe Doc was on the committee when the three pt. line was instated.

Doc...was the man. That guy could have left for greener pastures years and years ago...but stayed. His wife was an amazing lady as well...always supportive...and friendly to players and fans alike.

Doc was a disciplinarian for sure....loved having the ball move around...and got REALLY PISSED OFF when his players didnt move without the ball. In the days without fans at the RACC, you could sense when Doc was getting mad...his arms would cross...he would stand solemn...and then bang...you would here him belt out "MOVE...MOVE...MOVE."

Timeouts...oh...dont think about sitting. I remember in my principles of coaching class he told us something to the effect of: you're tired and want to sit...then the player sits on the bench. Other than that you best be standing in my timeout.

I always find it a shame that Doc didnt get to Coach at the DI level. If he had, in let's say the 80's and early 90's, I think UA would have some good tourney teams.

Echo that on the "move, move, move" quotation. In that regard he must have been really frustrated to play Fredonia when somebody named Bill . . . was coach and there was no shot clock. Under that coach, Fredonia would hold the ball for very long periods of time before attempting a shot. I think we played them once when the final score was 18-16. In that same season Fredonia played a school from West Virginia with a final score of 3-2. "Doc," although from a lower level school (D III) sat on a panel that was instrumental in getting the shot clock into the game.

Once I introduced a possible recruit to Sauers, and "Doc" offered to let my wife and me shadow him for the day. Such a tempting offer! I wanted so BADLY to do it, but my better judgment prevented me from accepting. I told my wife right afterward that I would have found it more enlightening to follow Sauers around for a couple hours than to spend a day in the Oval Office.

One way in which he is very similar to Will Brown is that both took over programs that had been in shambles. The story that was printed in media guides years ago pertained to the first time Sauers took over responsibility at Albany. As a 24-year old, he had been hired to take over the JV program (which existed back then), but the previous coach no longer had the position (fired or quit?) and Sauers was offered the head position. He earned a winning season his first year out after the previous team went 2-16.

Why is he named "Doc?" He wrote a book on stack offense. A man of great skill and integrity.

Doc was a disciplinarian for sure....loved having the ball move around...and got REALLY PISSED OFF when his players didnt move without the ball. In the days without fans at the RACC, you could sense when Doc was getting mad...his arms would cross...he would stand solemn...and then bang...you would here him belt out "MOVE...MOVE...MOVE."

Timeouts...oh...dont think about sitting. I remember in my principles of coaching class he told us something to the effect of: you're tired and want to sit...then the player sits on the bench. Other than that you best be standing in my timeout.

I always find it a shame that Doc didnt get to Coach at the DI level. If he had, in let's say the 80's and early 90's, I think UA would have some good tourney teams.

Echo that on the "move, move, move" quotation. In that regard he must have been really frustrated to play Fredonia when somebody named Bill . . . was coach and there was no shot clock. Under that coach, Fredonia would hold the ball for very long periods of time before attempting a shot. I think we played them once when the final score was 18-16. In that same season Fredonia played a school from West Virginia with a final score of 3-2. "Doc," although from a lower level school (D III) sat on a panel that was instrumental in getting the shot clock into the game.

Once I introduced a possible recruit to Sauers, and "Doc" offered to let my wife and me shadow him for the day. Such a tempting offer! I wanted so BADLY to do it, but my better judgment prevented me from accepting. I told my wife right afterward that I would have found it more enlightening to follow Sauers around for a couple hours than to spend a day in the Oval Office.

One way in which he is very similar to Will Brown is that both took over programs that had been in shambles. The story that was printed in media guides years ago pertained to the first time Sauers took over responsibility at Albany. As a 24-year old, he had been hired to take over the JV program (which existed back then), but the previous coach no longer had the position (fired or quit?) and Sauers was offered the head position. He earned a winning season his first year out after the previous team went 2-16.

Why is he named "Doc?" He wrote a book on stack offense. A man of great skill and integrity.

I have alot of those offenses sitting in my playbook for Albany Academy...never too far from my hands.

If we hired Ruland I think I would light my season tickets on fire outside the CUE.

Seems premature to have this conversation to me.

How is it premature? Coach is talking to another school about taking a new position. I think from the minute he makes an official visit and talks numbers with another school it gives me the right to bring it up. Comes with the territory.

He is still under contract but you're right, I should have said hopefully it's premature.

Raise the retirement age to 80 and bring back Doc.

This is a bit off-topic, but sadly, I never saw a game when Doc was here. What was he like? What kind of coach was he, and what style did he have his teams employ on the court? I read a little about him in an old NY Times article that I found online: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html...750C0A961958260 (Mar. 11, 1997).

I would imagine that he's got to be so proud of where this program has come and all of his terrific contributions to the program over the years!

The story that I heard (back in the late 80s when I was on campus) that when UConn went into the Big East in the early 80's, he was the #1 candidate ahead of Calhoun, was offered the job, was going to accept but changed his mind at the last minute. Never was able to document that as fact though.

Apparently he and Jim Boeheim are best friends too (maybe that's why he was UConn's choice).

While I was in school and doing games on WCDB, he took a 1 yr sabbatical - the interim coach was Barry Cavanaugh, who was much more approachable - Doc was certainly serious before games & practices.

I have heard that same story about UCONN.

He is VERY CLOSE TO BOEHEIM...also he was with Chaney and Rollie M.

I also believe Doc was on the committee when the three pt. line was instated.

Doc once told me(in the mid 80s) that the only way he would leave Albany was if Boeheim left Syracuse, and the SU job was offerred.

Different era, of course, and Doc had different priorities. As competitive as he was/is, he seemed comfortable being a big fish in a DIII pond. He had a good quality of life, and enjoyed playing golf at Wolfert's Roost, etc. He was a top level handball player as well as an avid golfer (although his wife was the best golfer in the Sauers family).

His course on theories and techniques of coaching basketball, was one of the two or three most memorable classes of my undergrad years.

I still have my course binder and Doc's handouts 20 years later. Doc was a confident, commanding presence on and off the court. He was proud of his longevity and success, and would joke that Bob Knight and Dean Smith were only "babes in the woods".