UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

$275,000

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

D96 - I would rarely question you knowledge but I believe the Stony Brook Coach with incentives gets around $300,000. He had no DI Head Coaching experience but came with a UCONN pedigree.

(Dane correct me if I'm wrong but I heard there is "Foundation" Money involved. You could probably explain that much better than me. I guess each SUNY has its own pot of money basically outside the SUNY system control.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The new BUNY Coach is getting a 5yr deal with a 205,000 base (40k more then Brown) + incentives with no DI Head Coaching experience but a GEORGETOWN pedigree.

Also, remember BUNY is still paying Walker.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brown, on the other hand is one of the SR. AE head coaches (in experience) with two 20+ win seasons in a row, 2 nationally televised Bracket Buster games, a Regular Season AE Championship and 2 AE Tourney Championships (with corresponding NCAA appearances) and an in conference record of 35-15 over the past 3 seasons but I guess he's seen as a low class mutt.

Is he being discriminated against because he was born on the wrong side of the tracks?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dane you would know better than I but I would imagine the SUNY schools are somewhat comparative in what they can do financially.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If Brown doesn't re-sign (and like most I hope he does re-sign) with Albany I believe the real reason will have nothing to do with the ability to pay but more to do with the desire to pay.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If Brown doesn't return, I wish him well, and thank him for a job well done and for delivering what he promised from day 1 - to make us a competitive DI program.

I would be anxious to see if UA goes out and gets a coach that is has a better pedigree and pays him based on his pedigree like our fellow SUNY schools have done. Only then will we have some insight to what is really transpiring.

Whyneland reporting that the SB deal is.....300K, 3 basketball camps, tuition for Jammie to attend grad school, airfare to 2 road games for her and Jackson, golf club membership. 275K base is what it would take according to Roger.

EDIT: I think I missed some cars there. A colleague came into my office and interrupted me.

Coach brown promised to put UAlbany in a position to compete for the America East Championship every season. The last 3 seasons he has done that. Next season will be critical for the program, as it will be year 1 A.J. (after Jamar). If Coach Brown and his staff decide to stay with us and continue to build and compete for the America East Championship--fantastic. If they move on, we thank them for all they have done and wish them well. Que Sera, Sera.

Airfare...blah...in the AE they wont need airfare.

Golf- Can be done at Woofert's for Pete's sake...call up doc

Grad school- I dont think it would cost much for Jaime to go to Albany...in fact I am sure they can do an employee waiver.

3 Camps- I think after this year he can get more kids who can afford camps in Albany than depressed Olean

GIVE THE MAN TWO GUARANTEE GAME $$'s and call it a day. Give him 225, plus all the above, plus 6k for his car...plus a clothing allowance.....and the two guarantees...and the package comes to probably right around 275 with the incentives. Plus, extend him for two year, put a buyout in the contract and guarantee the remaining 4 on his contract. Also, put in an annuity payment of X dollars and stipulate that if he stays the life of guarantee portion then he receives that annuity. This is all backend $$.

If that can't keep Will....than I wish him the very, very best...and I will root for his success in Olean. I think Lee canfigure out how to put together the package i just did when I rolled out of bed...it took me two minutes after reading the post.

Patch, the 265 base reported by Pikiel, as I have been told, was wrong. I also believe the TU and Fox23 retracted statements last year when WIll re-upped with UA.

And yes, the school could dip into the foundation...which is where I am sure the $$$ is coming from.

WE WANT TO WIN...act like a school that wants to win. That being said, it does hurt that we dont have a President.

All that being said, I am sorry, 300k is a ton of dough. The TOTAL package is worth 300k apparently.

Let's see if Lee really wants to play; Will really loves Albany as much as he says; Will really thinks he can win in Olean (tough task); and how much $$$ truly will come into play.

I'm not sure whether the current state budget situation is playing a role in all the negotiations drama. It seems that NYS will have a new budget for the next year very soon, and each SUNY branch should know how much money it will receive from the State.

Many schools have already chosen their new coaches for next season, and I would think that the available pool of qualified candidates has shrunk considerably in the last two weeks. If I were the AD, I would not want to go through the painful process of choosing a successor, particularly if the public perception is that he was letting the best fish in the pond right in front of him escape. McElroy has a tremendous amount of pressure on him now. He is certainly earning his salary this week.

I hope this meeting is productive and that each main character in this drama treats the other with great respect. I believe Brown will be staying, but if this scenario plays out each character will be dealing with each other for a long time. This week is not the final act.

This is getting crazy - it's nut - it's bottso!!!!!!

Lets get off topic a little.......

How would you like to be Al Walker you attempt to build a program, you make about 160,000 the administration reassigns(?) you and hire a replacement with no head coaching experience and starts him off woth about $45,000 more than you.

Mike Lonergan comes into UVM and gets the to 2 AE Tourney Championship games, 1 regular season title and wins more games in 1 season then his predecessor. UVM supposedly reworks his contract. A few days later BUNY starts their new coach off with 205,000, 5 year deal. Lonergan probably lost ground.

Will Brown for all is success gets currently is paid less then the new BUNY coach and Piekell. I wonder if Piekell got another extension this year like he did last year when he finished last.

WOW!!! is this DI stuff crazy or what?

The media is in a feeding frenzy, just speculating and throwing numbers around like they have some insight.

I hope Brown stays but damn if he goes can you imagine how crazy it will be with the media telling us the inside scoop of what is happening in the search. I'm sure speculation will be that the new coach starts at near 200,000 for 5 years like BUNY and Stony Brook.

WOW!!!

"And yes, the school could dip into the foundation...which is where I am sure the $$$ is coming from."

In other words, dig a little deeper this year with our donations. And ticket prices will be going up.

As a season-ticket holder, I would pay double the price of what the tickets are now (or more if it meant the difference between having a quality sports program and staff versus not having one). IMHO, continue to let the students attend for free, and let us alumni (and maybe I only speak for myself here) bear some of the cost with increased ticket prices. Or maybe just increase the prices for some of the games like the BPG. Just a thought ... . The fans want Coach to stay; I know that I am personally okay with sharing some of that cost through an increase in ticket prices.

When one sits back and thinks about it, a night out at the SEFCU, assuming a doubling of the ticket prices, is still a heck of a lot cheaper than a night out at the movies at Crossgates, a night out at the Times Union Center, or a night out for a dinner at a restaurant in this area (depends on the restaurant of course). The concessions at the TUC and at Regal Cinema at Crossgates are out of control, so I'll opt for a $20 ticket (for what were previously the $8 seats) to the SEFCU and its concessions (over the other forms of activity that I've mentioned ) anyday!

I know that the school wanted to keep prices for tickets down, but perhaps the chairbacks and courtside seats, as opposed to current $8 seats, are where some of the cost should be shifted to. I think the current prices for chairbacks and courtside seats are a real bargain (i.e., a "steal")! I hope they raise the prices of those to the point where some people drop their season tickets in those sections so I can snatch several seats up!

"And yes, the school could dip into the foundation...which is where I am sure the $$$ is coming from."

In other words, dig a little deeper this year with our donations. And ticket prices will be going up.

As a season-ticket holder, I would pay double the price of what the tickets are now (or more if it meant the difference between having a quality sports program and staff versus not having one). IMHO, continue to let the students attend for free, and let us alumni (and maybe I only speak for myself here) bear some of the cost with increased ticket prices. Or maybe just increase the prices for some of the games like the BPG. Just a thought ... . The fans want Coach to stay; I know that I am personally okay with sharing some of that cost through an increase in ticket prices.

Not to encourage the administration to go crazy with ticket prices but I'm also willing to pay more, perhaps more then double current rate if it means a successful basketball team, not to mention football, lacrosse etc. Isn't there also an option to setup automated donations, I thought I saw something to that effect in some mailing. I will probably be doing something like that if it's available. Time to put our money where our mouth is (for those that can afford it) instead of just bitching on a message board.

I too agree that tickets have been a bargain compared to the product on the floor the last few seasons. But, everyone should be aware of the reality. Alumni are required to step in and step up in situations like this. I have a coworker/friend that is very knowledgeable on another local team and one of the first things he said to me as this process was starting to unfold was that the "alumni need to contribute." Same with the Iona deal (buying out of Ruland).

That being said if you are faced with increasing a donation to UAlbany at the expense of a donation to say Special Olympics, you've got a dilema.

Great point on the students. Tickets should be free and there should be more of them if necessary.

Not to encourage the administration to go crazy with ticket prices but I'm also willing to pay more, perhaps more then double current rate if it means a successful basketball team, not to mention football, lacrosse etc. Isn't there also an option to setup automated donations, I thought I saw something to that effect in some mailing. I will probably be doing something like that if it's available. Time to put our money where our mouth is (for those that can afford it) instead of just bitching on a message board.

boisydid, right on!

I too agree that tickets have been a bargain compared to the product on the floor the last few seasons. But, everyone should be aware of the reality. Alumni are required to step in and step up in situations like this. I have a coworker/friend that is very knowledgeable on another local team and one of the first things he said to me as this process was starting to unfold was that the "alumni need to contribute." Same with the Iona deal (buying out of Ruland).

That being said if you are faced with increasing a donation to UAlbany at the expense of a donation to say Special Olympics, you've got a dilema.

Great point on the students. Tickets should be free and there should be more of them if necessary.

I know that I have previously made posts on this Board discussing ways to financially contribute for those who can't just write a check in the amount of, and just for example, $1,000. Buying concessions and merchandise are great ways to contribute. I would always skip my dinners on game nights and eat at the CU. Also, I think I own just about every item of merchansise that was sold during the games!! Small things yes, but if we all make small efforts, these efforts in the agregate really add up! I am assuming, of course, that revenue from concessions and merchansise goes back to the athletic department.

Also, McFan is absolutely correct about how important alumni contributions are and how one of the other local schools gets substantial support from its alumni. In fact, isn't there a local school, perhaps the same one referenced by myself and McFan, that offers season-ticket priority (in terms of what seats are available for purchase) based on amount of contribution?

Also, this is not just about paying out the sum of money discussed to keep Coach Brown. If we want to have a competitive basketball program with a coach who can get us to, and keep us at, the point where we are competitive from year to year, I would expect that same dollar amount, or more, to be in play (i.e, even if we had to go out and secure another coach). Just my $.02-

We want quality athletics programs that compete for championships across the board. Most sports have no chance of being revenue producing. The state is not going to pay for them. UA alumni will have to step up, just like at all the other schools with good programs. No free lunches.

Archived