UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

$275,000

$275 base sounds crazy, but the market for DI coaches has changed. If Broadus at Bing, who has no head coaching experience, and no history of success at Bing. is worth $205, what is Will worth? Moore getting $300K at Quinn. also supports Will's demand. The Witchita State coach's salary was increased from $250K to over $600K following their Sweet 16 run last year. When it comes to "hot" Div. I coaches, it is a seller's market.

Will obviously wants to stay here, since he basically said if you give me x,y,and z, I'll sign without going back to Bona. Rodger intimated this a.m. that the "hierachy" at UA, including the Admin., the Foundation, even SEFCU, will try to get a package together. Although McElroy may not have known the "drop dead" $ number until yesterday, I'm sure he and others have been coordinating the funding sources for the head coach's pay raise, whether it was for Will or someone else. If Will stays, I would think a significant buyout clause would be essential to prevent this melodrama from playing out every year.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can someone please help me. I am totally confused.

Someone reported Brown and McElroy met and it only lasted a half hour.

Does that mean it's over and Brown is gone?

Are they going to meet again?

What the h**l is happening?

Please attempt to assit me politely.

I once heard a "mind is a terrible thing to waste" - I now know what they are talking about.

I once heard a "mind is a terrible thing to waste" - I now know what they are talking about.

I read that post above too, and I thought that the poster was just speculating ... but I can't offer any information. :(

Meeting shouldn't take long.

Dr. McElroy: Did you get an offer.

Coach: Yes.

Dr. McElroy: How much?

Coach: $XXX + incentives of $XXX.

Dr. McElroy: 1. OK, We can do that. or 2. Are you kidding me (laughing as he opens the door). 3. Let me see what I can do, leave your cell on.

Dr. McElroy: 1. OK, We can do that. or 2. Are you kidding me (laughing as he opens the door). 3. Let me see what I can do, leave your cell on.

Most likely was 3.

Most likely was 3.

Agreed.

No news conference for the Bonnies or Danes means it ain't over yet.

We want quality athletics programs that compete for championships across the board. Most sports have no chance of being revenue producing. The state is not going to pay for them. UA alumni will have to step up, just like at all the other schools with good programs. No free lunches.

For those of us from out of town who can't make it up to Albany for a game maybe we should commit to giving a nominal amt directly to the Ath Dept (say $50 or $100/yr) - does that sound like a good idea?

We want quality athletics programs that compete for championships across the board. Most sports have no chance of being revenue producing. The state is not going to pay for them. UA alumni will have to step up, just like at all the other schools with good programs. No free lunches.

For those of us from out of town who can't make it up to Albany for a game maybe we should commit to giving a nominal amt directly to the Ath Dept (say $50 or $100/yr) - does that sound like a good idea?

A fantastic idea!

I read that post above too, and I thought that the poster was just speculating ... but I can't offer any information. :(

Roger reported that the meeting started at around 8:30 am and Will with Brien DePesqual (sp?) were seen leaving the meeting at around 9am. Dr.McElroys voice was heard in the background. News 13 had a photographer staking out the building.

I don't know who said that it's over and he's gona, its up to people to read into it what they think will happen. There have been no media reports to my knowledge that said he is gone.

Purely my own speculations but I think they met with Brown and were brought up to speed exactly what he would need to stay. Dr.McElroy will now talk with the powers that be and see if they can do anything. Then they will meet again and.....Yes we can or no we can't type of conversation will happen. JMHO

Bottom Line: basketball coaches at the D1 level make a lot of money, more than most other employees of the university. If we want to continue to rise in the athletic area, we have to pay up. Considering what other coaches in the conference are making, I say pay Will what he deserves. If you want to be BIG TIME, you have to make the commitment $$$. Make a fair offer and if Will declines, I wish him well. Forget all this stuff about SUNY and the administration. UA should be known around the country for all the great things that the university has to offer. lets lose the mindset that we are a D3 state school and focus on the future as a D1 national university known for great academics and athletics.

Bottom Line: basketball coaches at the D1 level make a lot of money, more than most other employees of the university. If we want to continue to rise in the athletic area, we have to pay up. Considering what other coaches in the conference are making, I say pay Will what he deserves. If you want to be BIG TIME, you have to make the commitment $$$. Make a fair offer and if Will declines, I wish him well. Forget all this stuff about SUNY and the administration. UA should be known around the country for all the great things that the university has to offer. lets lose the mindset that we are a D3 state school and focus on the future as a D1 national university known for great academics and athletics.

I agree with the point on the salaries in our athletic department. I especially agree that those who are still entrenched in a "state-college," self-defeating (and self-created IMHO) ethos should break out of that mindset. Going to a state school in most of the other states in this country is considered a "cool" thing. I'm glad that this is slowly becoming the mindset here. When I was a high schooler, there was no chance in heck I'd go to a private school over a public institution. Having grown up in the midwest, the thought of buying an $80K liberal arts degree made no sense to me (and still doesn't). Moreover, I knew (even as a teenager) that the big-time graduate programs were located, for the most part, at public institutions and that solid graduate programs often help drive a school's national ranking up.

I agree with the point on the salaries in our athletic department. I especially agree that those who are still entrenched in a "state-college," self-defeating (and self-created IMHO) ethos should break out of that mindset. Going to a state school in most of the other states in this country is considered a "cool" thing. I'm glad that this is slowly becoming the mindset here. When I was a high schooler, there was no chance in heck I'd go to a private school over a public institution. Having grown up in the midwest, the thought of buying an $80K liberal arts degree made no sense to me (and still doesn't). Moreover, I knew (even as a teenager) that the big-time graduate programs were located, for the most part, at public institutions and that solid graduate programs often help drive a school's national ranking up.

going to a state school isn't supposed to be cool? I never got that impression considering a good portion of my graduating class in highschool went to state schools whether it be SUNY or someplace out of state. I never realized there was this inferiority complex.

I know all eyes and ears have been fixated mainly on St. Bonaventure, but wouldn't it be good negotiating strategy for Coach Brown to hold off on a decision until after he's returned from the coaches enclave at the NCAA tourney ? You never know what other institution might be there casting about for a new coach.

On the other side, if Brown elects to stay at UA I hope there'll be some more provision in the new/revised agreement so that every time a coaching vacancy comes up there won't be more speculation (at least for awhile)

I know all eyes and ears have been fixated mainly on St. Bonaventure, but wouldn't it be good negotiating strategy for Coach Brown to hold off on a decision until after he's returned from the coaches enclave at the NCAA tourney ? You never know what other institution might be there casting about for a new coach.

On the other side, if Brown elects to stay at UA I hope there'll be some more provision in the new/revised agreement so that every time a coaching vacancy comes up there won't be more speculation (at least for awhile)

I doubt that Coach Brown has an unlimited amount of time to consider the Bonnies offer. If he turns them down they will need to find more candidates and the Final Four is the perfect opportunity for that.

Archived