UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

$275,000

Roger Wyland reporting McElroy countered and was close to $275k. Brown wants to stay, but wants UA to step up.

Good for Will if it is true, but the threat of St. Bonaventure warrants over a $100,000 raise?

I am going to hate to see what happens if the Seton Halls or St. John's of the world eventually come calling.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Roger Wyland reporting McElroy countered and was close to $275k. Brown wants to stay, but wants UA to step up.

Good for Will if it is true, but the threat of St. Bonaventure warrants over a $100,000 raise?

I am going to hate to see what happens if the Seton Halls or St. John's of the world eventually come calling.

I am going to guess this...pure guess, but from the contracts I have negotiated in the past...I can say there is going to be give and take. We are going to give Will pretty much what he wants...and good for him.

If we see a 2 year extension...which is something Will was keen on...I would expect some of those years to be guaranteed. The guarantee doesnt just make Will feel better in knowing he has a job (or is going to get paid if we ever asked him to leave); It also will protect UA with a significant buyout...IMHO of course.

The buyout basically guarantees the $$$ we added to his current base as a payback to release Will if other schools come calling. In a sense...we dont lose that much for the huge up front reward we are giving Will.

It gives protection to both Will and the Danes...and is the perfect win-win.

If indeed this new deal is true...KUDOS TO Dr. McElroy for effectively negotiating this deal...KUDOS to the people who came up with the dough (the UA Foundation and maybe SEFCU)....and BIG KUDOS TO WILL and JAMIE (does she spell it Jaime or Jamie...my sister goes by the former) for staying true to their word on loving the area and the school...but just wanting to see some love.

BTW...lost in all of this...how about a person whose husband has seemingly secured their family future yet still wants to go back to school. BIG UPS for Jamie wanting to continue her educatiion. Education seems to always get lost in the world of sports. Not only does Will get good kids who go to class (and his unique staking out of his players at their classes) but the family practices what it preaches.

This would be historic in many ways.

and BIG KUDOS TO WILL and JAMIE (does she spell it Jaime or Jamie...my sister goes by the former) for staying true to their word on loving the area and the school...but just wanting to see some love.

By the coach's bio on the UA site, "Jamie"

Those are, as of now, Big East schools - he would leave - that is why there will probably be a buy out clause to protect the University's investment. Often the buyout is equal to one year's base salary.

Don't ignore the fact that BINGO just hired their coach at 205K/year

As Dr. McElroy has stated the economics of the AE have changed.

This offer from UAlbany is NOT solely based on the Bonnie offer.

So far Coach Brown has publicly stated that he would like to stay here and Dr McElroy has publicly stated he will try to keep Coach here for as long as he can.

Was this courting of the Bonnies just a negotiation ploy?

I really do not think so.

Will had consider what they would offer - the A-10 is still a multi bid league for the big dance

Dr McElroy needed to see what the market rate for Coach Brown would be

Thankfully it appears that the situation at the University has improved vastly in the last five years and that a competitive offer can be put together to keep the Coach here.

Will has proven he is one of the top coaches in the league and he deserves to be paid accordingly.

Archived