UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MBB signing

From HOOPSCOOP- Friday 4/20/07

It also looks like 6'8 Albert Turley from Houston (Westfield) TX, who is ranked #578 nationally in the senior class by the HOOP SCOOP, has signed with Albany. We're talking about a physical specimen inside who averaged 14.5 ppg and 8.5 rpg and led the city in blocked shots with 4.2 bpg this past season. And making the story even more interesting is the fact that the Great Danes beat schools like New Orleans, Georgia, Purdue, New Mexico, Arkansas State, Southeastern Louisiana, and McNeese State for Turley's services.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The first player I thought of when I heard his size wasn't Peterkin but Adeleke from Hartford. Not saying he'll be that quality of player be we can hope. I'll enjoy seeing Turley go in against BUNY's Trifunovic. I don't see Lazar backing him down to the hoop.

And since Lazar only has one move, that bodes well for us. Granted it's a great move/unstoppable but it's still one move.

What is the one move? A hook shot from the lane w/ his right hand (it's just the one move I remember from the BPG ... )?

Yeh, he comes across the lane with the right hand hook or some variation of it.

Fellas, his one move is to back his way in and wheel to his right (as he is all right unless he does something about it over the summer). Covington did a decent job forcing him left. If If Jimmie continues to improve and Turley is everthing l that he is hyped to be on O AND plays with quick feet on D, Lazar's going to need to learn to shoot the 18 foot jump shot or he is going to disappear out there. ;)

Here's the press release on Turley's signing from TexasHoops.com

April 23, 2007

TexasHoops.com Recruiting Staff

In the recruiting process, Albert Turley was always open to going to new places and meeting new faces. Now after making his college decision official, the 6-foot-8, 290-pound post from Spring Westfield High School is going to get that chance. Late last week Turley put the pen to the paper on a letter-of-intent to take his massive size and skills to the Northeast and the America East Conference.

"I've signed with Albany," Turley said. "I went on a visit there two weekends ago and I liked it there pretty much. They have nice people up there and it's pretty much a nice setup - I like the campus."

Turley decided to go ahead and pull the trigger on Albany despite having a visit from Southeastern Louisiana in the works. It all came down to the feel he got from the Great Danes program and the chance to play right away.

"I was going to take that visit (to Southeastern Louisiana) but I decided on Albany," Turley said. "I have the opportunity to start, but I've just got to get into shape to get that chance. I'm at 289 (pounds) right now and I need to get down to about 265."

Turley noted that Albany is looking to play him at power forward, something he believes will be right up his alley.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Texas Hoops Analysis: ALBERT is a wide bodied paint player who can use his back side to create space and get good position on the low block. He is a good scorer around the rim, has good hands and can bully people with his size. He is a good position rebounder, is able to bang and compete physically on the defensive end and contests shots in the paint. He will have to work hard to stay in shape but has the tools to be a solid player at the next level.

Does anyone else realize the potential lineup

PG Lillis (DPOY) 6'5

SG Iati (ROY) 5'9

SF Wilson (AA3) 6'8

PF Turley (Fresh) 6'8

C Gifford 6'11

Probably not. Brent Wilson doesn't have the quicks to defend at small forward. In fact there's not a lot of speed in any part of that lineup.

I don't think he will have ANY difficulty losing 20 lbs. once on campus. Given the amount of running and conditioning that the team does, he could very well lose a lot of weight just like Gifford did. As a fan, I'm not the least bit worried about his weight at this point.

Does anyone else realize the potential lineup

PG Lillis (DPOY) 6'5

SG Iati (ROY) 5'9

SF Wilson (AA3) 6'8

PF Turley (Fresh) 6'8

C Gifford 6'11

What the...?

Brent is many things. Small forward, he is not.

Turley at PF and Gifford at center might be better when Brent is out of the game or the follwing year after he graduates. I feel for whoever has to guard him in practice, they are likely to take a pounding on a daily basis. I liked Reid Anderson or Ross at SF next year. The first handful of games should be interesting in terms of which player rotation, there are a lot of potential lineups next season.

I know we lost Jamar and Jason, but,with the additional experience of the returning players and what we have coming in,This team has the potential to be real good next year

I agree...it will be an adjustment but with UVM losing Trippani(sp?) I think we are in a good position to go back to back to back. If any of the incoming guys can give us solid minutes and if one or two of them can have a strong freshman campaign I think we have a chance to be very good.

I was also a little surprised with the coach saying that our schedule will be very tough as he stated in the past that he will schedule down a little this year. Should be a fun year and worth every penny of the $150 for season tickets.

Any planned upgrades for the CUE? How are season ticket sales going?

I know we lost Jamar and Jason, but,with the additional experience of the returning players and what we have coming in,This team has the potential to be real good next year

I agree...it will be an adjustment but with UVM losing Trippani(sp?) I think we are in a good position to go back to back to back. If any of the incoming guys can give us solid minutes and if one or two of them can have a strong freshman campaign I think we have a chance to be very good.

I was also a little surprised with the coach saying that our schedule will be very tough as he stated in the past that he will schedule down a little this year. Should be a fun year and worth every penny of the $150 for season tickets.

Any planned upgrades for the CUE? How are season ticket sales going?

Not only should we have exciting action at home, but we have some very do-able road games in our schedule too. For example, I hope many of us make it to Olean, NY for the Bona game, and if there is any truth to a rumor that I read on here awhile back that we play UMASS out there, that is an even easier game to attend. I would also encourage fellow UAlbany fans to make it out to the road game at Hartford this year. That is a very doable drive from Albany (two hours), and they have free pizza.

Echoing Boisy's comments, I also like our chances this year too. It's like Coach says, our goal is to compete for the A.E. title every year, and I think we are once again in that position. I would be very suprised to see any America East team go 15-1 in conference again this year, as I continue to believe that there is an inreasing level of parity in the conference. Moreover, I don't see UVM as being so dominant without Holm anchoring down the Great Wall of Burlington. I believe that we have gone 13-3 each of the past two seasons in-conference, and I would be thrilled to see another season like that, as I think 13-3 could very well win the league this year. Looking forward to the season starting ... .

Not really sure what to think of this, but just wanted to point it out.

As a general rule, I have relatively modest expectations from Freshmen, especially in the post, because they are often facing two huge adjustments - 1) they are still developing physically and growing into their bodies and 2) it is a big jump in opposition talent.

Turley has gotten a lot bigger since his Freshman yr. of H.S., but has anyone else noticed that he was 6'8" then and is still 6'8" now? Maybe the only adjustment he'll have to make is the level of play.

Archived