UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Ross leaving UA

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My limited take on the situation, and then I'm letting it go. It's good to read other perspectives here.

My initial feeling, probably like most of you, questioned why Brown would do such a thing to someone already committed to the school.

My second feeling in regard to Brown's quotation about "not being on the same page" questioned what Ross did to get Brown on his wrong side.

It's a personnel issue, so we won't know what really happened. It's protected somewhat by rules of confidentiality, and Ross is more at liberty to divulge his opinions than Brown can.

My continuing feeling is that this move frees up a position to a player who may have more going from him than Carl Ross does. I hope it turns out this way.

This incident just shows to what degree the program has changed for the positive. Four years ago we had to play only the limited players that were still available. John Iati played more than 40 minutes per game, and we had only 4 men at the end of the second Hartford game. I know some people don't like it when us old fart historians bring up the past, but sometimes it helps to put current events into perspective.

Now Brown has the option to choose his players before and during their time of play with us, instead of just coping with the hand dealt. I feel very sorry for Carl Ross, and I hope he has the opportunity to finish his college career contributing a lot on some court this coming season. In the meantime, I am looking forward to even more progress for UA on our court.

“The biggest thing is that Carl’s a really good kid, and he played well for us in the conference tournament,” Brown said. “But the biggest thing for me as a coach is consistency. I want guys that are real gym rats working on their game to compete at a high level. That was a major adjustment for Carl.”

Further explanation needed......Promoting a gym rat environment or fostering the education of the student athletes?

A coach can not give a scholarship to a player without it being approved by the AD.

I would imagine then that a Coach would have to go through the AD in order not to renew a scholarship.

The ramifications of not renewing a scholarship could have an impact on the Athletic Department as well as University so therefore I would imagine there is a system of checks and balances in place.

Not renewing a scholarship is a "BIG" deal and it is rarely done, so therefore there is more to this story.

There is almost nothing a coach can do without getting it approved by the Department.

Question: Does the releasing school (UA in this case) provide someone like Ross with the ability to play for another division I school next year or not? Is that how it works? In other words, does UAlbany control whether Ross can play at another Division I school next year, or is it the NCAA and its rules?

NCAA rules require any hoops player who transfers to another D1 school to sit a year. Some have suggested that if a player has his scholarship pulled, then he should be free to transfer without penalty, but that is not the case at this point.

One question raised by this is what the impact will be on the other players. It seems to create an uncertain or potentially tentative environment on the team. Might other players be concerned that they are not on the same page? Certainly seems like bad form at least.

One question raised by this is what the impact will be on the other players. It seems to create an uncertain or potentially tentative environment on the team. Might other players be concerned that they are not on the same page? Certainly seems like bad form at least.

I agree that it would certainly alert the players of the factual possibility of having a scholarship not renewed. My own view is that they should already be aware of the fact that a school can decline to renew a scholarship. The fact that UAlbany or any other school will actually carry out such a move should only be a concern to players who find themselves having the same status as Ross or who, at a minimum, fail to live up to the reprical agreement between the coach and the player or who breach the expectations that the coach has for them. In other words, and again IMHO, other players should only be concerned if they find their situation similar to Ross; to wit, a situation where the expectations of the coach are not met despite having discussed it with the player.

I also think that if any other player was close to being on the "same page" as apparently Ross was, then Coach would sit down with that player and talk to him and allow that player to work on or cure any deficiency in meeting the expectations of Coach.

Edited by UA_MA_2000

“The biggest thing is that Carl’s a really good kid, and he played well for us in the conference tournament,” Brown said. “But the biggest thing for me as a coach is consistency. I want guys that are real gym rats working on their game to compete at a high level. That was a major adjustment for Carl.”

Further explanation needed......Promoting a gym rat environment or fostering the education of the student athletes?

It does make you wonder what the "biggest thing" is, doesn't it? Look, one thing that hasn't really been addressed here is the fact that at the Division I level, football and men's basketball are a business, for better or worse. We like to think that these athletes don't get paid, but they do get paid in the form of tuition and living expenses to do a job. (Whether they get paid enough has been a matter of intense debate in some circles) An out-of-stater needs over $20k to attend and live at UAlbany, and a scholarship athlete receives this in exchange for meeting his/her expectations on and off the court.

Carl had a job to do for his employer, UAlbany. His supervisor, Will Brown, felt that Carl was not doing the job he was brought to UAlbany to do, so Carl was let go. I know a lot of us like to believe in the ideal of the student-athlete, and it does exist to a great extent, but players at this level are accepted into these schools to play basketball. That's why people like you and I pay attention to them. They do have to complete coursework and be good citizens, but their primary role is to get it done for the team on and off the court. Carl was getting it done on the court, but it seems that perhaps there were issues off the court. I recall a Will Brown quote earlier in the season, something to the effect of (paraphrasing) "If Carl buys into what we're trying to do here, he'll get more playing time and can be successful." That was a red flag for me way back because it indicated that Carl had not bought into the philosophy of the coaching staff.

Having said all that, I do feel bad for kids whose scholarships aren't renewed, just like I often feel for people who lose their jobs. A lot of these kids wouldn't get into colleges otherwise due to their economic and educational backgrounds (which is problem bigger than college sports and the small percentage who play them). So to have a scholarship yanked is tough, but from the University's side, the player's main job is to bring revenue and notariety to the school by playing ball, literally and figuratively. Will emphasizes work ethic a great deal, so being a gym rat is part of that.

I am concerned about the medium-term implications of this, because now recruits may see Brown as hard-hearted or too hard to please, but he and Lee McElroy probably weighed the pros and cons and made the decision that best suited their interest of seeing the team succeed.

Good luck to Carl, because I did enjoy watching him play. I don't like it when things like this happen, but they are a part of the business whether we like it or not.

Peace out,

S$

As far as I've read on here, no one really knows if he 'did his job' well enough to sustain his scholarship, or 'his pay'. Since he apparently didn't run afoul of the law or do something visibly heinous, this decision appears to have been subjective and entirely in the hands of the Coach and the AD.

I'm concerned about morale. Reward and punishment based solely on the boss' subjectivity is always dangerous in any workplace. Hopefully Carl Ross' fate was based on benchmarks known to the team and demanded of all team members. Because if a number of those guys are Carl Ross' friends and their perception is that Carl performed as up to the coach's expectations, it very well might breed the kind of discontent that poisons a group.

I hope I'm wrong because I'm jacked for next season, but the more the other guys understand about the reason, and buy into it, the healthier its going to be from a team perspective.

I've been following without posting for a while, but here's the situation, plain and simple:

1. We may have chanted Ross is Boss, but Brown is Boss. We just finished pining away at the possibliity of losing him to the Bonnies and now some of you guys are a chin hair away from calling for his head. He has built this program from the bottom up; we cringed that he might leave because we all have clearly seen he knows what he is doing. And Doc Mc would never, particularly now, veto Coach's call unless he was clearly way off base. We admire Carl for his contribution athletically and otherwise, but we didn't eat, crap and sleep with this team. Whatever happened should and will stay behind closed doors. Let's show the confidence we've had in Brown and move on.

2. The impact on the players will be negligible to nothing. They love Brown and for good reason. On top of that, if anyone has an insider's view on what was going on, they do. Might there be a lesson for them to take from this situation if they needed one? Probably. But this crew seems pretty tight. And let's not forget that while their on-court leader was Jamar, their off-court leader and on-court choreographer is Brown. Thank goodness they all understand that better than a bunch of us seem to. So, if we can, let's stop speculating about the kid's grades and other issues and wish him well. He brought something valuable to the table for us, but apparently had some issues. It seems to me that it is not for us to castigate anyone in this situation, but to respect that a coach we all clamored online for UA to keep sometimes has to make a tough call that we have to respect (at least until one of us is a DI head coach); and, yes, to feel for Carl's situation, hope that he rebounds (no pun intended) and lands a spot in a program where he will get major minutes, dazzle the crowd with his athleticism and get his degree.

Peace.

P.S.-query...how would you all feel if we had a player of immense ability who would helped us go deep into the DI tourney one year, gave us an excellent shot to win it the next year and opted for the NBA draft instead? We're not there yet, but when we are, it will happen. Will we chew that kid up and spit him out for leaving early because he has all those tools? And don't you think Brown would help that kid make a decision that was best for his future while Brown then put into play a backup plan to replace his star? It's just a different scenario in which tough decisions get made. So, let's move on. Hey, isn't it the time of the year when the school throws it's big Mayfest, or am I just showing my age?