UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Attendance for the NCAA first round:

Cornell 3327

UAlbany 2953

Hopkins 2548

UVa 2328

UMd 2200

Georgetown 2156

NC 1615

Duke 1534

Some Cornell fans also think the count was low ("5,000"). Every year there's a discussion on the I-AA football forum about undercounting (because the NCAA takes most of the gate receipts) but I think our count was pretty close.

I thought I read a remark in a local paper about Albany's attendance not being comparable to the traditional powers, but yesterday looks like we stack up pretty good.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The newspaper (TU) today mentions that the game was a sellout. I wonder if any fans were turned away.

Anyway, congratulations to the first team to win an NCAA game since we upgraded to Division I! Yesterday's game result will be the first of many more to come.

It was also great to trounce the "Crown Jewel of the MAAC," at least as far as men's lacrosse is concerned.

It was also great to trounce the "Crown Jewel of the MAAC," at least as far as men's lacrosse is concerned.

Except that Loyola is too good to actually play in the MAAC lacrosse league, they play in the ECAC.

A bit OT, but I was only able to listen to the game on WCDB and I was really impressed with whomever was doing the play-by-play. Its the only game I've listened to on WCDB and it was great. Is WCDB going to do the Cornell game?

A few random thoughts:

1. That was one very, very impressive performance by the lads of UA. It seemed that every time Loyola had something positive happen, Albany came back in a matter of seconds to score. In the fourth period, Albany was so dominant I had the distinct feeling it was men against boys. As someone already stated (Dane 96, I believe), the score differential could have been much worse had UA not called off the dogs with more than 5 minutes to go.

2. I got to the game about 15 minutes prior to to the start and they were still selling tickets. I don't think they stopped any sales since there was plenty of standing room. I too think that the official crowd numbers were much below the actual. All the stands were full and they were many, many people standing on the hill and sides of the field. I estimated closer to 5G.

3. Seven years ago when we went D1, I thought it would take ten or more years for our athletic teams to become respectable. And here we are completing our 7th year and the number of teams and individuals (track and field) who have gone on to NCAA tournaments is absolutely astonishing. This is a great tribute to the school, the athletic director, and the coaches who have built this program. And this D1 program is still only in its infancy.

Except that Loyola is too good to actually play in the MAAC lacrosse league, they play in the ECAC.

It's not fair to Loyola to be mentioned in the same breath as MAAC Lacrosse. That's why they have chosen not to participate in the MAAC for Lacrosse.

It's not fair to Loyola to be mentioned in the same breath as MAAC Lacrosse. That's why they have chosen not to participate in the MAAC for Lacrosse.

A bit OT, but I was only able to listen to the game on WCDB and I was really impressed with whomever was doing the play-by-play. Its the only game I've listened to on WCDB and it was great. Is WCDB going to do the Cornell game?

thanks for the words. I do the pbp. We are going to do our best to get there. I am 75% sure we are going to make the trip. Keep checking the WCDB website, we will post if we are doing it or not.

That's why Loyola chooses not to participate in the MAAC Lacrosse league. They want competition. The MAAC is clearly the weakest D1 Lacrosse league.

thanks for the words. I do the pbp. We are going to do our best to get there. I am 75% sure we are going to make the trip. Keep checking the WCDB website, we will post if we are doing it or not.

I thought you did, but I wasn't sure. It was great. A very professional broadcast.

Pretty big upsets yesterday.

Delaware over Virginia and UMBC over Maryland (not a huge upset, but still an upset). Two AEast teams in the semis would be great!!!!!!!!!!!!

Georgetown and Hopkins were both taken to OT as well.

Attendance for the NCAA first round:

Cornell 3327

UAlbany 2953

Hopkins 2548

UVa 2328

UMd 2200

Georgetown 2156

NC 1615

Duke 1534

This speaks volumes about the growth of Lacrosse in the Albany area!!!!!

Archived