UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

TU Article today on Siena

No doubt they will have a good crowd for the Stanford game, ... they dipped during and post Lanier years but apparently are rebounding now.

Well, not exactly

Siena average home attendance, NOT counting the UAlbany game:

2002-03 7,087

2003-04 6,259

2004-05 6,234 - boosted by 14,000 vs. Syracuse

2005-06 5,105

2006-07 5,415 - 7,100 for James Madison, 6,700 +/- for Manhattan and Marist, no other games over 5,800

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is annoying is the fact that Siena is unable to put asses in seats unless they're hosting Albany. Doesn't that give us enough leverage to do something about the home team b.s that we have to put up with each year?

As much as I like the game, I'd rather walk away from it until there is some equity built into the contract. Why should we provide such an annual windfall for their program. Let them find other teams to bring them 10,000+.

When they learn that no one is interested in seeing them, they'll come back looking to cut a new deal.

No doubt they will have a good crowd for the Stanford game, ... they dipped during and post Lanier years but apparently are rebounding now.

Well, not exactly

2002-03 7,087

2003-04 6,259

2005-06 5,105

2006-07 5,415 - 7,100 for James Madison, 6,700 +/- for Manhattan and Marist, no other games over 5,800

UA,

Good numbers, perhaps I was a little of in my post. The only minor point of contention I might have is that it would be fair to include all games, regardless who the opponent is. But again, thats minor! We'll have to watch if this latest round of "improvements" will have any effect.

Cheers!

Well, not exactly

2002-03 7,087

2003-04 6,259

2005-06 5,105

The key to your stats are that in the 2002-2005 seasons, Lanier wasn't afraid to schedule the big name opponents. That's why we had more fans in those years, even though we were losing. Lanier's failure to win games was in (a small) part due to his over-aggressive schedule. With better teams slated for 2007-2008, I expected us to get closer to the 6,000-7000 range, but the athletics department's perplexing decision to limit fans to Stanford and St. Joe's may stifle that goal.

Well, not exactly

2002-03 7,087

2003-04 6,259

2005-06 5,105

UAalum72, great research. Did anyone on here go to the Syracuse vs. Siena game? What was it like? I vaguely remember that game (but hardly). Was there a lot of orange in the crowd? I know that there are so many SU fans around here (including myself when UA isn't involved), so I figured that there might be just as many SU fans as Siena fans at the game in '04.

UAalum72, great research. Did anyone on here go to the Syracuse vs. Siena game? What was it like? I vaguely remember that game (but hardly). Was there a lot of orange in the crowd? I know that there are so many SU fans around here (including myself when UA isn't involved), so I figured that there might be just as many SU fans as Siena fans at the game in '04.

The one time when UA hosted Syracuse (at the Pepsi), the attendance was listed at 9,000. It was the only time I had decent seats for a basketball game at that venue. There were far more Orange fans at the game as UA supporters. I suspect that a large percentage of fans were seeing UA for the first time; perhaps those in attendance from the Capital District area were there more for curiosity.

It's nice to see how things have changed in our favor in recent years. The Bucknell game from last year serves as a great contrast.

The key to your stats are that in the 2002-2005 seasons, Lanier wasn't afraid to schedule the big name opponents. That's why we had more fans in those years, even though we were losing. Lanier's failure to win games was in (a small) part due to his over-aggressive schedule. With better teams slated for 2007-2008, I expected us to get closer to the 6,000-7000 range, but the athletics department's perplexing decision to limit fans to Stanford and St. Joe's may stifle that goal.

I looked up those numbers in response to a claim that Siena's season ticket base was growing quickly, which is why I didn't include the UAlbany game.

If they came because of the opponent, maybe they weren't 'your' fans, just fans of basketball.

Or maybe they came BECAUSE they expected you to lose, like one person I might name. :lol:

Well, not exactly

2002-03 7,087

2003-04 6,259

2005-06 5,105

Yes. I went to the Syracuse - Siena game. From my perspective it seemed like a Syracuse home game. Of coarse back then I had Syracuse football season tickets and I walked over to the Syracuse box office at half time of a football game to buy the b-ball tickets. I was in the upper deck . Obviously my section was all Syracuse, but it seemed like much more of the upper deck than not was Syracuse fans.

I looked up those numbers in response to a claim that Siena's season ticket base was growing quickly, which is why I didn't include the UAlbany game.

If they came because of the opponent, maybe they weren't 'your' fans, just fans of basketball.

Or maybe they came BECAUSE they expected you to lose, like one person I might name. :lol:

UAalum72, you make some good observations. Both apply in my case and I am sure there is more than one person who goes to the siena games to see them lose.

Like the Stanford game this season. Sure if there are no UA games or better games that day, I will go to the TUC and see them play. I have never seen them play and it is a little easier to drive to the Knick than to California. Of coarse if the game sells out, I am not going to worry about it and I certainly am not going to buy $20 tickets for maac games

No doubt they will have a good crowd for the Stanford game, they also do remarkably well for a "mid-major", they dipped during and post Lanier years but apparently are rebounding now. The math simply cannot be denied (there is a thread on their board with a link to attendance figures). No doubt they would be better suited with a building on campus but I guess that won't ever happen in the current environment. No doubt we like to josh them a little as they have some real mental midgets on their board (I'm sure they think the same of us) but we gotta call it like it is. I do have to say though I found it funny the notion that some of them believe in (from past conversations) that the UA vs. Seina game means more to us then them. But yet our game is the only one that will get the garbage bags removed from the seats.

The thread on their boar "New Configuration" and especially the post on the first page by misspractice is freaking classic. I had to actually laugh out loud!

"When it's sold out, it's sold out." Except it's not. Pathetic and sad. I almost feel bad for them; what a horrible environment for college basketball.

What is annoying is the fact that Siena is unable to put asses in seats unless they're hosting Albany. Doesn't that give us enough leverage to do something about the home team b.s that we have to put up with each year?

As much as I like the game, I'd rather walk away from it until there is some equity built into the contract. Why should we provide such an annual windfall for their program. Let them find other teams to bring them 10,000+.

When they learn that no one is interested in seeing them, they'll come back looking to cut a new deal.

This board either lives in fantasy land or you guys are supreme spinners. Will Brown would kill for Siena’s attendance

Yea pity poor Siena. They avg almost 3,000 fan a game more than Albany. Siena seldom had less than 5,000 for any game

Siena will probably double Albany’s attendance this season, reaffirming once again why Siena is the premier basketball program in the Albany area

As for the game at the TUC, I’m tired of hearing you Albany fans whine about the game. If you don’t like the terms, go elsewhere, Albany makes out fine financially from the game, you guys shoot from the hip without knowing the facts. No wonder Will Brown takes shots at the uneducated posters on this board. The main reason why you Albany fans want out because Siena “owns” UAlb we beat you head to head almost every year. And that is the rub for most of the posters on this board

See you at the TUC this year boys for Siena’s annual win over Albany!!

Siena Tony Happy Memorial Day Weekend.

You are truly amazing, consistently makking bogus statements.....

As for the game at the TUC, I’m tired of hearing you Albany fans whine about the game. If you don’t like the terms, go elsewhere, Albany makes out fine financially from the game, you guys shoot from the hip without knowing the facts.
Albany does not make out as well as Siena, thats what matters.

Siena seldom had less than 5,000 for any game

Last year you had 5 games below 5,000 and two others just barely over it. Many of your FANS? come as empty seats. Siena usually plays in a 1/3 full huge arena with ZERO college basketball atmosphere while UA plays to a 3/4 full total basketball enviorment with real students in attendance.

Your Senior Citizen fan base pays for seats and doesn't show up and still are counted.

Siena's solution hide the empty seats.

No wonder Will Brown takes shots at the uneducated posters on this board.

Those remarks Coach Brown made did not mention UA fans or any others directly. His comments were probably aimed at your board as you seem obsessed with UA basketball and Coach Brown.

===========================================================================

For Siena's sake I hope Fran has scheduled 9 more 300+ RPI wins this year.

This board either lives in fantasy land or you guys are supreme spinners. Will Brown would kill for Siena’s attendance

Yea pity poor Siena. They avg almost 3,000 fan a game more than Albany.

Siena will probably double Albany’s attendance this season, reaffirming once again why Siena is the premier basketball program in the Albany area

As for the game at the TUC, I’m tired of hearing you Albany fans whine about the game. If you don’t like the terms, go elsewhere, Albany makes out fine financially from the game, you guys shoot from the hip without knowing the facts. No wonder Will Brown takes shots at the uneducated posters on this board. The main reason why you Albany fans want out because Siena “owns” UAlb we beat you head to head almost every year. And that is the rub for most of the posters on this board

See you at the TUC this year boys for Siena’s annual win over Albany!!

"Siena seldom had less than 5,000 for any game"

Try getting your facts correct . LCC had 5 games out of 13 games not against UA of less than 5,000 fans. 3 more games barely over 5000(5007,5013,5017). Being that 8 out of the 13 home games were under 5100 , I find it more accurate to say Siena seldom draws over 5100 except when playing UA.

"Siena will probably double Albany’s attendance this season, reaffirming once again why Siena is the premier basketball program in the Albany area"

Is that how college basketball teams are measured? I always tought the goal was to win conference championships and go to the ncaa and it doesn't hurt that the second year of the 2 in a row AE was ranked higher than the maac. If Siena actually lives up to the hype this year and makes the ncaa tournament with a winning record for the first time this century, then they can talk.

"If you don’t like the terms, go elsewhere, Albany makes out fine financially from the game, you guys shoot from the hip without knowing the facts"

Like you know the facts. You couldn't even get the facts of LCC's own attendence figures published on LCC"s own website correct. I heard from a reputable source that UA only gets 1500 tickets from this game. If that is true, the terms suck. Until I get facts from a reputable source disputing that , that is what I go on and yes the game should be canceled for a team that will pay more than $30,000 OR a team that will play a home and home in my opinion.

Bob87 and patch …..I think your Siena’s hurt!

Siena is one of if not the best drawing mid major in the Northeast. Siena lowest attendance game was better than Albany’s best game- care to debate that?

Sure go ahead and deflect from the fact that Siena owns Ualb. We beat you the last two years with the best Albany teams of all time, at the same time Siena was rebuilding… newsflash Bob rebuild complete. While anything can happen in a rivalry game, you better hope your freshmen are ready to play or the game this year could get ugly in a hurry. No wonder you Albany guys have Siena cramps

And oh yea…. Happy Memorial Day to all you Albany fans!!

Bob87 and patch …..I think your Siena’s hurt!

Siena is one of if not the best drawing mid major in the Northeast. Siena lowest attendance game was better than Albany’s best game- care to debate that?

Sure go ahead and deflect from the fact that Siena owns Ualb. We beat you the last two years with the best Albany teams of all time, at the same time Siena was rebuilding… newsflash Bob rebuild complete. While anything can happen in a rivalry game, you better hope your freshmen are ready to play or the game this year could get ugly in a hurry. No wonder you Albany guys have Siena cramps

And oh yea…. Happy Memorial Day to all you Albany fans!!

LCC Tony

I think you just went into classic LCC tony mode. No facts so resort to name calling . I don't have time for this now. I am on my way to baseball. Later today could be the 4th UA team I saw clinch an NCAA berth this season. Enjoy you off season for ALL the Siena teams.

Archived