UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

ALBANY IN THE NCAA TOURNAMENT WILL TAKE ON...

Might I add that most of our university isn't even within the City of Albany. It's in Colonie and East Greenbush. Maybe we should go by "East Greenbush State" or "UEast Greenbush"... and god forgive those idiots across America that don't know East Greenbush is in New York. It's a big country, you know? It doesn't stop at the edge of Buffalo or NYC. If I told you I was going to "Columbia State", would you know it's South Carolina? No. Now, cut the average American some slack, will you? 8th grade geography state capitols was a long time ago. Albany doesn't come up in the average Joe's conversation too often... or never (think outside of NY, e.g. Wisconsin, California or Texas). SUNY choose to name its national university centers after towns and therefore we need the (NY) brackets. I'm not even sure what a Stonybrook is... is that the town name? Were there no smaller towns that SUNY could have named the university after? Why isn't there a ULake George? I'm sure the average American would immediately know that's New York.

God forbid our state university have "New York" in the title without adding a 4 character acronym that reminds us all of an Islamic denomination.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Might I add that most of our university isn't even within the City of Albany. It's in Colonie and East Greenbush. Maybe we should go by "East Greenbush State" or "UEast Greenbush"... and god forgive those idiots across America that don't know East Greenbush is in New York. It's a big country, you know? It doesn't stop at the edge of Buffalo or NYC. If I told you I was going to "Columbia State", would you know it's South Carolina? No. Now, cut the average American some slack, will you? 8th grade geography state capitols was a long time ago. Albany doesn't come up in the average Joe's conversation too often... or never (think outside of NY, e.g. Wisconsin, California or Texas). SUNY choose to name its national university centers after towns and therefore we need the (NY) brackets. I'm not even sure what a Stonybrook is... is that the town name? Were there no smaller towns that SUNY could have named the university after? Why isn't there a ULake George? I'm sure the average American would immediately know that's New York.

God forbid our state university have "New York" in the title without adding a 4 character acronym that reminds us all of an Islamic denomination.

Honestly, these posts are starting to tire me. MOVE OUT OF ATLANTA IF YOU DONT LIKE IT. I spent a full 20 minutes typing posts in the past explaining the ALBANY plans for sports, academic growth, etc. I also spent time telling you how I understood what you felt, since I too lived in the South (Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville, various locales in Florida, and Virginia).

I even pm'd you...and you seemed to understand our growth. I explained how I was recruited to UBuffalo because they were the "UCLA of the EAST!"

Honestly...this is the wrong forum for your rants about SUNY. I understand WHAT YOU MEAN...but instead of wasting your argument here, where we can do nothing about it, do as I HAVE DONE: WRITE Dr. McElroy; Write the Provost; Write the President of Albany; Write the Mayor; and Write to Eliot Spitzer.

Fact is, I can go on and on about state schools that HAPPEN to go by the TOWN name they are in. And while it is what it is with SUNY, at least Spitzer is trying to make a move.

While I agree with your premise, your constant rants about why we suck because of our non- UNY designation or because we are not UGA are really getting old. I have yet to see you post about anything promising.

Oh...and our campus is not in Colonie...or E. Greenbush...so get your facts straight. The MAJORITY of our campus is in McKnownville and Albany.

Hello Great Dane fans!

i would like to personally invite anyone who is traveling to the Fayetteville Regional (or anyone you know who is) to stop by and say hello at our usual tailgate we have every weekend for Razorback Baseball

we have a specially prepared bus with a living room, satellite TV and our grill outside to make everyone happy

we are always parked as shown below:

Untitled-1copy.jpg

so, come see us, have a great regional, but beat the OTHER teams, not the Hogs!

FansBB_3OLM07_05.jpg

joe (otherhogbusguy)

Baum.jpg

p.s. sorry about you guys being called the greyhounds. wasn't intentional. they have it correct now.

Ditto to otherhogbusguy.....we hope to see some of you in Fayetteville. Our cooking crew is at the opposite end of "tailgate row", and might I suggest you grab a plate and try to sample from the whole row....while you probably won't make it, you will be welcomed as a fellow fan of college baseball.

Also, we are one of the few teams that routinely smoke/barbecue/fry and consume our mascot before each game. We love the hogs just that much.

And kudo's to an incredibly diverse athletic program.....and taking the highbrow Cornell folks to overtime in one of the best sports ever (2nd only to baseball). (folks down here don't really know what it is)

My vote would be for the name University of New York (or "UNY-Albany" or just "UNY"; though SUNY-Albany is essentially already this). Heck of a way to stamp our claim as the flagship school of New York too. But I'm also content with the name "UAlbany". It has a Northeast feel to it -- UMASS, UCONN, etc.

Ditto to otherhogbusguy.....we hope to see some of you in Fayetteville. Our cooking crew is at the opposite end of "tailgate row", and might I suggest you grab a plate and try to sample from the whole row....while you probably won't make it, you will be welcomed as a fellow fan of college baseball.

Also, we are one of the few teams that routinely smoke/barbecue/fry and consume our mascot before each game. We love the hogs just that much.

And kudo's to an incredibly diverse athletic program.....and taking the highbrow Cornell folks to overtime in one of the best sports ever (2nd only to baseball). (folks down here don't really know what it is)

otherhogbusguy and swatters

Thanks for the kind words and the invites. I looks like at lot of fun. Unfortunately I don't have the time to make for the 1380 mile trip so I will have to watch the games on CSTV this weekend. Hopefully they are good games.

I hope to make it to an Arkansas game or the SEC tournament on some time in the future. Good luck to you guys except against UAlbany.

We are who we are--and we are called what we are called---Be proud our Players and Coaches have had the success they have had. Most Universities wait years to get ONE sport into the NCAA Fields. Look what we have done just this year!

Men's Hoops, Volleyball, Track & Field, Softball, Men's Lacrosse all in the NCAA's. Other teams participated strongly in America East tournaments.

Sit back and soak it in. Tune in to CSTV on friday evening and watch the Baseball Danes on a National stage.

Hey from Arkansas...We are looking forward to having you into Fayetteville. If ya'll need any suggestions on eating, lodging, entertainment etc let me know and I can help you out.

See you in Fayetteville...

Hoggfather

Don't be scared. We don't bite.

And if you come, you'll get to meet a famous Arkansas Fan B)

The Clintons will be there????? :P

Thanks for the rolling out the welcome committee guys! Things like this are what makes NCAA sports so much better than pro!

Welcome Arkansas fans! I remember cheering for the Hogs when Scotty Thurman hit that HUGE 3-point shot in the '94 NCAA Mens Basketball Championship game. That was fantastic! I want to say that he shot it over Grant Hill, but I don't remember preceisely who the Duke defender was; I just remember it was shot from the right side of the court, near side (at least for the television viewer).

Welcome Arkansas fans! I remember cheering for the Hogs when Scotty Thurman hit that HUGE 3-point shot in the '94 NCAA Mens Basketball Championship game. That was fantastic! I want to say that he shot it over Grant Hill, but I don't remember preceisely who the Duke defender was; I just remember it was shot from the right side of the court, near side (at least for the television viewer).

Grant Hill was the guy....I as watching that game in Bud Walton Arena with about 10,000 of my closest friends and when he shot the entire place stopped breathing until it went through...good times...

The only time I remember rooting for Arkansas was when they played the $iena 'aints in the NCAA basketball tournament.

Thanks for the invites but I doubt there will be more than a few parents making the trip.

Coach Mueller was on Dan Murphy's radio show today. The team is splitting the travel into two groups, half thru Chicago, half thru Baltimore, and meeting in Tulsa, then the bus to Fayetteville. Coach's family will be in the skyboxes. Hogs are going to start their #3 pitcher against us. Arkansas Democrat Gazette

We've got a lot of seniors and he hopes that could make a difference. While many of the player may 'just be happy to be here', coach hopes we can surprise people and do some damage.

'It's not basketball, where some seven-foot guy can dominate the paint, we'll just roll the balls out and see what happens.'

As for Albany (NY) there's no logic to it. We'll just have to win a lot before they drop the NY - not everybody has stopped adding "PA" to St. Joseph's - but I don't remember anything being won by the colleges that anybody knows what states Murray and Weber are in. But if I ever have to refer to the Bulldawgs I'll remember to call them University of Georgia (USA) so they don't get confused with Tblisi State (Republic of Georgia).

Grant Hill was the guy....I as watching that game in Bud Walton Arena with about 10,000 of my closest friends and when he shot the entire place stopped breathing until it went through...good times...

The thing that I remember most about that shot was how incredible the arc was because Grant was jumping right up in his face. I vaguely remember Thurman being around 6'5" or so, but that's a from-the-hip guess.

St. Johns (NY) also has a state desingation on the bracket as well. Isn't the goal to get as much ink as possible?

In any event, Creighton has a switch pitching pitcher - Throws both right and left handed. I don't know that I've ever seen that before. Too bad that game is on too early for me to see, I'd like to see how he switches gloves in the middle of the inning.

Archived